Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)/Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am trying to come up to speed a little bit more on the Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)/Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) for cellular phones. I checked earlier this year and found out that my Garminfone on T-Mobile is not currently Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS) compatible. As a result, I signed up for both Amber Alerts and the iNWS Android application. My questions are:

-Is T-Mobile, or other carriers for that matter, working on adding CMAS compatability to existing devices or are they likely to just focus on having that on new devices?

-As a practical matter, even though I don't have CMAS on my phone, what am I going to miss out on by just having Amber Alerts and iNWS? If I understand these correctly, if I am in my "home" area I should get Amber Alerts and iNWS alerts, is the big difference with CMAS phones is that the alerts will be received for whatever area you are located in?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
#1) Dunno

#2) If you turn off weather, you'll also be turning off any messages your local EM might send someday (hazmat, shelter, road closure, etc.)

SCPD

QRT
i know that att update software added cmas to my galaxy sII, and yes the cmas is for the county warning area you are in from my understanding.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On my Net10 has the CMAS it went off the other day 2 times thought my phone was dying found out it was the alert saying some warnings in the area. Atleast I don't have to download a app for the phone.

cinsu

So far CMAS isn't available just by downloading an app and the messages are handled the same way as phone calls and SMS but in a different format. I think I attached a screenshot of one I received the other day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-19-19-06-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-19-19-06-39.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,046
Status
Not open for further replies.