Choosing Homebase Antenna

lrodrg11

Premium Subscriber
I want to get a decent sized homebase antenna but the issue is I live in an apartment building so I cannot affix anything to the roof or the side of the building using screws or any weird kind of mounts. I don't know if it'd be silly or not but what If I took a window car mount and stuck it on my highest window which is right outside my scanning room. I dont know, its just an idea that I had, Im not the best with antennas so Im sure there may be a better option. I have a SDS100 and I'm just wanting to maximize range and also not make our landlord upset with a massive eye sore antenna.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I want to get a decent sized homebase antenna but the issue is I live in an apartment building so I cannot affix anything to the roof or the side of the building using screws or any weird kind of mounts.
What floor are you on and how many floors is the building?

Pape

Premium Subscriber
I started with 1 mag mount 700 MHZ stick on the radiator, was working good for my local stuff.
I guess the first question is do a list of what you want to do and how much gain you need.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I use this in my apartment. I actually use multiple band specific antennas connected to a triplexer

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One of the more important questions - precisely what do you want to listen to? That will play a big role in what antenna you get. It seems that a magmount on a cookie sheet near a window would likely be as good as you can do in these circumstances, but not knowing what bands your desired services are on will be a big stumbling block

Mike

K6GBW

Do you have a crawl space? If so, just make a 27 MHz dipole and place it in the crawl space. Try to make it into an inverted V as much as possible. I did this for a friend that wanted a 6 meter antenna. I stapled it to the rafters and it worked great.