Considering the sr30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr007s

Have my eye on an sr30c. I know it is only analog and thats fine. I will be using it in Catawba county NC. I have read forums and watched you tube, gathering info before purchase . The unit works with a frequency range of 25-54, 108-174, and 406-512 MHz. I would like to monitor each of those. What would you suggest as an option for an after market antenna? Should I budget for one? Will my reception be benefited much with something besides the stock one?
Thanks for your help.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
As analog is fine, I recommend you go for the BC125AT. It has increased frequency coverage as well as offering alphanumeric labeling of memory channels. The SR30C is numerals only if you don't mind that. The 125AT works well and there is even free software for it from Uniden and a guy out of the UK. (I use the UK program)

You should try the stock antenna first. It may be fine for your needs. Otherwise, the Diamond RH77CA antenna is a pretty good aftermarket antenna for most of the frequencies either the SR30C or BC125AT will cover. As to 25 - 54 MHz they RH77CA will work, but a low frequency like that typically works best with a longer antenna to match the wavelength. Still, try the factory supplied or the RH77CA. It may work fine. My RH77CA captures the nearby highway patrol repeater around 42 MHz, but it has a strong signal.

If you find that you will often use the scanner at home, I strongly recommend a discone antenna placed above your roofline. LMR-400 coax is a very good choice. Second choice is LMR-240UF and third is RG6 (TV cable). You'll need some adapters on both ends to connect the antenna and radio. I checked your location and you should definitely use an FM broadcast filter if you use an external antenna. They range in price from $20 to $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.