Cigarette Lighter Plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found a proper lighter plug for the TRX-2? I would love to replace the 996XT in my truck with my new TRX-2, but for now I do not want to tear apart the dash to rewire the power cable.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Yes, unfortunately there are not many Radio Shack stores around, you could get a plug from them for around
$3.00. But what you show will work well.

Rred

I think you'd get better quality and snugger connections from a top name brand, like BlueSeas, a marine electrical distributor with a top rep. Should be available on Amazon as well as directly, and probably will be more product for less money.

DJ11DLN

Most automotive stores will stock quality lighter plugs. Use the included mobile harness and make sure you get the polarity correct when you connect it.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Only if the device you're powering is actually rated to cope with direct connect to in vehicle electric power.
Or alternatively if you never run the engine while the device is connected.
If I am using the 12v power cable that came with the unit, connected to this plug, how would that be harmful?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BrianG61UK

If I am using the 12v power cable that came with the unit, connected to this plug, how would that be harmful?

When the engine is running current is pulsing through the ignition coil. You can get very short high voltage spikes on the 12V power rails.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
When the engine is running current is pulsing through the ignition coil. You can get very short high voltage spikes on the 12V power rails.
How would that be any different than connecting directly to the battery which the included cable is intended for?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Just get the plug you referenced from RS, it is what I have been using for years since I first got my PSR-600 it has a fuse in the tip to prevent issues.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Just get the plug you referenced from RS, it is what I have been using for years since I first got my PSR-600 it has a fuse in the tip to prevent issues.
Thanks. No issues keeping the fuse in the supplied cable as well? Sorry, not well versed on power anymore.

Machria

Premium Subscriber

LOL! That's one of the funniest posts I've read on a forum in quiet a while. Thanks for the chuckle!

He is plugging in a 12v power supply, not a oscilloscope!

Thanks. No issues keeping the fuse in the supplied cable as well? Sorry, not well versed on power anymore.

As noted already, you will not have a problem with the Radio shack one you posted. That will work perfect, and yes you can leave the inline fuse and that will be fine as well.

If you don't have a RS nearby, see if you have a West Marine nearby, they also carry the same. The West marine unit has a built in fuse in it, so then you can cut off the inline fuse if you want and just make sure the proper size fuse is in the plug itself. The picture is a bit weird, don't go by that. in the picture there is a plastic protector cover over the plug, but it is the same plug as the RS / cigarette lighter plug. ;)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--12v-plug-only--6867899?recordNum=4

The below is not for you Hosehead, since you are installing the mobile (trx2 scanner). But if you use a portable scanner in the car.... Another option is, if you can easily get to your "cigarette lighter" port in your vehicle, a nice thing to do is change it to one of these which provides 2 USB charging ports. So all you need is the USB cable to plug in your portable scanner, phone... I put a few of these on my boat and love them. Haven't done one on the truck yet, but might when day I'm not busy.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue...rger-socket-panel-mount--14152532?recordNum=5

Status
Not open for further replies.