Comm Tower Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Santa Barbara County Towers Comm Site 3 & 4 Broadcast Peak

Just got back from the GAP incident in Goleta, here are some pics from Broadcast Peak in Goleta / Santa Barbara. I have no clue who uses these, other then the KEYT Tower, they are a Local TV Station.

SSPX0036.jpg

SSPX0037.jpg

SSPX0038.jpg

SSPX0039.jpg

SSPX0040.jpg

SSPX0041.jpg

SSPX0042.jpg

SSPX0046.jpg

SSPX0048.jpg

SSPX0049.jpg

SSPX0050.jpg

SSPX0051.jpg

SSPX0055.jpg

SSPX0074.jpg

DPD1

Brutal. I don't know how close I would have been getting to that stuff though. Not very.

The key with the ice is having it all slowly freeze and melt at the same rate. If it does that, it often strengthens then dissipates uniformly. Then you can sometimes get away with no damage. But when it starts to break up non-uniformly, that's when it starts breaking stuff... You get chunks left on the ends and that unbalanced weight is what starts tearing stuff up.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Just for fun who IS this guy?

It's Edwin Armstrong, the father of FM radio and the Armstrong tower in Alpine, New Jersey.

"At the base of the tower, he built a two-story brick building to house his transmitter, embossing his call letters, W2XMN, in the concrete above the door. Along both sides of the steps leading to the building, he placed small replicas of the metal globe that sat atop Aeolian Hall in Manhattan, the RCA facility where he had famously been photographed in the twenties perching precariously on one foot, high in the air."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Tower

http://www.fybush.com/sites/2005/site-050610.html

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
What is the limit in power and lengths someone is save to operate around the Towers ?
Realistically, there's no FM or TV tower you want to be near when it's on. It's not worthwhile to turn the power down when it won't help given the power levels that are safe.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What is the limit in power and lengths someone is save to operate around the Towers ?

It varies with frequency and whether it is public or occupational exposure. Here's what 47CFR says about it...

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...ccess.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/47cfr1.1310.htm

Realistically, there's no FM or TV tower you want to be near when it's on. It's not worthwhile to turn the power down when it won't help given the power levels that are safe.

Not necessarily true. I recall a particular 150' tower we shared with a 10KW FM broadcaster. The FM array was at the top, my microwave dishes were at the 100' level. When the FM power was reduced to about 2 kw, it was safe to work indefinitely at the 100' level. At full power, there was a pretty severe time limit, like 5 minutes. And amazingly enough, the broadcaster was wonderful to work with when the time came.

prcguy

30yrs ago before anyone payed attention to RF safety, I had to fetch a ham antenna from the top of a 200ft or so FM broadcast tower on Cheyenne Mountain, CO with no safety harness and all my tools stuck in the pockets of my pants. The FM transmitter was 20kw into a 4 bay antenna and I remember banging on the fiberglass radomes of the antennas when I climbed by them while they were on air at full power. On the way back down (climbing with an antenna in my arms, no ropes, no harness) the aluminum antenna got quite warm in my hands when I passed by the broadcast antennas.
prcguy

gcgrotz

Brutal. I don't know how close I would have been getting to that stuff though. Not very.

The key with the ice is having it all slowly freeze and melt at the same rate. If it does that, it often strengthens then dissipates uniformly. Then you can sometimes get away with no damage. But when it starts to break up non-uniformly, that's when it starts breaking stuff... You get chunks left on the ends and that unbalanced weight is what starts tearing stuff up.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

Not to mention the damage done by the falling chunks... been there, done that. Saw an ice bridge that collapsed from the ice hitting it and just crimped off all of the feedlines.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
When the FM power was reduced to about 2 kw, it was safe to work indefinitely at the 100' level.
Wow, that still seems kind of high. Considering there's still no positive way to know absolutely what's safe as far as how the body reacts I'd rather error on the side of saving my reproductive system. Thankfully I don't work around broadcast.

KC0QNB

On a tower strobe search several years ago, I ran across a manned tv transmitter site with a 2000' tower, they had I beams across the roof, one layer north south another layer east west, the biggest hole anything could fall through was about 4" across, I asked about the structure and the operator simply stated, "large chunks of ice falling from 2000 feet".
Oh I forgot to state the feedline from the transmitter to the base of the tower was less than 20 feet long.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Wow, that still seems kind of high. Considering there's still no positive way to know absolutely what's safe as far as how the body reacts I'd rather error on the side of saving my reproductive system. Thankfully I don't work around broadcast.

Yeah, I agree... the safety limits are rather arbitrary and not necessarily based on real firm data. But 50' below a high gain array with 2kw is probably safe enough.

Come to think of it, though, I'm not convinced it causes any reproductive damage. I conceived two kids at a point in my career that I was exposed to high RF levels on a daily basis, all my friends in the industry conceived their kids when they were exposed on a daily basis... I've often joked that high RF and microwave levels enhance 'things'.

Seriously, though... I'm more concerned about eye damage, and after 30 years working primarily in microwave, I'm a frequent visitor to the eye doctor, who is fascinated by my optic nerves for some reason.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Come to think of it, though, I'm not convinced it causes any reproductive damage.

Seriously, though... I'm more concerned about eye damage, and after 30 years working primarily in microwave, I'm a frequent visitor to the eye doctor, who is fascinated by my optic nerves for some reason.
I know what you mean. I haven't tested mine yet but the rest of the guys I work with have no trouble pumping out the babies. We mainly work around 1900 and 800MHz. And thankfully my eyes aren't getting worse. It's my brain tumor I worry about. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.