Close call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Close Call

Hi all, when I push the close call feature on my bcd996p2 am I getting frequencies or control channels please? Jerry

Close Call will stop on any active frequency within range, including Control Channels and voice traffic.

V-17

close call op

I think i know how close call is supposed to function... Maybe not...
When i select close call w/ auto save and let it run for say a min, It displays that it is finding frequencies, then i hit the scan button (maybe this is my error), it scans for an instant, then stops on a random public service freq with static (broken squelch). Hit scan again, it just moves to the next PS w/static.

I figure i am doing something wrong... BTW For info, i have not put any programming/presets in at this time, i have just run the close call only.

Help? Thanks.
Robert

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What scanner do you have?
What specifically is being displayed when it stops on the random frequency?
What is squelch set to?

V-17

All good questions Paul! I was hoping you would jump in here, Thanks.

Just got the BCD996P2.
I believe: Public Service, and... cant remember the specific freq (i'm at work right now).
I set the squelch as outlined in the OM, and when it stops on that freq, i turn up the squelch but can't silence the static. Note: It doesn't sound like signal noise , just background static that can't be squelched.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I suspect you've managed to enable the Public Service service search. Disable that by F+L/O, L/O while in that search.

V-17

Do you mean i enabled the Public service search for close call? Wouldn't i want it to scan PS?
Sorry still new to scanners.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no Service Type for Close Call. Close Call picks up nearby signals, period.

V-17

Ok, UPman says that I may have managed to enable the Public Service service search. And jon saysThere is no Service Type for Close Call. Seems confusing to me. Does it mean that CC will scan all bands with no ability to "lock out" certain areas of the band that may be undesirable? And if you can pick and choose what CC scans, how is that done?

And guys, please keep in mind that I am green to this scanner. May need spoon feeding!

Thanks again,
Robert

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
CC checks all enabled frequency bands. You can turn each band on or off, but this only affects what bands you get hits in from strong signals (Close Calls).

Service Search scans a bunch of frequencies that are allocated to that type of service by the FCC. It is totally unrelated to Close Call. In older scanners you could either scan or you could limit search or you could service search. We changed it so that you could enable a service search (or limit search) and have the search go on during scans. (Search with Scan). Actually, it searches for a bit (you can set how long), then scans the programmed systems, then searches for a bit, then scans...

One of the service searches is called "Public Safety." I suspect you have enabled that service search (since in your description you said it "...stops on a random public service freq...". I'm thinking the only thing that would make you say "public service" is that the display was showing something like that (probably, actually, "public safety").

V-17

I think you are right. Public safety sounds right, i'll check tonight.

So i just lock out public safety, run CC and the CC hits/auto store(s) will "move up" in the scanning order where public safety once was?

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When Close Call is on, it will check for a hit every 5 seconds. (I recommend you use Close Call DND so that the checks won't interrupt transmissions in progress). Hits will be automatically stored in a system that gets created with the first hit received, and that system is then scanned conventionally along with whatever else you are scanning and continued Close Call checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.