Kenwood: Confusing TM-281A Programming/Possible Antenna Issues(Mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember cprrectly it happens on all of them. At least the few that Ive used. Its happened with my local repeater, the reater about 60 miles away and also on 52, 55 and 58 simplex. Its not all the time though. Today I ragchewed with a guy on the local repeater and there was no problems at all. No static.

UPDATE: I believe my problems are happening on the front end of my transceiver. I have LED headlight bulbs and just installed LED fog lights in my truck. So the LED headlight bulbs always caused RF interference when I turned on my FM radio. The weird thing is I could have sworn I had these same problems even during the day with the headlights off. Well my local repeater is coming in fine other than the occasional blast of static. Tonight I reached out to a repeater about 60 miles away and although they heard me perfectly fine, I had a very hard time hearing hem. Lots of static. It is NOT an alternator whine and the interference does NOT change with the RPMs of the engine/vehicle speed.

CLIFF'S NOTES:
-Kenwood TM-281A mobile transceiver
-Laird QWB144 1/4 wave NMO antenna
-Laird GBR8PI magnetic mount NMO base mounted on the center of the trucks roof
-When I turn on the headlight I hear a little bit of static
-When I turn on my LED fog lights it gets a little bit louder
-The problem seems to be much worse when Im driving. When Im parked I can hear that repeater fine, even with my headlights and fog lights turned on(Again, both are LED)
-My radio is wired up to a 12 bus fuse block that is connected to the battery using 0 AWG wire
-I TX perfectly all the time, under all conditions.

Here are my solutions:
- Buy better LED headlight bulbs
-Add a choke to the power/ground wires going into my transceiver

Any specific type of choke I should look for? I am totally ignorant to chokes and how they work. Thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.