• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Create a new Class E (CB/FRS) from part of the Ham 70cm band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
under part 95 any radio can transmit under5 watts. on gmrs or 20 foot or less. with a programable radio drop frs.1-7 since kids will use those first. start with channels 8-22 in a programmable radio. watts or less is legal. gmrs has 5 extra channels .467.55- 467. 575 467.600 467.625 467.650 467675 467.700 467.725...part 95 does say no operations north of lines a and c .on these channels yes if your south you these in place of 1-7 frs ...that will liminate bubble pack kids , and pl tone optionals with a programable radio...if your willing to spend extra for desent radio. giving 14 quiet channels ...kids willuse 1-7 first normally. so drop 1-7 if you have programming ability. then add murs 5 channels again pl tones can be used on these... 14 gmrs plus 5 murs 19 channels. you could utlize a couple more if you need to portablely from business pool like 151.505 .154.415 . then youll have 20 or 21 plus channels. but a multiband radio is required to utlize vhf/uhf together. on these channels if the need a rises. remember cb was only 23 channels back in the day. so using 40 channels vhf/uhf would be far fetched with low noise any ways. another considering thing vhf marine is be comming more and more un governed with out licesne so to say...no one will care if channel 69 is used for a short distance talk in land...unless 60 foot antennea or 50watts or over is used . if your legally under what part 95 says you can use you have no worries . motorala has such equipment and you can program certain un licensed frequecies already . wolly world doesn,t sell programable equipment ...it all boils down to your pocket book and look at the part 95s again ...following wattage rule is number one first... yet many license frequencies can be utlized together with the right radio.
I can't understand what you are trying to say since all of your post is ran together would you please elaborate?

SCPD

QRT
CB and GMRS/FRS are the ones that are under used. Here's a thought, Why not just get an amateur radio license? If you're playing with radios why not get a better understanding of them. The test is based on basic physics and common sense and its $15 dollars for what 10 years? Is that really so terrible? I think they should revamp the rules to allow for at least say Part 90 maybe 10 watts on the FRS/GMRS spectrum, but that's pushing it. I don't think the argument holds enough water to really even consider this.

Question for the amateur's:
The USAF uses the amateur spectrum between 440-450? I would believe 420-440, but not the rest. I also thought that those were MARS and Civil Air Patrol used, but still why are they in the 440 spectrum and not the 200 mhz AM spectrum?

!0 watts? You are actually allowed 50 watts on GMRS.

nd5y

Question for the amateur's:
The USAF uses the amateur spectrum between 440-450? I would believe 420-440, but not the rest. I also thought that those were MARS and Civil Air Patrol used, but still why are they in the 440 spectrum and not the 200 mhz AM spectrum?
The military uses the 420-450 MHz band for radar and a few types of digital spread spectrum communicatons systems, not for AM or FM voice communications and not for MARS or CAP. There are also federal wind profiler radar systems at some airports in on 448-450 MHz.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

The FCC just needs to mandate 6.25 khz or DpMR on the GMRS/FRS channels. This would increase to the band to about 62 channels. Most of the so called bubble pack radios have a real life span of only a couple of years, so the change over would happen fairly fast. I know this won't pass muster with the guys running old Part 90 gear. Hey, the FCC needs to get with the future which is digital narrow band.

I do think that some spectrum in the VHF low band would be useful for recreation and outdoor activities. It would need to be in the 60-70 mhz range to prevent use of old Part 90 equipment and again with digital mode.

Bob

slapshot0017

!0 watts? You are actually allowed 50 watts on GMRS.

Shows how much I pay attention to it...

The military uses the 420-450 MHz band for radar and a few types of digital spread spectrum communicatons systems, not for AM or FM voice communications and not for MARS or CAP. There are also federal wind profiler radar systems at some airports in on 448-450 MHz.

OH I see I guess I read the earlier post wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

SCPD

QRT
The FCC just needs to mandate 6.25 khz or DpMR on the GMRS/FRS channels. This would increase to the band to about 62 channels. Most of the so called bubble pack radios have a real life span of only a couple of years, so the change over would happen fairly fast. I know this won't pass muster with the guys running old Part 90 gear. Hey, the FCC needs to get with the future which is digital narrow band.

I do think that some spectrum in the VHF low band would be useful for recreation and outdoor activities. It would need to be in the 60-70 mhz range to prevent use of old Part 90 equipment and again with digital mode.

Bob
GMRS works as it was intended and should be left alone......I am through with my comments on this subject.

quarterwave

Bob

Yes, because I "just" desperately want to spend $5,000 to replace my perfectly good MTR2000 (that, does not by the way, arrive in a bubble pack) which is for personal (non-business, non-profit) use since someone thinks we need 62 channels instead of 8, and only 2 of the 8 are used within 50 miles of here. Hmmm.

Maybe we need to re-farm all the Ham bands to different locations, with some new, not on the market yet modulation scheme, and nullify all the licenses so you have to get them all over again. Just for fun!

Just my take.

rescuecomm

Yes, because I "just" desperately want to spend $5,000 to replace my perfectly good MTR2000 (that, does not by the way, arrive in a bubble pack) which is for personal (non-business, non-profit) use since someone thinks we need 62 channels instead of 8, and only 2 of the 8 are used within 50 miles of here. Hmmm.

