• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Codeplug Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDupe

Ok, question for the experts... Someone programs a radio using RSS, CPS or Depot... Most likely an earlier version of the software... Now lets say I read the radio and save the codeplug via a newer CPS. I keep a copy saved in a safe place... I then modify the codeplug, save it to a new file and write back to the radio using my same newer CPS. I use the radio with my modifications but later want to put it back exactly the way it was... Can I write back the original codeplug I saved with my CPS and will it be exactly like it was before I changed it? Or will it forever be altered with my version of CPS and no longer be able to be read by earlier versions of software?

jim202

Ok, question for the experts... Someone programs a radio using RSS, CPS or Depot... Most likely an earlier version of the software... Now lets say I read the radio and save the codeplug via a newer CPS. I keep a copy saved in a safe place... I then modify the codeplug, save it to a new file and write back to the radio using my same newer CPS. I use the radio with my modifications but later want to put it back exactly the way it was... Can I write back the original codeplug I saved with my CPS and will it be exactly like it was before I changed it? Or will it forever be altered with my version of CPS and no longer be able to be read by earlier versions of software?

There is one major thing you need to understand about Motorola software. There is no returning to an older version after you have wrote to the radio with a newer version of the software. This applies to the newer radio models. You didn't say what flavor the radio was.

Once you get into the versions that run on Windows, your screwed if you want to go backwards.

SCPD

QRT
Based upon my experience with the Waris software:
You should be able to put the older codeplug back in the radio with the newer software.

I think I need to beg to differ with Jim202 about never going back to an older version. Many times I have got a brand new HT750 from my vendor and the radio has been programmed with a newer version than I have installed. I will program an archive cpg into the radio with my older software,
and then can program the radio to my heart's content. Now this may only work with Waris, it's the only thing I've done it with.

I never upgrade until I absolutely have to, dunno why. I got the latest and greatest Waris zipped on a stick, just havn't got around to installing it yet.

Last edited:

SuperDupe

Thanks for the answers... So is there a way to tell from the codeplug what version of software was used to last program the radio? To make things easier I would be willing to purchase an older version of software that matches the original programming...

mancow

Database Admin
It doesn't work that way. The radio stores the revision in the codeplug. The older software will see that the radio contains a newer codeplug revision and will fail.

InlandEmpire

I've never had a problem writing an old codeplug back into a radio that had also been programmed using a newer version of CPS. Sometimes I'll get a message that advises that the the programming will continue, however, certain features may not be available on the target radio. The only time CPS can't is when it is a model number mismatch, or if the radio has had its board updated (like going from a PMUE1711B to a PMUE1711D with different firmware versions). I think CPS says something like "Can't program radio. Target radio is newer than codeplug version."
I've never had a problem going back though on the same radio if it hasn't been modified or updated.

If you flash the radio to a newer firmware, your old CPS codeplug might not work, but I'm pretty sure that's only if you make a huge firmware jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.