• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM1250 Ignition Sense bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

How do you bypass the Ignition Sense function on the radio so I can reprogram it without buying the cable??

Which cable are you trying to avoid the purchase of, the ignition sense or programing cable ?

Your question is a bit confusing the way you asked it.

Not sure but I think this is what you seek - If you short together the accessory connector pins 7 & 9 and then apply power to the main power cable the radio will power up. Take a look over at batlabs for the actual accessory conn pinout diagram.

siren134

Radio will not turn on without the Ignition sense cable connected , that's why I was looking to bypass it. I have programing software and cable only on my desktop.

DPapay

cdm mobile

If the mobile will not power up by pressing the volume control, but will only power up with the ignition cable, pin 10, then the radio is programmed in cps for "follow ignition only". This can be bypassed by a jumper on pins 10 and 4, not 7 and 9 like a previous post. 10 and 4 jumper should work unless pin 4 has been changed to another function in cps. Comes default as null though.

fineshot1

If the mobile will not power up by pressing the volume control, but will only power up with the ignition cable, pin 10, then the radio is programmed in cps for "follow ignition only". This can be bypassed by a jumper on pins 10 and 4, not 7 and 9 like a previous post. 10 and 4 jumper should work unless pin 4 has been changed to another function in cps. Comes default as null though.

I did not mention shorting pins 7 & 9 off the cuff. I do radio installs and repair as a profession every day at work. This is an un-documented method of bypassing the ignition sense. It works and I have radios on my bench and in the field in service that I have done this to. I did not make it up.

DPapay

I also work on this stuff every day. I guess I cannot say you are wrong. If your mobile works that way? Then that's the way it works. Before I posted though, I had a new CDM1250 on my bench, just for kicks I shorted 7 and 9, the radio did not power up. Traditionally 7 and 9 are the default emergency switch jumper for the radius line. Please do not take any offense to my post, that was not my intention.

fineshot1

I also work on this stuff every day. I guess I cannot say you are wrong. If your mobile works that way? Then that's the way it works. Before I posted though, I had a new CDM1250 on my bench, just for kicks I shorted 7 and 9, the radio did not power up. Traditionally 7 and 9 are the default emergency switch jumper for the radius line. Please do not take any offense to my post, that was not my intention.

No offense taken. Pin 7 is ground and 9 is listed as the "Tri State Emergency Switch" and if it is at its default setting and not programed for any other use it should work as I described. 7 & 9 get shorted and once the main power plug on the CDM gets power the radio should power up. Its worked that way on every one I have in the field(about a dozen) and the one I have on the bench. I learned this on batlabs about a year or two ago. However that is not to say Moto did not make any changes on newer version radios cause the ones I have done this to with success are all older radios.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
No offense taken. Pin 7 is ground and 9 is listed as the "Tri State Emergency Switch" and if it is at its default setting and not programed for any other use it should work as I described. 7 & 9 get shorted and once the main power plug on the CDM gets power the radio should power up. Its worked that way on every one I have in the field(about a dozen) and the one I have on the bench. I learned this on batlabs about a year or two ago. However that is not to say Moto did not make any changes on newer version radios cause the ones I have done this to with success are all older radios.

hey, so i tried to short pin 7 and 9, and i programmed the radio on "follow ignition only" but it didnt trun on when i started the car!
so im getting the power from a cigarette outlet (15amp)! also have a external speaker plugged! all pins are on null except pin 1. any ideas?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hey, so i tried to short pin 7 and 9, and i programmed the radio on "follow ignition only" but it didnt trun on when i started the car!
so im getting the power from a cigarette outlet (15amp)! also have a external speaker plugged! all pins are on null except pin 1. any ideas?
That is the worst possible way to program the CDM's. The way you have programmed it, the radio will only come on when +12vdc is applied to Pin #10. That's a real problem when the radio is on the bench. Set them for On/Off & Ignition. They won't require the ignition sense to power up, but you will have to turn them on manually by pressing the center of the volume knob.

If you want the radio to come on when you start the car, run your main power cable hot to the battery and ground to a factory grounding point. Then take run/accessory +12v and run it to pin 10 on the accessory port.

The 7/9 shorting trick requires 9 to be properly programmed. It works on some radios and not on others. While some folks swear by it, I prefer to use ignition sense in the CDM's the way Motorola advises in the install manual.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
That is the worst possible way to program the CDM's. The way you have programmed it, the radio will only come on when +12vdc is applied to Pin #10. That's a real problem when the radio is on the bench. Set them for On/Off & Ignition. They won't require the ignition sense to power up, but you will have to turn them on manually by pressing the center of the volume knob.

If you want the radio to come on when you start the car, run your main power cable hot to the battery and ground to a factory grounding point. Then take run/accessory +12v and run it to pin 10 on the accessory port.

The 7/9 shorting trick requires 9 to be properly programmed. It works on some radios and not on others. While some folks swear by it, I prefer to use ignition sense in the CDM's the way Motorola advises in the install manual.

lemme see if i understood you correct, so you are saying connect the jack to pin 10 (i have the ignition kit) and connect the other end to the positive side of battery? or can i connect the other end (coming from pin10) to positive wire going to the radio?

also, i know you said it's not a good way to do it, but just wanna know, if i leave it like how i programmed it, is it gonna work if i connect the pin 10 to the radio's power source?

thanks for replying!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
do you want the radio on and off with your key? then put pin 10 to a source that come on and off with the key It you connect it to the main it will stay on and have to be turned on and off when you get into and out of the car..

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
do you want the radio on and off with your key? then put pin 10 to a source that come on and off with the key It you connect it to the main it will stay on and have to be turned on and off when you get into and out of the car..

yes i want it to be turned on and off when i start the car, the problem is i dont want to do anything to the ignition or mess up the fuse box. so im trying to figure out where else i can connect the other end of pin 10

clbsquared

yes i want it to be turned on and off when i start the car, the problem is i dont want to do anything to the ignition or mess up the fuse box. so im trying to figure out where else i can connect the other end of pin 10
"Ignition Sense" doesn't mean you're connecting the radio directly to the ignition. The ignition sense cable just needs to receive power from a "switched" acc circuit to turn the radio on. They make a fuse adapter that allows you to add a second accessory to an individual circuit.

Here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011WH6HP...t=&hvlocphy=9059779&hvtargid=pla-319796936125

In the past, I have run them off of the AM/FM stereo circuit.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
ohh ok i got you. i thought that means it has to go to ignition. ok so all i have to do is buy one of those and connect it to the fuse box and run the other end to the pin 10?
1-does it matter which fuse i connect it to? has to be a certain number?
2- is there anywhere else that i can connect it to rather than the fuse box? what happens if i connect it to a positive cigarette outlet?

thanks all for replying.

Amir

Fure Tap is the BEST you can make it HOT or IGN from the fuse its up to you the IGN would turn it on and off with the key.you need a TEST light to find a IGN on\off fuse to use the Fuse Tap Amazon sells them.
forgot the Cigarette Outlet

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
Fure Tap is the BEST you can make it HOT or IGN from the fuse its up to you the IGN would turn it on and off with the key.you need a TEST light to find a IGN on\off fuse to use the Fuse Tap Amazon sells them.
forgot the Cigarette Outlet

tnx for replying. i'll order that part and find somewhere in the fuse box to add it!
in the fuse box, what apm i should be looking for? any min or max number?

Status
Not open for further replies.