• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anytone D578UV Connector Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I am guessing "no" but has anyone attempted to swap the SO239 connector for an N connector? Looks like a pretty standard connector port on the back. Would be nice to have a little better connector on it.

bharvey2

But why? I doubt if you could ever measure the difference in performance and it would be impossible to notice on air.

Sometimes the "because I can" factor is too strong to ignore. I suffer from it from time to time.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Between the 'desolder' picture and the 'solder well' picture I see the brass(?) horseshoe shaped grounding strap is not used. I wonder how that effects performance. Yes, I realize the connector mounting screw makes the chassis connection. I expect if that was good enough Yaesu would not have designed/added/used it. ...idle speculation on my part...

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I will admit this thought came to mind due to the old N vs "UHF" debate over the loss being way less with N style. But Honestly like with many things the real answer seems to be somewhere in between.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
"Between the 'desolder' picture and the 'solder well' picture I see the brass(?) horseshoe shaped grounding strap is not used. I wonder how that effects performance. Yes, I realize the connector mounting screw makes the chassis connection. I expect if that was good enough Yaesu would not have designed/added/used it. ...idle speculation on my part..."

FYI, it's an Anytone...

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I will admit this thought came to mind due to the old N vs "UHF" debate over the loss being way less with N style. But Honestly like with many things the real answer seems to be somewhere in between.

The loss at 70cm is somewhere between non-existent to not significant. You aren't going to notice a difference at all, if loss is what you're concerned with.

N4KVE

I agree with you guys 1000%. But it seems the people on the CS800, & CS800D forums don’t. When you get the radio from the distributor, they don’t tell you it comes with the N connector, so in today’s world of instant gratification, the buyers want to use the radio 3 minutes after the big brown truck pulls away. So while Radio Shack used to sell the adaptor, they are gone, & that means buying online, & a further delay. Connect Systems should tell each prospective buyer that the radio comes with the N connector, & ask if they need the adapter. So on the 800 forums, many claim the PL259 is garbage, & not to use the adapter, & solder the N connector on their coax. Never mind that Icom, Kenwood, & Yaesu all use the SO239 on their UHF radios, these guys think the N connector is so much superior to the PL259. But if CS would just tell buyers about the N connector, it would save a lot of grief.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I mean, I believe the N connector is the better connector, especially outside at the antenna, if nothing else, just for weatherproofing. As you go higher in frequency, that's when the N connectors shine as well. But at 70cm, there is just no difference, especially on the radio, where weather is not going to be a concern.

prcguy

I just tuned up a Motorola UHF duplexer this afternoon. Its a stock unit unmodified and it has SO-239 connectors all over it. This was connected to what was their flagship repeater not that long ago, a $15k Quantar. If the SO-239 was crap at 500MHz then Motorola would not be using it. I've run many swept tests of N vs PL259 connector cables and the differences are sub .1dB at 500MHz, nothing to worry about.

With that I always prefer an N connector and have changed some out on radios over the years just as the OP is proposing, but I'm not normal and suffer from the dreaded "aerial disease".

I agree with you guys 1000%. But it seems the people on the CS800, & CS800D forums don’t. When you get the radio from the distributor, they don’t tell you it comes with the N connector, so in today’s world of instant gratification, the buyers want to use the radio 3 minutes after the big brown truck pulls away. So while Radio Shack used to sell the adaptor, they are gone, & that means buying online, & a further delay. Connect Systems should tell each prospective buyer that the radio comes with the N connector, & ask if they need the adapter. So on the 800 forums, many claim the PL259 is garbage, & not to use the adapter, & solder the N connector on their coax. Never mind that Icom, Kenwood, & Yaesu all use the SO239 on their UHF radios, these guys think the N connector is so much superior to the PL259. But if CS would just tell buyers about the N connector, it would save a lot of grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.