CHP Mapping Help Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
I've searched for all the CHP maps, and I've even tracked down some of the old ones, but it is time for a new one using modern technology and I'm in the process of drawing one for the whole state. Here's how you can help: Post everything you know about where channel switch points are on the major highways. I'll start...

17 at the Santa Cruz/Santa Clara County line, Green on the south side, Ruby 2 on the north
85 at Cottle Road is the switch from Green to Ruby 2
101 at Blossom hill is the switch from Green to Ruby 2
1 at the Santa Cruz/San Mateo line is the switch from Green to Amber 2
101 at the San Mateo/San Francisco county line is Amber 2 to Pink
1 at the Santa Cruz/Monterey county line is Green to Black
80 is Gray 2 all the way from the Nevada/California border almost to Auburn, where it turns to Green 3, but I'm not sure of the exact exit where this happens
Etc.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
In Alameda County...880..Santa Clara County line to Oakland City Limits: Aqua. 680..Santa Clara County line to CoCo County line: Khaki.
580...Oakland City limit to Eden Canyon (?)- Aqua. Eden Canyon to San Joaquin Co Line: Khaki. The Dumbarton Bridge is Aqua and the San Mateo Br. is Redwood City Area (not sure of the color).

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
In Ventura County (which is all Purple)
101...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Green
101...South at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2
1...South at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2 (No 1 North of Oxnard)
33...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Turquoise (33 begins in Ventura City)
126...East at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Tan 2 (126 begins in Ventura City)
118...East at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2 (118 begins in Ventura City)
150...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Green (150 begins in Santa Paula)
23...Purple (All 23 within Ventura County)

Elpablo

In San Diego, the Orange borders use to be and I think still are; South of Via De La Valle on the 5, South Via Rancho Pkwy on the 15, both down to the US/Mex border. West of College (could be 70th/Lake Murray on the 8. I believe West of Mast Blvd on the 52. Please correct me if I am wrong.

When I lived in the Bay Area about 20 years ago, the Southern border of the Amber was 85 running through Mt. View between 101 and 280 and the Northern border for the Amber was 380. This easily could have changed.

Thanks for doing this research and please share when completed!

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
In the middle of Santa Barbara County, it switches from Green to the White. (Gaviota on 101 and Paradise Road on 154 being the switch points).

All the way to the SLO / Monterey County Line (Buellton - 3, SLO - 28, Santa Maria - 14, Templeton - 9). All of SLO and the non-Ventura portion of SBC are on the White.

At the Monterey County Line it goes to the Black.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
In the middle of Santa Barbara County, it switches from Green to the White. (Gaviota on 101 and Paradise Road on 154 being the switch points).

All the way to the SLO / Monterey County Line (Buellton - 3, SLO - 28, Santa Maria - 14, Templeton - 9). All of SLO and the non-Ventura portion of SBC are on the White.

At the Monterey County Line it goes to the Black.

Looks like the switch in SB county is the Templeton / San Luis Obispo office boundaries. Any more help with the bounds of those two offices would be helpful, as I've updated the map to go office-by-office.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
In Ventura County (which is all Purple)
101...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Green
101...South at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2
1...South at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2 (No 1 North of Oxnard)
33...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Turquoise (33 begins in Ventura City)
126...East at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Tan 2 (126 begins in Ventura City)
118...East at Los Angeles County line: Purple to Teal 2 (118 begins in Ventura City)
150...North at Santa Barbara County line: Purple to Green (150 begins in Santa Paula)
23...Purple (All 23 within Ventura County)

Is all of the Purple a single CHP office or are there multiple offices there?

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
There are 2 offices: Ventura (31) and Moorpark (54) .

Because of the rugged/mountainous terrain and open spaces some of the boundaries are jagged and, from monitoring, difficult to pin down compared to a metro area.

In general, the Ventura office covers the north half the county and Moorpark the south half. More specific breeak points:
101...The Conejo grade (between Camarillo & Newbury Park): 31 west of, 54 east of. They share the grade with 31 east bound & 54 west.
118...Somis: 31 west of, 54 east of.
23...South Mountain: between Moorpark & Fillmore: 31 north of, 54 south of.
1, 33, 126...All three entirely within 31 area.

FYI there are 2 more state highways all within the 31 area: 34 & 232.

kk6gau

Premium Subscriber
Funnily enough, I recently had a similar thought. How’re you putting this together? My thought was to have the state divided up by Area in a Google Earth file.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Buellton (3) covers from the north side of the Camino Cielo range, from Gaviota rest stop on the 101 and Paradise road on the 154 on the south to Los Alamos on the 101 and roughly the 1/135 interchange on the North end.

Santa Maria (14) fills the balance of Santa Barbara County, East on the 166 to 33 and north to the SLO County Line or 101/166 interchange (always a little overlap between SM and SLO units on the bridge).

