Chopper 6 down, two dead.

Tech792

After seeing more data released yesterday, I'm thinking it sounds a lot like a medical issue with the pilot. If he passed out, that would explain why no mayday or other transmission indicating a mechanical issue, sudden drop and loss of power, high speed crash into the trees.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
After seeing more data released yesterday, I'm thinking it sounds a lot like a medical issue with the pilot. If he passed out, that would explain why no mayday or other transmission indicating a mechanical issue, sudden drop and loss of power, high speed crash into the trees.
I read the updated information on 6ABC website. If the aircraft was operating normally then I would agree - only two possible factors - pilot health issue (which at that low altitude could not allow recovery) and outside influence on the helicopter (my possible turbulence scenario).

Really wish they would have arrived on scene sooner than 4 hours plus !!

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps news media will either track their flight operations better or require regular status reports with the office. Its not like they are tracking an airline fleet.
Really wish they would have arrived on scene sooner than 4 hours plus !!
Your point is quite valid. On the Southern NJ Medevac talkgroup I frequently hear REMCS frequently doublechecking with flight crews regarding the aircraft number and confirming that they are tracking correctly. Yes, they carry patients and medical personnel, but the lives of the news chopper crews are just as important and deserve the same safety measures. No reason the various news departments could not pool resources to form or hire a centralized tracking service.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Your point is quite valid. On the Southern NJ Medevac talkgroup I frequently hear REMCS frequently doublechecking with flight crews regarding the aircraft number and confirming that they are tracking correctly. Yes, they carry patients and medical personnel, but the lives of the news chopper crews are just as important and deserve the same safety measures. No reason the various news departments could not pool resources to form or hire a centralized tracking service.
Actually having the helicopter check in at designated times (when not actually in contact with the news desk) would be best. Only requires a reminder on the computer screen in the news room to alert someone to pick up the mic or make a cell phone call. That is if the helicopter does not report in. Unless the news desk is super busy - but then they would be communicating with the chopper on live shots anyway - it is worth a life or two - to increase vigilance. Another thing I just realized - where was or did not emergency beacon not go off ?? With USCG and military resources within 10 minutes flying time - they should have been notified and on scene pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see if the news helicopter (and others) are equipped with voice recorder/flight data recorder and emergency beacon in case of a crash....the first two maybe not required but the third should have been mandatory.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
FAA Parts 91/135 on two way communications and flight tracking are pertinent.

Flight tracking is required of Part 135 operators (for hire). This
is what most Medivac operations in NJ and in the USA do.

Aeromedical in NJ use this system along with radio contact (NJICS) and other aeromedical “bases” to fulfill Part 135 requirements. This offers many operational benefits, including legal Part 135 flights.

https://www.outerlink.com

If an entity is operating under Part 91, there is no comm/tracking requirement. Whether or not this is best practice is an individual question. This can only be answered by the operators.

According to a few news reports the flight was operated by a third party corporation. The final report will spell out the details.

Crash beacons have a less than perfect performance record, and the process can be slow at times.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
FAA Parts 91/135 on two way communications and flight tracking are pertinent.

Flight tracking is required of Part 135 operators (for hire). This
is what most Medivac operations in NJ and in the USA do.

Aeromedical in NJ use this system along with radio contact (NJICS) and other aeromedical “bases” to fulfill Part 135 requirements. This offers many operational benefits, including legal Part 135 flights.

https://www.outerlink.com

If an entity is operating under Part 91, there is no comm/tracking requirement. Whether or not this is best practice is an individual question. This can only be answered by the operators.

According to a few news reports the flight was operated by a third party corporation. The final report will spell out the details.

Crash beacons have a less than perfect performance record, and the process can be slow at times.
US Helicopters is a FAR Part 135 operator. The beacon portion will be interesting to see what is reported in the final report.
We could only test the 121.5/243.0 emergency beacons as a particular time of day on a certain day of the week. I could look it up but that much I remember. If the beacon was operating correctly - there were three C130s that could have easily heard it besides other resources.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
US Helicopters is a FAR Part 135 operator. The beacon portion will be interesting to see what is reported in the final report.
We could only test the 121.5/243.0 emergency beacons as a particular time of day on a certain day of the week. I could look it up but that much I remember. If the beacon was operating correctly - there were three C130s that could have easily heard it besides other resources.
Copy that. Not all operations (flights) are Part 135, as you know flights may be either.
I do not know the circumstance nor have a read about gaps in time.

If I flight is Part 135, there should be little if any gaps in tracking and time.

The monitoring of 121.5 of course not required. Hard to know. I suspect the investigation will disclose if any reports were made even from Center airspace.