convert AM/FM home stereo to shortwave?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Uses the 1MHz or so bandwidth of the AM rcvr as a tunable IF......
True but how do you determine actual frequency as the Grundig bandwidth is smaller than the tuner. Some maths must be involved. There is a service manual on line with the operating frequencies and LO so it can be calculated. An operators manual I could not find.

The OP would be better served buying an older SW receiver that already has a slide rule "dial".

wenzeslaus

it has a slide tuner, but I highly doubt the action is anywhere as nice as a stereo receiver.

yep. I got one word for that radio. and that word is...

*thunk*
flywheel.jpg

flywheel

K7MEM

it has a slide tuner, but I highly doubt the action is anywhere as nice as a stereo receiver.

The radio shown has a very nice slide action, just like your stereo receiver. Both the Main Tuning and the Band Spread have the same mechanism as your radio. I have a Lafayette HE-30 receiver, that I obtained around 1966, and it has tuning similar to the Heathkit above, and almost any stereo receiver. My Marantz SR 6010 DC Receiver/Amplifier also has the same kind of tuning. It receives FM stereo very nicely. I don't think I have ever used it on AM.

What your stereo receiver doesn't have is:

• A calibrator
  • A mode switch (BFO for CW/SSB)
  • The ability to turn off the AVC
  • A automatic noise limiter
  • A RF Gain
  • A Band Spread for fine tuning.
All of which are pretty necessary for a usable short wave receiver.

If you really want to do some short wave listening, you might want to try the NA5B Web SDR Receiver, on your computer. It covers all bands, all modes, and it's free. I was just listening to W1AW on 7208 KHz (SSB). There are several other SDRs available on the internet. You can even buy a SRD Receiver (SDRPlay) for your compute that will give you everything you need in a short wave receiver.

wenzeslaus

it sure would be nice to have all those bells and whistles you listed. but necessary? no.

I am aware of the SDRPlay; if I wanted an actual ham radio I would have settled for one of those already. but I'm more of a DIY type of guy. I'm not in it for actually listening to stations. that's why I don't bother with web SDR's such what you find on websdr.org and kiwisdr.com either.

and that's why I want to turn a stereo into a shortwave receiver.

get it?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
it sure would be nice to have all those bells and whistles you listed. but necessary? no.

I am aware of the SDRPlay; if I wanted an actual ham radio I would have settled for one of those already. but I'm more of a DIY type of guy. I'm not in it for actually listening to stations. that's why I don't bother with web SDR's such what you find on websdr.org and kiwisdr.com either.

get it?
SDRPlay = ham radio? That's new.

If you want to convert your stereo into a SW receiver, then go for it. Let us know how it goes.

K7MEM

get it?

No, I don't get it. SDRPlay is not a ham radio. It's just a receiver. And, if you are not actually doing it to listen to stations, why are you even bothering? Before you DIY, you might want to pick up an old copy of the ARRL Handbook ($5-$6 at a ham fest) and read the section on receivers. That might help you with your project. Well, have a party. QRU 73.

wenzeslaus

No, I don't get it. SDRPlay is not a ham radio. It's just a receiver. And, if you are not actually doing it to listen to stations, why are you even bothering? Before you DIY, you might want to pick up an old copy of the ARRL Handbook ($5-$6 at a ham fest) and read the section on receivers. That might help you with your project. Well, have a party. QRU 73.
yep you don't get it. {shrug)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Run over to YouTube. Search for "convert am radio to shortwave", There are a whole bunch of vids covering the subject.