San Luis Obispo covers the 101 from 166E north to 58 in Santa Margarita and approx 46W in Cambria. The office will cover East Arroyo Grande / Lopez Lake area.

Templeton (9) covers the balance of SLO County up to the Monterey County Line on the 101 and the 1 (but will often respond into Monterey's territory, especially on the 1, due to the remoteness). Templeton will also cover east SLO County (Soda Lake/California Valley) in conjunction with a Buttonwillow unit or 14-63 (SM beat including 166). Templeton's east boundary would be King and Kern County lines.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
San Diego County offices.. Oceanside office on Tan I 5 from San Diego County line with Orange County to Via De La Valle where it changes over to the orange. I15 from San Diego County line to Via Rancho Pkwy. Tan also covers out to Mt Palomar. Somewhere in the East County changes over to the El Cajon office technically on Gold but really on San Diego RCS.

Temecula office (dispatched by the San Diego comm center and usually patched to the Tan) on the Brown on I15 from HWY 74 in Lake Elsinore to the San Diego/Riverside county line. I 215 from about Newport Rd in Menefee. Both northern boarders would switch to Turquoise for Riverside. Hwy 74/Ortega highway to Orange county line. Other parts east of the freeways will converge to the Red Indio office.

El Cajon office technically on Gold but really on San Diego RCS office east boarder is the San Diego County line westward. On the I8 to college ave. on the 94 about the San Diego Kelton. East boarder switch to El Centro Maroon.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
Funnily enough, I recently had a similar thought. How’re you putting this together? My thought was to have the state divided up by Area in a Google Earth file.

Yes, creating KML polygons describing the area office boundaries using a variety of tools, then annotating appropriately.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Redding and Red Bluff offices - Red2 rough polygon perimeter clockwise

99 south to Tehama/Butte County line - switches to Brown3
I5 south to Tehama/Glenn County line - switches to Brown3
36 west to roughly between Dinsmore and Bridgeville, VERY rural overlap, switches to Green
299 west to roughly Willow Creek and Trinity/Humboldt County line - switches to Green
3 north to roughly Trinity/Siskiyou County line - switches to Purple
I5 north (I think) to Sims/718 or Conant/721 - switches to Purple, (I monitor Red and Purple while in the canyon)
89 north to Shasta/Siskiyou County line - switches to Purple
299 east to (I think) Big Valley Summit, between McArthur and Bieber, switches to Amber2
44 east to Shasta/Lassen County line, switches to Amber2
36 east to Morgan Summit (hwy36/89) - switches to Amber2
32 in Tehama County is all on Amber2, switches to Brown3 roughly near Butte Meadows.

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
Making progress. I have all the CHP regions tentatively mapped by doing a bunch of GIS processing on the statewide accident database data, and am color-coding them now. Hope to have a map I can share next week. Here's a preview of the data displayed in Google Earth...CHP1.jpg

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber

Paysonscanner

I've searched for all the CHP maps, and I've even tracked down some of the old ones, but it is time for a new one using modern technology and I'm in the process of drawing one for the whole state. Here's how you can help: Post everything you know about where channel switch points are on the major highways. I'll start...

17 at the Santa Cruz/Santa Clara County line, Green on the south side, Ruby 2 on the north
85 at Cottle Road is the switch from Green to Ruby 2
101 at Blossom hill is the switch from Green to Ruby 2
1 at the Santa Cruz/San Mateo line is the switch from Green to Amber 2
101 at the San Mateo/San Francisco county line is Amber 2 to Pink
1 at the Santa Cruz/Monterey county line is Green to Black
80 is Gray 2 all the way from the Nevada/California border almost to Auburn, where it turns to Green 3, but I'm not sure of the exact exit where this happens
Etc.

Somehow I ended up with a map of the beats for the Bishop Area Office of CHP. It is on a hard drive my late husband had that was shared between my husband, a U.S. Forest Service employee who lived near where we lived, a guy in Nevada south of Carson City and a retired fed radio tech. When I figure out the scanning software maybe I can scan the map or figure out a way to post it. The Bishop Area office covers some of southern Mono County. They cover all of U.S. 6 from Bishop to the Nevada state line. They cover U.S. 395 all the way up to the upper Rock Creek road. That location is shown as "Tom's Place" on many maps. I try my best to post it.

Ok, I found it while I"m still able to edit. It's actually a CHP map for Southern Mono County.

Attachments

• CHP South Mono Co. Beats.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

ka6sqg

Premium Subscriber
The CHP Google map looking great so far.
Bug fix notes for that map... Just need to move the drop dot to the new location on the map.

Oceanside office moved to their new office location in 2015.

San Diego Office moved to their new office location in 2019.
Thanks - fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.