change Threshold Mode

Since the of Firmware Update 1.11.20 How is your P-25 reception?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hello! I have my BCD536HP threshold mode set to manual and level to 8. This was done several months ago.

I would like to set the mode back to auto, but I can't find the procedure in the manual. Can someone shed a light on it for me?

Last edited:

Drumbum

Bcd436hp ? I was just thinking this today and would like to know how to do it on the fly

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Two ways-

On the scanner: Menu>Manage Favorites<scroll to applicable FL>Review/Edit System<scroll to applicable system>Edit Site<scroll to applicable site>Digital Threshold Mode<scroll to Auto. Then repeatedly press Menu until you resum scanning.

Via Sentinel: Edit the applicable Favorites List and click on the site you wish to change. Then click the options tab where you will see Digital Threshold Mode and there is a drop down box where you can change the value to Auto.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Two ways-

On the scanner: Menu>Manage Favorites<scroll to applicable FL>Review/Edit System<scroll to applicable system>Edit Site<scroll to applicable site>Digital Threshold Mode<scroll to Auto. Then repeatedly press Menu until you resum scanning.

Via Sentinel: Edit the applicable Favorites List and click on the site you wish to change. Then click the options tab where you will see Digital Threshold Mode and there is a drop down box where you can change the value to Auto.

Thanks so much!

Drumbum

I was hoping there was a way to do it in real time like with the 396T you can hit Function a few times and adjust while it is on the channel. not a big deal though the 436 does great at default

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Poll Operation of x36HP after Firmware

I've added a Poll for the forum members to join in and add your opinion of the performance of your x36HP scanner after applying the firmware.

Thank you

troymail

Silent Key
The belief of and need to change a setting like this is the reason I abandoned Uniden after the 396T. Digital decode tweaking was incredibly frustrating. The radio has the ability to adjust itself that is now more than 10 years old that should take care of this problem. Don't ask me why I bought a 436 and 536 (other than I just like to have the latest toys in my collection) but I switched to GRE with the PSR-500 and have never had to make these types of adjustments - it just works.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
The belief of and need to change a setting like this is the reason I abandoned Uniden after the 396T. Digital decode tweaking was incredibly frustrating. The radio has the ability to adjust itself that is now more than 10 years old that should take care of this problem. Don't ask me why I bought a 436 and 536 (other than I just like to have the latest toys in my collection) but I switched to GRE with the PSR-500 and have never had to make these types of adjustments - it just works.

troymail, You have helped me in the past with solutions to my needs for operating the x36HP's for which I'm grateful. I've always admired your talent, skills and knowledge of these systems, for which I thank you.

Reason for my making adjustments to the threshold mede and level were prompted by the firmware update last November. Never before have I had any problems with firmware downloads until November. That download took a great operational scanner and set it down to be a complete mess. With help from the forum members, none being Paul Opitz, I was able to get the scanner back to 85% of where it was before the download.

I talked with customer service to no avail. Their old story, "haven't heard of that one before, but I'll get back to you" I'm still waiting! Samething I heard about the 536 LEDS.

I've noticed in recent days, the P25 system which I monitor changed within itself. Distorted and jumbled communication. Being depressed I reverted back to < AUTO > mode at < Level 8 > where it should be.
Consequently the scanners are back to 100% operating efficiency.
Can I explain this abnormality, No!

Thank you.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping there was a way to do it in real time like with the 396T you can hit Function a few times and adjust while it is on the channel. not a big deal though the 436 does great at default

Are you talking about changing the threshold on the fly or manual and auto? For just the threshold , you can do it like you mentioned for the 396.

From marks scanners,

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

Drumbum

Really, I have tried it a few times, I guess I didn't mess with it long enough, your do you have to switch auto off in settings first

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it (though I don't understand it too well) the Threshold Mode and Threshold Level go hand in hand.

Auto means the scanner will try to automatically deal with bit error rate issues. The Level is the point where it begins to start its process of adjusting. Since transmissions are short, one wants to get a pretty close starting point.

There are many variables in play when "perfecting" P25 performance and as such no one size fits all. It takes a lot of time to come up with the best combination. And times of the year could be factors. Signal levels are different in winter because trees don't have leaves soaking up the RF, etc.

Drumbum

When they allow use of Butel programming software I may consider trying one out, until then I will use my 436HP ,does the job well I haven't had a need to adjust just wondered if you could like the old unit,

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Subscriber radios are tweaked one time to operate on the one system they are set up to operate on. Scanners have to be able to operate on any of thousands of systems, all set up differently.

garys

Premium Subscriber
And doesn't have half the feature set of the x36HP scanners. I don't know who you mean by "they", but I know that for the Motorola XT2500 there were something like 12 firmware updates before they got them working properly. That was on both analog and digital channels. Or so the radio techs told me when they were complaining about management's decision to buy the XT2500 and not the XT5000.

...or you can just buy a radio that works without needing these types of tweaks.... Funny, I doubt they "tweak" subscriber radios several times a year...

garys

Premium Subscriber
You can do 90% of what Sentinel does with ARC536. You can't change profile settings, but you can do just about anything else.

When they allow use of Butel programming software I may consider trying one out, until then I will use my 436HP ,does the job well I haven't had a need to adjust just wondered if you could like the old unit,

Drumbum

You can do 90% of what Sentinel does with ARC536. You can't change profile settings, but you can do just about anything else.
I was replying to troymail about why I'm not considering a whistler, yes I use ARC 536 mostly and love it, yes I changed startup screen and a few other things in sentinel

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I've recently went back to 1.11.16 FW for my 436. None of the newer FW has dont anything to improve on my P25 or DMR reception. I can have full bar signal on a 451.100 DMR System and no audio. Tried it on Conventional, DMR System, Q Search and Basic Search. It shows DMR and signal strength but no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.