Cobourg Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxstdse

I Heard A Rummer That Cobourg Police, Fire, Works Are Going To A New System
That Could Be Digital Or Encrypted - Has Anyone Got Eny Information Yet.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
The Town of Cobourg is already on a Motorola trunk system with one VHF repeater for the police TG, for when they were looking after the northern part of the county.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1675

There was talk on the Works department channel, they are not on the trunk, that they were supposed to get new radios and that Port Hope and Cobourg were going to share communications and services. That was two to three months ago, and haven't seen or heard anything else yet.

Now since the OPP has taken over the county police services, they don't have any of the problems that stopped the plan almost 10 years ago. They can now do it with 2 towers, as oppose to the 5 they were looking at. It would be interesting to see if it happens and they go for a hardware/software upgrade..

Last edited:

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Just found this on the Cobourg web site:

The Town of Cobourg is served by an enhanced 9-1-1 system. All calls to 9-1-1 are received by the Cobourg Police Service, which acts as the " Central Emergency Reporting Bureau " who, in turn, dispatch the Cobourg Fire Department. All departments within the Town have operated on an 800 MHz trunked radio system since 1996. We also have the ability to operate on the County of Northumberland fire communications frequency.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
What does a small town like Port Hope have to hide?

However it does seem though that all the bigger cities will go with trunked systems, OPP using somewhat a decent system, but it's all these small little towns that go with the encryption. Why?

If anything, they should just stick with a one channel digital system, but no need to encrypt.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Why does everyone think that because Police depts are switching to encryption that they are "hiding" something. The reason Police depts switch is for officer safety. We all know that it is illegal to listen to encrypted radio frequencies so the Law Enforcement community knows that also. Plus the cost of encryption has come down in price just like everything else i.e. the microwave oven and the vcr. Do I like the fact that I will be losing the enjoyment of listening to my local police service (which I have done for 23 yrs) when they switch to encryption in the next 18-24 months........hell no........................but I also appreciate that the ****rats that use their scanner for illegal purposes won't be able to listen to them either. I say bring on the encryption if its going to make our community a safer place to live.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Perhaps they just don't like the possibility that somebody might stream their communications over the internet?

Encryption is a cheap enough option these days so any town considering an upgrade to their existing equipment might as well go for it.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Oh right I forgot about that. They don't want there citizens knowing about the punks that go and do smash n' grabs for smokes. Or the more recent Gas n' Dash.

What my point was is the fact that all the other cities will go with a regular trunked system. But it's the small towns with populations of 10,000 or less that will go with the encryption on 1 or 2 channels.

Anyhow......This is outta my area anyways.

I've got lots to listen to.

Mike_Oxlong said:
Perhaps they just don't like the possibility that somebody might stream their communications over the internet?

Encryption is a cheap enough option these days so any town considering an upgrade to their existing equipment might as well go for it.

mciupa

Database Admin
. . . anyways, listen to Cobourg PS on 142.485 mHz . They are still there.:)

Last edited:

DaveH

IdleMonitor said:
Oh right I forgot about that. They don't want there citizens knowing about the punks that go and do smash n' grabs for smokes. Or the more recent Gas n' Dash.

Are you sure you're not ignoring cause and effect? It just keeps getting easier
for the criminal element (as well as ordinary citizens) to monitor police without
the need to get an expensive digital scanner (not to mention filling out that
paperwork with fake name/address etc.). People who commit those crimes
don't need to carry a scanner, just be in touch with someone by cellphone
who has net access.

Dave

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
I've been all calls where the scanner is on in the home when we arrive. Imagine a bad guy sitting there listening to his scanner knowing we are coming to get them...............can you say police ambush.....oh but then you wouldn't get to hear on your scanner if they go to an encrypted radio system.........boo who. Also been on calls where the person calling tells dispatch not to broadcast the call over the air as the person they are calling on is listening to the scanner. Does that make you wonder why police services go to an ecrypted system. If all your life is about listening to your scanner 24/7 its time you get a new one.

hemi

I see it from both sides,For police its a officier safety issue. It should'nt be a surprise that a bad guy would use a scanner for ileagle activity. However its also a free country and if i choose to listen in on whats happening in my town where i raise my kids i should have that right.

williams63

I must agree, a small town such as Espanola has 8,000 ppl...the PD uses Voice Inversion..the old Elliot Lake system ( towns population hd 9,000 ) used DVP.

Both have only 1 channel...when we saw the budget ( Elliiot Lake ) on the Police Services Board one member asked the Chief " just how many scanners we taking you grab in the commision of an offence " he never submitted a reply...DVP + its costs were cancelled..lucky it was a lease from Spectrum Communications...none the less you can ask your local PD Board , the same question , Id bet the answer is none ..or no answer !

I did chuckle, while listening to Espanola...the 1st 20 mins of every shift was " hahaha , they cant hear us..."

enuff said..

hemi

I kinda got a chucle out of a Peterborough county opp officer when day. He asked another unit to meet him at a certain spot to arrest a bad guy and his quote was "and for all you scanner listeners, Iam not going to tell where we are going":roll:

williams63

When one PD was not using Crypto , we once heard " yeah were 10 -8 to see a wtiness " well we were alo mobile , the crusier was in front of us...we followed for a few mins , as it was on our way...I didnt know that 2 Timmies double double were a A WITNESS !

yeah cloak those signals...heaven forbid we hear ya grab a coffee with a BS line like that...

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I guess we should all stop submitting frequencies to radioreference.com then.

We may get dinged with aiding and abetting.

DaveH said:
Are you sure you're not ignoring cause and effect? It just keeps getting easier
for the criminal element (as well as ordinary citizens) to monitor police without
the need to get an expensive digital scanner (not to mention filling out that
paperwork with fake name/address etc.). People who commit those crimes
don't need to carry a scanner, just be in touch with someone by cellphone
who has net access.

Dave

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Everyone keeps forgetting that idiot in Brockville who was calling the criminals and advising the cops were after them. My Cousin is a cop in Brockville now I support encryption in smaller towns. Especially since everyone knows everyone's business already...

As long as Toronto stays analog Right?

hemi

Speaking of Cobourg police, they are less on constable today after one was fired for misconduct and neglect of duty. He has several sexual encounters with young women in his cruiser while on duty.:wink:

fxstdse

Well, considering all I had asked - has anyone has heard about Cobourg system changing the operating mode - and most of what I see here very little to do with the answer! Most of you are either *****ing or complaining about everything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.