Choppy Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHIOSCAN

I have both the 436 and the 536 and so far the 436 is working great, but the 536 is a major disappointment.
It seems like the longer i use the 536 the worse it sounds on p25 700 Phase 1. The audio is choppy and getting worse. The audio volume is all over the place on every transmission. I have tried wiping the SD card with reformat, and reloading the profile. Both my 436 & PSR 800 will sound fine while the 536 sounds like $***. Setting Digital AGC a waste, tried FM,NFM,

Sure hope future F/W upgrades will address these audio issues.

an39511

If the system you are trying to monitor is a simulcast P25 you may be experiencing the interference from multiple towers transmitting on the same frequency. You may experience more or less interference depending on the radio's physical location and/or various weather conditions. The choppiness is caused by the radio trying to decode the digital audio from radio signals arriving slightly out of phase. Sometimes reducing the radio's sensitivity helps, or sometimes using a directional antenna carefully aimed will clear the problem up. For my setup I use a Yagi that corrected the problem.

OHIOSCAN

If the system you are trying to monitor is a simulcast P25 you may be experiencing the interference from multiple towers transmitting on the same frequency. You may experience more or less interference depending on the radio's physical location and/or various weather conditions. The choppiness is caused by the radio trying to decode the digital audio from radio signals arriving slightly out of phase. Sometimes reducing the radio's sensitivity helps, or sometimes using a directional antenna carefully aimed will clear the problem up. For my setup I use a Yagi that corrected the problem.

My 436 sounds good on the same systems side by side the 536 is just getting worse. Sounded ok the first 2 weeks not anymore.

Mike

teufler

on the 396xt and 996xt, changing band width from nbfm to fm has helped some. Either frequency by frequncy or with the band plan editor. If it doesn't help, its and easy fix to set back. I am leaning to the simulcast problem but the audio is a quick change and possible fix,

JamesO

Switched to the Bearcat speaker, sound good on everything else but the phase 1 700.

Then you likely have a signal/multipath issue. Even moving the scanner just a few inches if you have an antenna connected to the scanner can make a difference.

Try turning the attenuator on and see what happens.

Also bring up the Error rate on the display and see what is going on.

OHIOSCAN

on the 396xt and 996xt, changing band width from nbfm to fm has helped some. Either frequency by frequncy or with the band plan editor. If it doesn't help, its and easy fix to set back. I am leaning to the simulcast problem but the audio is a quick change and possible fix,

Been playing with that, not sure if I see a lot of difference, would probable need to do side by side with another 536. My 436 sounds great on the same system, while the 536 just is all over the place.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
2nd that

Been playing with that, not sure if I see a lot of difference, would probable need to do side by side with another 536. My 436 sounds great on the same system, while the 536 just is all over the place.

Mike

I second that the 436hp sounds alot better to me in all aspects....

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
same issue here. my 436 working fine, while 536 is terrible on all phase II systems...audio choppy, cutting in and out, and the speaker is so muddy and basically worthless on all phase II systems.. even p-25 systems cutting in and out,,, when I got the scanner, everything sounded ok...a month later...horrible...

Bucko

The pretty much the same issue here. The Washington Co simulcast system has been sounding worse, especially this fall. I set the Threshold at 7 manual which so far has shown a little better error rate, ATT on that system and FM Mode. The 536 is not great but is better and far better that my other scanners on that simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.