Coax relay needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a coax relay I can place in line with my sdr receivers to disconnect the antenna when a
nearby transmitter is keyed, I found this one Teledyne Coax Switch CCR-33S30 12VDC NOS | eBay
that looks promising.

What is the best way to protect an sdr receiver when a close transmitter is keyed?

prcguy

jimlg

Premium Subscriber

prcguy

I don't have a data sheet handy but I think they clamp the output at about 10dBm or 10 miliwatts and they start to take effect around 0dBm or a little less. They will handle up to about 10 watts of energy, which is way more than you would get with two antennas close to each other at modest power like 50 watts or less.

Thank you, much easier and a simple solution, do you have the data sheet or can you tell me how it works?

jimlg

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a data sheet handy but I think they clamp the output at about 10dBm or 10 miliwatts and they start to take effect around 0dBm or a little less. They will handle up to about 10 watts of energy, which is way more than you would get with two antennas close to each other at modest power like 50 watts or less.
Thanks again.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

CanesFan95

Hmmmm...now this makes me wonder if this could solve some local bleedover issues on UHF for running DSD+.

prcguy

When a limiter kicks in diodes are conducting and creating lots of IMD, they will actually create bleedover type problems when working. Fortunately the one pictured above operates at a very high level that you would normally not see unless you have a transmitter and antenna very close to your scanner antenna. The scanner would not be able to operate in that environment anyway and the limiter ultimately protects the scanner from damage due to the transmitter and antenna that is way too close.

Hmmmm...now this makes me wonder if this could solve some local bleedover issues on UHF for running DSD+.

merlin

Might not be needed. I punch 4 to 5 watts from portables with antennas about 6 foot apart and no problem.
With my SDRs such power really upsets the AGC and about kill all reception. even the TV goes out.
Same happens with strong FM BC signals so a trap solved most of that. Bandpass filters clean up whats left.

medin

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have a datasheet for the 5086-7261 or 7248? Or at least what the difference between the 2 is?

I am trying to protect an SDRplay RSP2 that has a 0dbm max input from a nearby VHF/UHF antenna hooked to a 50W Kenwood transceiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.