Constant problem recieving priority calls on Motorola system, Im begging for Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
CapitalPunishment said:
Im sorry whats that?
Wow, small question with a lot of answer. Too much to go into in detail here. Take a look at the Trunker/Etrunker/T4Win Decoders forum for some background. Since you asked that question I am guessing you don't have a data slicer (also called a HamCom interface) so maybe sticking with Unitrunker (in it's second beta right now) is best. Rick doesn't support this usage, but you can get some usage of Unitrunker using audio from the earphone jack if you have a good signal and little or no distortion in the audio circuit of the radio providing the CC stream. Otherwise it requires baseband audio (a tap from the FM discriminator) from the radio. You can also take a look at our download pages (off the home page) and look for the Trunker documentation which will explain some of what Trunker (and Unitrunker) will do...wait, I just remembered Rick included documentation with the Beta 2 version (no shooting me Rick) but I haven't looked at it yet so am not clear on if it explains basics or not.

JoeyC

wsmoore had the answer a while ago. If two talkgroups are patched together for the dispatch of the call, on a Uniden scanner you will ONLY hear the audio on ONE side of the patch. For instance if 1648 is patched with 1744 for the announcement, the audio will be heard on whichever talkgroup the patch is initiated from. Sounds like that would be 1744 in this situation, and unless you have the ignore Status Bit option set to on, you need to put in the extra status bit depending on which type of patch it is. Thus you may hear the transmission on 1747, 1748 or 1751. But its just best to leave the status bit option set to on and listen to 1744. When the patch is dropped, 1648 becomes active again. This is all transparent to the AAPD units on their Motorolas though and is just a scanner thing.

troymail

Silent Key
Just got a BOLO for a missing person... with my current 396 configuration, the radio stopped on TG 1655 (Eastern District TG 1648 +7).

TRUNKER showed the following the following patch/grouping for the broadcast:

ddMSEL 4199
1655 Police Eastern
1623 Police Northern
1719 Police Southern
1687 Police Western
1751 Police Channel 5

Sac916

loumaag said:
.... but you can get some usage of Unitrunker using audio from the earphone jack if you have a good signal and little or no distortion in the audio circuit of the radio providing the CC stream. Otherwise it requires baseband audio (a tap from the FM discriminator) from the radio.

What kind of data will you obtain without a tap?

bonus1331

Don't, and won't hijack the thread BUT... if I'm understanding clearly; to get patched talkgroups and not miss anything that uses the patch you should have the scanner set to "ignore status bits", or do NOT "ignore status bits"?

This has always confused me.
Thanks

Update 1/20/06 5:20PM EST

Im receiving priority calls again. I guess thats because i turned status bit ON. Thanks for everyones help! Hopefully my priority dont magically dissapear again, only time will tell.

Something worth noting: Just to experiment with my problem i programmed talkgroup 1751 (which is the admin channel that MSEL calls go over, ID 1744 + 7). Right after i heard the eastern priority call go out over eastern channel, a priority call went out over my new talkgroup 1751, the call was in Western.

troymail

Silent Key
bonus1331 said:
Don't, and won't hijack the thread BUT... if I'm understanding clearly; to get patched talkgroups and not miss anything that uses the patch you should have the scanner set to "ignore status bits", or do NOT "ignore status bits"?

This has always confused me.
Thanks

On the BCD396T, "Set Status Bit" should be set to "Ignore". This will "ignore" status bits and teh TGs will always come up as "advertised". When set to "Yes", 1616 will be 1623 during MSEL.

I think it acts somewhat the opposite on the BC296D... I think the question is actually "reversed" between the two radios.

The BC296D manual says:

2:SCAN OPTION
2:TRUNK
9:STATUS BIT
1:ON - Talkgroups are rounded down to the next multiple of 16
2:OFF - Talkgroups are not rounded down, so you can determine the value of the status bits

The BCD396T user's manual says:

Program System
(select system)
Edit Sys Option
Set Status Bit
Ignore - the scanner rounds all received IDs down to the next interval of 16
Yes - the scanner treats all received IDs as unique IDs

So - the 296's "ON" is equal to the 396's "Ignore" (296 "OFF" = 396 "Yes")

Last edited:
troymail said:
On the BCD396T, "Set Status Bit" should be set to "Ignore". This will "ignore" status bits and teh TGs will always come up as "advertised". When set to "Yes", 1616 will be 1623 during MSEL.

I think it acts somewhat the opposite on the BC296D... I think the question is actually "reversed" between the two radios.

I have the status bit ON on my 396T and i received that priority call on eastern as normal.

bonus1331

#$@$#%^%$##

This is why the confusion. In the UASD for the 396, you can either check off ignore status bits or not. I currently do NOT have the box checked off which means I'm not ignoring status bits........I think???!!!
In UASD to capture patched TG's should the box be checked off that states "ignore status bits"?

I have the 780 and in ARC780 the box to be checked states "status bits on".

I'm soooo confused!!!!!!

troymail

Silent Key
bonus1331 said:
This is why the confusion. In the UASD for the 396, you can either check off ignore status bits or not. I currently do NOT have the box checked off which means I'm not ignoring status bits........I think???!!!
In UASD to capture patched TG's should the box be checked off that states "ignore status bits"?

I have the 780 and in ARC780 the box to be checked states "status bits on".

I'm soooo confused!!!!!!

According to the user's manual for the 780, the default setting for the status bit is
"on" so all TG ids are rounded down to the base ID (16 +7 = 23 but will still drop to 16)

From the manual:
On Type II trunking systems there is a method by which specialized types of communications utilize unique talkgroup numbers. An emergency call will occur on a unique talkgroup from its primary assignment, for example. Because the BC780XLT defaults to Status-Bit On mode, you never need to worry about missing these transmissions. If you've programmed talkgroup 33264 into Scan List memory, for example, and there is an emergency call within the group, you will hear it on 33264.

Status
Not open for further replies.