Channel ID not matching radio

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I posted this in another thread but it’s PA-related.

I monitor Northumberland County TRS and the channel ID table transmitted from the system and what is programmed in on-system radios doesn’t match. Now I’m guessing that Slot 5 is where the radio is tracking the frequencies and ignoring the rest but I am trying to learn why they would be different.

The Channel ID table from the radio is from an APX8000 with Phase 2 capabilities. I know Northumberland is only operating as Phase 1 at present…

See attached pictures. IMG_8820.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8819.jpeg
    IMG_8819.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 33

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
It appears to have the PA Statewide network capability

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
The Iden table for Northumberland changed at some point in the last few years. I remember pulling it off the air and programming accordingly, then during my last trip it was different and had to reprogram.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
The Iden table for Northumberland changed at some point in the last few years. I remember pulling it off the air and programming accordingly, then during my last trip it was different and had to reprogram.
Programming it with all FDMA or the way the system is transmitting both decode correctly which would lead me to suspect all the CC data is based off Slot 5

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Programming it with all FDMA or the way the system is transmitting both decode correctly which would lead me to suspect all the CC data is based off Slot 5
I don't remember the radio not working, but since I had the equipment out for Schuylkill I went and ahead and read Northumberland as well and noticed the change.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I don't remember the radio not working, but since I had the equipment out for Schuylkill I went and ahead and read Northumberland as well and noticed the change.
Am I wrong for understanding that the tables transmitted from the system should match the radio? I understand like the first slot is usually that 800 FDMA one but anything else after that follows the frequency type of the system, IE VHF for slot 5…

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Am I wrong for understanding that the tables transmitted from the system should match the radio? I understand like the first slot is usually that 800 FDMA one but anything else after that follows the frequency type of the system, IE VHF for slot 5…
It should in theory. Some radios will pull the Iden table down off the air and update it if doesn't match what is in the radio.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Yes with a few caveats. If your radio is 800 only it doesn't matter what the 700 or VHF or whatever other band bandplan is as your radio only pays attention to the 800 one. This applies to any single band radio. Now if you have a multi-band radio and the system has sites in multiple bands then everything has to match.

The same applies to FDMA and TDMA. If you aren't assigned a TDMA TG it doesn't matter if the TDMA elements are wrong and the same applies to FDMA.

More confused now?

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Yes with a few caveats. If your radio is 800 only it doesn't matter what the 700 or VHF or whatever other band bandplan is as your radio only pays attention to the 800 one. This applies to any single band radio. Now if you have a multi-band radio and the system has sites in multiple bands then everything has to match.

The same applies to FDMA and TDMA. If you aren't assigned a TDMA TG it doesn't matter if the TDMA elements are wrong and the same applies to FDMA.

More confused now?
Actually, no, not confused. I understand most 800 systems only use Slot 1 unless they're TDMA and they add another slot for TDMA base freq but the system in question is VHF and the system is showing Slot 5 as FDMA which has decoded properly in XTS radios. I was just thrown off the radio and system didn't match the transmitted info.