BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

It does look like you can "set charge time" in Battery Options for this scanner. In the Easier to Read Manual I found online, I copied this from it:

Battery Option (BCD436HP Only)

Set Battery Save Turns off RF power for 1 second and turns it on 300 ms to extend the battery life in Channel Hold Mode for a Conventional System (without Priority Scan), and in any Search Hold mode when there is no transmission over 1 minute.

On or Off

Set Charge Time - 1-14 (hours).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The charge time does not affect the charge rate. If you set the charge time to 1 hour, it does not fully charge the batteries in one hour. It provides about 1/12 of a full charge in 1 hour.

The wall charger kit you got is just a standard USB power source (like comes with most mobile phones).

As I mentioned, you can immediately put in the batteries and start using the scanner by connecting USB power to the scanner.

stingray327

So how about charging the internal battery that controls the clock. I use regular non rechargeable batteries so I'm not concerned with charging batteries, but I do want my internal clock to not reset. What is the proper procedure to keep that part of the scanner charged ?

Is this the reason why I keep having to reset the clock time after I shut off 436 as it is sometimes one hour off either one hour ahead of time or one hour behind time.

stingray327

The charge time does not affect the charge rate. If you set the charge time to 1 hour, it does not fully charge the batteries in one hour. It provides about 1/12 of a full charge in 1 hour.

The wall charger kit you got is just a standard USB power source (like comes with most mobile phones).

As I mentioned, you can immediately put in the batteries and start using the scanner by connecting USB power to the scanner.

So how many hours do you need to get a full charge on the rechargeable batteries using the batteries in scanner? 14 hrs?

Voyager

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, the scanner will arrive with at least some charge left in the batteries so I can start playing with it right away. The charging kit I purchased is the only one I saw available on Amazon. It is called "Home Wall Charger/Adapter for BCD436". Amazon.com: HOME WALL Charger/Adapter for Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP, BCD-436HP Handheld Scanner: Electronics

I assume it can charge any brand of rechargeable batteries while they are inside the scanner. I purchased it for $12 from Amazon. Ebay sells them for about 3 times the price.

Just put in a set of alkaline cells or buy rechargeables and charge them up before it arrives. Problem solved. :)

Just looked at your link. That's not a charger. It's just a power adapter. But, it will work with the scanner to charge internally. Still, the alkaline solution would work.

Voyager

Voyager

So how many hours do you need to get a full charge on the rechargeable batteries using the batteries in scanner? 14 hrs?

Depends on the cell capacity, but for the stock cells, yes, 14 hours if they are depleted when you start charging.

Voyager

Analogrules

No, this is definitely a charger in the link above. It says so right in the description. It charges rechargeable batteries in the scanner. I was just wondering if any type of rechargeable battery would be ok to use? Yes, I read that in order to keep your internal clock charged, you have to plug in the charger while scanner is ON. To charge the scanner itself (not the clock), it needs to be turned off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When connected to the scanner, it allows the scanner to charge the batteries. The device itself is just a USB power source.

The clock battery is charged whenever the scanner is turned on. To fully charge the battery takes about 50 hours (but even a partial charge of 8 hours should keep the clock running for a couple of days).

stingray327

When connected to the scanner, it allows the scanner to charge the batteries. The device itself is just a USB power source.

The clock battery is charged whenever the scanner is turned on. To fully charge the battery takes about 50 hours (but even a partial charge of 8 hours should keep the clock running for a couple of days).

wHY is it that on the 436 the time won't stay correct? It is either one hour ahead or one hour behind. When it is correct time it stays that way then goes one of the two ways above.

BigEvil

So in order to keep my clock from constantly resetting, I should have the scanner powered on for 50 hrs? {I keep changing batteries, plugging it in overnight, but after a day or so without usage it'll require me to reset the clock}. Just trying to find out how to make that stop as its a bit of a bummer.

RT48

BigEvil

Gotcha. man to think, I had a 536 go back for the first fix and now a 436 that'll likely be going back for this. Shame

Voyager

Yea - definitely lots of gremlins in this series for some reason. Not sure if Uniden changed engineers or what. Of course, the HP-2 has been just as stellar as the HP-1.

Voyager

Because your external charger is a rapid charger and the scanner is not (nor can it be).

Voyager

Paraphrasing "Bones" McCoy: "It's a scanner, not a battery charger, Jim."

It is, by design, a trickle charger. That means it takes much longer to charge the cells.

kc2kth

wHO wants to wait 14 hrs? I didn't expect these new scanners to go through batteries like this. Lithium included.

This is primarily why my BC296d never got a lot of use. Proprietary battery, 14+ hour charge for like 6-8 hours use. I'm much happier with the 436 since I have a pretty large stock of rechargeable AA batteries and a decent Maha charger that I can rapid or soft charge or condition with.

stingray327

This is primarily why my BC296d never got a lot of use. Proprietary battery, 14+ hour charge for like 6-8 hours use. I'm much happier with the 436 since I have a pretty large stock of rechargeable AA batteries and a decent Maha charger that I can rapid or soft charge or condition with.

yes just finished recharging more within the last hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.