Changing Channel name

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
If I change the channel name in my favorites list using Sentinel will that new name show up on the scanner display, or is it programmed somewhere else I can't get to?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey you can always manage favorites right on the scanner and drill down to changing the name of the channel right on the radio and then transfer the results into Sentinel LOL.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If I change the channel name in my favorites list using Sentinel will that new name show up on the scanner display, or is it programmed somewhere else I can't get to?

It will show as long as you write that FL to the scanner and overwrite the existing FL. (as opposed to making a second one)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Trying things like this (name/title changes) can be done without fear of “bricking” the scanner, where it can’t be reprogrammed. Some good suggestions were made here, all of them work. But experimenting first will normally get you there... if not, then post to the group your question. Half the fun using these scanners are working with the many features incorporated. I’m remembering back in the day when a scanner was crystal controlled, had 4 or 8 channels with scrolling lights that flashed on and off as it scanned... the only option was a lock-out button for each channel, a squelch adjust and an on/off/volume knob! Back then we wrote down what each channel corresponded to and left it resting on top of the radio. (There are still those who do the same thing with the current scanner offerings when the display doesn’t read what they’ed like to see... instead of doing what you asked...). It’s admirable you inquired as it shows you are willing to learn more about your gear going forward and NOT like those who are only interested in getting something that plays right-out-of-the-box, where all that’s necessary is plugging it in and turning it on. (I realize there are applications for this type of use, mostly in the professional world, but not with the scanner hobbyist.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
Having wrestled with this scanner/software to finally get it to where I like it (mostly), I've learned it's best to research in advance and backup the programming first to avoid a lot of frustration!

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Frustration... been there. With me it tends to narrow my outlook, kind of like putting blinders on. I would work myself up to where I needed to walk away for a while and revisit later. I was just pointing out not to be afraid to try changing the channel name in Sentinel first and see what results you got without fear of hosing up the scanner. I spend a lot of time with mine and still haven’t explored everything I can do with it. I figure for what we paid for these things we ought to be getting our money’s worth and the more time I spend in front of it helps justify the purchase price.

Status
Not open for further replies.