Clinton county help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to pick-up the police talk groups. I am wondering if they are on the EDACS system along with FIRE and EMS. I have double and triple check the tower frequencies to make sure they are correct and in the logical order. I have the FIRE and EMS on separate scan lists and they work fine, just not hearing any PD. I see there is a couple of TG's assigned on the MPSCS and it indicates that these are patched. Still do not hear any transmissions. I have no problems listening to surrounding Ingham, Shiawassee, Gratiot, Livingston, and Saginaw counties.

I would appreciate any and all help with this.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
Clinton County's Edacs system is Provoice digital. No scanner can decode that format.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Clinton County's Edacs system is Provoice digital. No scanner can decode that format.

Appreciate your help - but totally wrong.

The only way to hear police dispatch is on the MPSCS system. That talkgroup is in the clear. Some of the PD Tac, and all of the fire channels come in just fine on the Clinton County EDACS system.

That confuses me a little, because I have had hits on their Fire and EMS. Or is it just the PD's that are on the provoice?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the provoice. Is it an encrypted part of the system that fire and ems uses or is it a completely separate system? When you look at the info on RR it looks to be a single system that all public safety agencies are using.

I appreciate your information, it is very helpful.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
PD talkgroups are in digital (ProVoice.) Same system as everything else, but no scanner can decode them.

If you tune in the local MPSCS towers, you can hear the dispatch talkgroup patched to MPSCS and it comes in loud and clear.

Appreciate your help - but totally wrong.

The only way to hear police dispatch is on the MPSCS system. That talkgroup is in the clear. Some of the PD Tac, and all of the fire channels come in just fine on the Clinton County EDACS system.

What do you mean by "in the clear"?

I will set up a scan list for the MPSCS system. They must be depending on the towers in the surrounding counties. I did not see a tower in Clinton county. Anyways I will use the tower CC's for Lansing, Owosso, Saginaw, and I think Ithaca to cover Clinton county. Unless you have other suggestions.

Does the county dispatch provide services (dispatching) for all cities and towns (Bath, St. Johns. etc.) in the county?

Thanks!!!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by "in the clear"?

It means you can listen to them on MPSCS, you cannot on the Clinton Co EDACS. I hear them on Lansing's tower pretty regularly, and occasionally Dimondale. I'd imagine they are must more frequently on Owosso & Ithaca.

Does the county dispatch provide services (dispatching) for all cities and towns (Bath, St. Johns. etc.) in the county?

Yes.

ceranes

Just to clarify - I gather Clinton County has ProVoice. I accept that, but why does the Radio Reference Database listing show both Analog and Digital talk groups? Shouldn't we be able to listen to the Analog talk groups at least? On the Ingham County system, the Digital and Encrypted talk groups are Pro Voice but the Analog ones are fine to listen to. Just wondering...

I was trying to program three scanners in Lansing and was able to get a faint reading on one of the tower sites but that's it.

Thanks,
ceranes

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I accept that, but why does the Radio Reference Database listing show both Analog and Digital talk groups?

Because they have both analog and digital talkgroups ;)

Shouldn't we be able to listen to the Analog talk groups at least?

Sure can - they all come in.

On the Ingham County system, the Digital and Encrypted talk groups are Pro Voice but the Analog ones are fine to listen to.

It's exactly the same for the CC system, just in a different band.

I was trying to program three scanners in Lansing and was able to get a faint reading on one of the tower sites

They only have one site, so that's what you should be getting :)

In the future they will add another, I'm not sure why the database has three listed (there was talk of adding them a few years back, but only one is coming and it's not going to be soon.)

nsrailfan6130

Because they have both analog and digital talkgroups ;)

Sure can - they all come in.

It's exactly the same for the CC system, just in a different band.

They only have one site, so that's what you should be getting :)

In the future they will add another, I'm not sure why the database has three listed (there was talk of adding them a few years back, but only one is coming and it's not going to be soon.)

Okay, So would it be worth it to program both CC EDACS & MPSCS TG's or just MPSCS the next time I am through the area?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If you want all of CC's comms, you need to have both. If you only care about fire, then CC only. If you only want police, then you can get the main channel on MPSCS only. None of them cross (i.e. you won't hear fire on MPSCS, and you won't hear police on CC.)

nsrailfan6130

If you want all of CC's comms, you need to have both. If you only care about fire, then CC only. If you only want police, then you can get the main channel on MPSCS only. None of them cross (i.e. you won't hear fire on MPSCS, and you won't hear police on CC.)

Okay, I had to be sure I understood what was going on. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.