choosing a uniden scanner

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
yeah working, even on an island is slow, lol do I regret it, no, but for future people who want to listen to our wonderful hobby I would recommend only an analog unless they travel, otherwise, i think a 75 xl, 125 at, or a 15 x is all is needed on the island unless you already have a digital, I think for my recommendation if someone wanted to get into our fine hobby I would recommend the 15x just if so you can plug it into the 110 outlets at home, lol and save on batteries, :D

K4EET

Chaplain
DO NOT ORDER !!!
- Preliminary Design
- Incomplete Parts List

1st Antenna - High Gain VHF/UHF $66.95

2nd Antenna - Small Directional 800MHz Yagi
To Be Determined (TBD)

Antenna Switch $39.95

Special Made Jumper Cable $22.49
RG-58X (LMR-240) UHF-M to BNC-M @ 3 feet

@Akuriko, while these components are a lot more expensive than what you were looking at, they are infinitely better. I am not 100% happy with antenna #1 and I have not gotten to antenna #2 since that is construction 🚧 step two. @mmckenna can probably suggest a better antenna #1 that has comparable specs but costs less. My antenna does not have a base yet either.

I am trying to get you the best reception now with equipment that could be moved outside if the opportunity presented itself later. What do you think about this higher priced approach for the benefits explained? Would you be interested? If you say a flat out no, you will not hurt my feelings.

Akuriko

DO NOT ORDER !!!
- Preliminary Design
- Incomplete Parts List

1st Antenna - High Gain VHF/UHF $66.95

2nd Antenna - Small Directional 800MHz Yagi
To Be Determined (TBD)

Antenna Switch $39.95

Special Made Jumper Cable $22.49
RG-58X (LMR-240) UHF-M to BNC-M @ 3 feet

@Akuriko, while these components are a lot more expensive than what you were looking at, they are infinitely better. I am not 100% happy with antenna #1 and I have not gotten to antenna #2 since that is construction 🚧 step two. @mmckenna can probably suggest a better antenna #1 that has comparable specs but costs less. My antenna does not have a base yet either.

I am trying to get you the best reception now with equipment that could be moved outside if the opportunity presented itself later. What do you think about this higher priced approach for the benefits explained? Would you be interested? If you say a flat out no, you will not hurt my feelings.

im always intrested, so yes i will say my base station stays inside my mobile could always use better antennas outside, my brother currently is setting me up as he thinks im too disabled, a beaofang r5 to listen too as well as use it as a scanner, apperently he thinks it works gret as scanner over using it as a ham raadio and disabled the ptt function, lol

i wont break the law to use the ham ptt function, as a scaanner seems ok, as for my abscent, i appologize, i am under the weather, been bed bound for last few days plus so i am trying to answer emails and messages when i can.

i will pay more now that i know about antennas and range, i must of watched 300 frs/ gmrs radio reviews for my brother and watched a ton over the range how antennas work better, so what you recommend is good, i can also wait, as for my antenna mount contitution is on a different island, im 1 mile from the ferry terminal on san juan, aka friday harbor i beleive mt constitution is lopez or orcas, its been a while since i been there, the state/ national park has beautiful lakes and camp area, love the lakes for fishing :D

has anyone came up with a water proof scanner? would be nice to have one when i go fishing in the streams and rivers, lol

my next purchase is in the next few days to early october is the uniden 436 since i got sentinal to work :D

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @Akuriko, sorry to hear that you’ve been under the weather but glad to know that you are feeling better. I have two Baofeng UV-5Rs. Use them as a scanner? You can watch molasses pour out of a jar faster than that will scan. LOL! 🤣

Akuriko

I tried to tell my brother to buy a basic scanner he was like uh no a beaufang will do the job, lol maybe i should send him a 75 xl or 125 at and let him listen to that way, lol

as for me let's just say I had some problems and ended up with the latest and greatest beer virus variant, lol

I am working on getting my ham license, just waiting for my license to be issued for my gsrm im wworking on a long-range project, so far I think either frs is slow or its the antenna problem, I'm hoping a 5 to 15,40 or 50-watt midland will fix the problem for the lack of range for the obstructions on the island, the frs craps out at 1 mile, hope a base station gmrs paired with a FRS goes further or a CB radio or murs, I'm working on the radio project as a 2ndary project while I listen to my scanners, lol

K4EET

Chaplain
I tried to tell my brother to buy a basic scanner he was like uh no a beaufang will do the job, lol maybe i should send him a 75 xl or 125 at and let him listen to that way, lol
If he is somewhat nearby, perhaps he can come over to visit and hear what a real listening post sounds like with real scanners.
as for me let's just say I had some problems and ended up with the latest and greatest beer virus variant, lol
You lived to tell us. That’s a plus…
I am working on getting my ham license, just waiting for my license to be issued for my gsrm im wworking on a long-range project, so far I think either frs is slow or its the antenna problem, I'm hoping a 5 to 15,40 or 50-watt midland will fix the problem for the lack of range for the obstructions on the island, the frs craps out at 1 mile, hope a base station gmrs paired with a FRS goes further or a CB radio or murs, I'm working on the radio project as a 2ndary project while I listen to my scanners, lol
Oh wow! Sounds like you’ll need to start threads in 3 or 4 other subforums. LOL!

I would be interested in hearing more about your plans for ham, GMRS, FRS, MURS, and whatever other radio desires you may have; in the appropriate subforum, of course. Radio Reference is definitely the best place to be for that and more.

73 (hamspeak for Best Wishes), Dave K4EET

Akuriko

Thanks, there are sub-forums for those particular radios. if so I will ask my questions there as for the scanner I found out it works well even if it doesn't chirp much, lol

I will post my questions soon, I have many questions on FRSgrms and Murs, lol, and yes I lived to tell the tale as they say dead man and woman tell no tales, lol but I'm hoping to get well soon, on a side note the next scanner im getting in September or October is the 436 or the 235p what is recommended? I hope 436 as I use sentinal well.

the 325 looks promising too. so does the 996, I'm thinking to buy one of them as a gift for my brother.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> I'm thinking to buy one of them as a gift for my brother.
May we ask what city he is in so we can check the system(s) in his his area? That helps, as you knows, determine what scanner might serve him best. Then we need to know what he likes to listen to.