So the needs of the few outweigh the need of the many? I have a bunch of UHF handheld radios too, but am aware of the limitations when too many of the unwashed get together in one place. Every been at a major theme park? Or on a cruise when the Mouse cruise ship anchors next berth? Okay, you guys can keep the wide band FM since you are few and the normal use of GMRS in many areas (including mine) is sparse. Any new license by rule should be digital and on a band without access to other type of radios.

onecent, onecent..

Bob

slapshot0017

Rescue they have digital type FRS or GMRS radios at like target or dicks they're cheap and anyone can buy them. I'm sorry to say, but you are the minority in this argument. Why take away bandwidth because you want use a certain radio. Amateurs take a test so they can use them. Back in the day only amateur's and public safety could own radios. There's plenty of options out there just have to look not reinvent the wheel... Oh and one last thing I'm not sure if you know, but the only thing digital is good for is voice clarity because other than that the range on them is terrible... Analog can get noisy, but is still there. Digital is either there or its not.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

slapshot0017

Businesses didn't really utilize radios till recently but yes all of the others obviously had them. I was implying that my bad... that wasn't my point though... I meant the everyday person didn't have access to them, you had to know your stuff to personally own one. Handheld radio technology is pretty new. It grew with cellphone technology.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Yea... This is never going to happen. Simply Put, the US is signitory to international agreements on how the spectrum is used. IF this ever. Did happen, these radios. Would not be able to be used with in the border region of either Canada or Mexico. In Canada 420-430 is used for LMR. Before Canada had GMRS/FRS we had a real issue with Americans using GMRS gear in Canada when those frequencies were used by public safety in Canada.

I would say this is a bad idea all around.

KA9QPN

Not this stuff again...

Generally, this comes up every so often. I recall a similar proposal for the 220 band back in the 70's. However, the New and Improved Pay-For-Play FCC isn't going to be doling out any more spectrum of value to people who can't pay for it. The argument can be made that there are plenty of license-by-rule opportunities out there now--CB, 49MHz, MURS, FRS, in addition to GMRS where practically no one bothers with a license any more.

The kicker here is that the military is the primary user of 420-450MHz, and Amateurs are there as an afterthought and a placeholder. In case of open warfare requiring the military to occupy that space, there is precedent for telling hams to get off the air for the duration. All in all, it becomes just a thought experiment, as it ain't happening.

quarterwave

"Okay, you guys can keep the wide band FM since you are few and the normal use of GMRS in many areas (including mine) is sparse."

Oh thank goodness I was worried!

#holierthanthou?

D

DaveNF2G

Can you really believe that totally untrained licensed-by-rule dipsticks like many who already occupy CB and FRS are going to pay any attention to how close they are to the Canadian border?

SCPD

QRT
Not this stuff again...

Generally, this comes up every so often. I recall a similar proposal for the 220 band back in the 70's. However, the New and Improved Pay-For-Play FCC isn't going to be doling out any more spectrum of value to people who can't pay for it. The argument can be made that there are plenty of license-by-rule opportunities out there now--CB, 49MHz, MURS, FRS, in addition to GMRS where practically no one bothers with a license any more.

The kicker here is that the military is the primary user of 420-450MHz, and Amateurs are there as an afterthought and a placeholder. In case of open warfare requiring the military to occupy that space, there is precedent for telling hams to get off the air for the duration. All in all, it becomes just a thought experiment, as it ain't happening.

Several of us keep our license and do follow the rules.I can't help what others prefer to do but myself and several more will continue to do so,if the general public weren't so lazy as to look at GMRS and to take full advantage of it's features the service would be better that it is.

The thinking of the layperson is GMRS is a bubble pack service and nothing else.If the FCC would sit and listen to the band more than they do the pirates would fall in their lap.If you don't like it and do not use it stay off of it and let the ones who care about it use it legally.

We have enough negative comments already about GMRS and do not need more.If they decide to go license by rule they will and no comments will change it.It has been 4 years since the NPRM went out and the FCC hasn't changed a thing and they received more comments against it than for it so I think running your mouths about it holds no water.I think it is time to put these type of wasted topics to rest.

Several of us are tired of the same thing about changing and so forth on the subject of GMRS,it is what is is and until it is changed no comments about doing this or that to it will make any difference so why waste your time and breath beating it to death with different forms of what we need to do with GMRS.

Dantian

@ron36:

"part95 says clearly frs/gmrs are recreation and family talk. not be used for business purposes"

Really? Where does it say that?

- - -

@jdobbs2001.html:

"Create a new Class E (CB/FRS) from part of the Ham 70cm band?"

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page32.html

http://www.gao.gov/assets/120/114236.pdf

- - -

Want a new Citizens service? FCC just gave you one:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/proposes-creation-new-citizens-broadband-radio-service-35-ghz

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Can you really believe that totally untrained licensed-by-rule dipsticks like many who already occupy CB and FRS are going to pay any attention to how close they are to the Canadian border?

My point exactly, Americans caused caos before a couple of cities left UHF for 800MHz, t would be more of the same for Canadian LMR users of 420-430 if there was a new license by rule service in that band segment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.