Database Submission Clarifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnelson

Premium Subscriber
I am developing a submission (my first) of Talkgroup changes and I have some questions. I have read the RadioReference.com Database Administrator Handbook Version 1.6 (RDAH) and base the questions on that document.

1) Section 6.5.2 of the RDAH is titled Function Tags and Descriptions. In the Database (DB), one of the column headings is Service Tag. Does the Function Tag description apply to the Service Tag column? If these two references are the same I suggest that either the RDAH or the DB be revised to make the nomenclature consistent.

2) Is there a maximum character count for information in the Database Description field?

3) Some Talkgroups have more than one line shown with different uses. For example:
DEC Description
1234 Plumbers
1234 Bricklayers
I have confirmed Bricklayers, not Plumbers, are the users and I want to delete the Plumber line from the Database. How should this change be submitted?

4) In addition to clarifying and adding Talkgroups, I am correcting the syntax on many Talkgroups to make them agree with the RDAH. Examples of syntax changes I would like to submit include:

a. Mix of lower and upper case letters
b. Abbreviations

Is it best to submit only the Talkgroups that will change (More than one-half of them on the System), or all of the Talkgroups which would allow the administrator to "cut and paste" the entire system.

5) I notice that the Talkgroup groupings are in random sequence (as best as I can tell). Is there a way for me to offer a more logical sequence of organizing the groups? Alphabetical would be one suggestion. For example:
a. Any County Fire
b. Any County Police
c. Some City Fire
d. Some City Police

Thanks for helping me to make the RadioReference Database an even more useful resource.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Section 6.5.2 of the RDAH is titled Function Tags and Descriptions. In the Database (DB), one of the column headings is Service Tag. Does the Function Tag description apply to the Service Tag column? If these two references are the same I suggest that either the RDAH or the DB be revised to make the nomenclature consistent.

The Handbook will need to be revised. Once our Database Admin Manager sees this thread he can change it.

Is there a maximum character count for information in the Database Description field?

It doesn't seem to be limited in the input field but I'm sure there's a limit in the actual database. The Database Admin Manager can comment on this. It would be a good idea to include that limit in the Handbook.

Some Talkgroups have more than one line shown with different uses. For example:
DEC Description
1234 Plumbers
1234 Bricklayers
I have confirmed Bricklayers, not Plumbers, are the users and I want to delete the Plumber line from the Database. How should this change be submitted?

Just ask to have the duplicates deleted and the reason why.

In addition to clarifying and adding Talkgroups, I am correcting the syntax on many Talkgroups to make them agree with the RDAH. Examples of syntax changes I would like to submit include:

a. Mix of lower and upper case letters
b. Abbreviations

Is it best to submit only the Talkgroups that will change (More than one-half of them on the System), or all of the Talkgroups which would allow the administrator to "cut and paste" the entire system.

Please don't submit all the talkgroups. The DB Admin will then have to spend time trying to figure out what needs changing and what doesn't. Just submit what needs to be changed. The DB Admin can import this list in or freehand enter it.

I notice that the Talkgroup groupings are in random sequence (as best as I can tell). Is there a way for me to offer a more logical sequence of organizing the groups? Alphabetical would be one suggestion. For example:
a. Any County Fire
b. Any County Police
c. Some City Fire
d. Some City Police

Thanks for helping me to make the RadioReference Database an even more useful resource.

Typically the DB Admin will decide what works best for his or her area. If you think you have a better way of sorting things, then by all means make a suggestion.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
mbnelson could you please post a link to the page you are talking about I will look it over today, I am one of the Admins for that area and will be more then happy to look it over. and fix it.

Thanks, Ken

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Ah yes, I had started to clean it up but forgot about it.

There's a mixture of upper and lower case, abbreviations in the Description and a Category called "Other" which seems to be a dumping ground for anything and everything.

mbnelson

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I have cleaned up the upper and lower case, abbreviations and other syntax items in the draft update that I am working on. No need for you to spend time doing that as it will be coming from me soon.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Too late. I've started a while ago. Let me get it finished up over the next few days and then see what else needs doing. This will take a while.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Ok, take a look now. I've made a first pass over the system and cleaned up a lot of upper/lower case mixes, duplication of names between the Subcategory and Talkgroup names, abbreviations in the Description field and inconsistent Alpha Tag naming.

I also cleaned up a few Service Tags which weren't right and moved a bunch of stuff out of the "Other" subcategory.

There's a bunch of abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean and a bunch of talkgroups still in the "Other" subcategory that I don't know where they go.

Hopefully you'll be able to concentrate on moving talkgroups around to their proper subcategories.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Ok, take a look now. I've made a first pass over the system and cleaned up a lot of upper/lower case mixes, duplication of names between the Subcategory and Talkgroup names, abbreviations in the Description field and inconsistent Alpha Tag naming.

I also cleaned up a few Service Tags which weren't right and moved a bunch of stuff out of the "Other" subcategory.

There's a bunch of abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean and a bunch of talkgroups still in the "Other" subcategory that I don't know where they go.

Hopefully you'll be able to concentrate on moving talkgroups around to their proper subcategories.
Emails sent

mbnelson

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I am following up on your April 19 reply to me.
1. Do you have a way of determining if the Database Admin Manager has read the thread and when the Handbook will be revised to:
a. Change Section 6.5.2 Function Tags and Descriptions to read Service Tag
b. Include the maximum character count in the Database Description field
2. Ken Simmons has been very helpful as he and I have sorted through my April 23, 2014 submission. Recently, in order to assist him, I analyzed the entire King County System and found numerous extra spaces and other inconsistencies. I have offered to Ken to make submissions from me perfect in every way so that his update tasks are very easy. With that said, I reread your 04-19-2014 12:50PM entry where you indicate that you made a cleanup pass over the system. Do you have an example of two of what was changed?
Thanks for your help.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Mike, I am following up on your April 19 reply to me.
1. Do you have a way of determining if the Database Admin Manager has read the thread and when the Handbook will be revised to:
a. Change Section 6.5.2 Function Tags and Descriptions to read Service Tag
b. Include the maximum character count in the Database Description field

No, you'd have to ask the Database Manager.

2. Ken Simmons has been very helpful as he and I have sorted through my April 23, 2014 submission. Recently, in order to assist him, I analyzed the entire King County System and found numerous extra spaces and other inconsistencies. I have offered to Ken to make submissions from me perfect in every way so that his update tasks are very easy. With that said, I reread your 04-19-2014 12:50PM entry where you indicate that you made a cleanup pass over the system. Do you have an example of two of what was changed?
Thanks for your help.

Sorry but that was 3 months ago and I've probably worked a few hundred submissions since then so my memory of this particular system is long gone.

I would review what you feel still needs to be cleaned up and make your submissions.

mbnelson

Premium Subscriber
Mike, how do I contact the Database Manager concerning changes to the RadioReference.com Database Administrator Handbook?

mciupa

Database Admin
You should visit the Contact Us page which is found in the About tab at the top of the page.

Click Support and Help from there, click Support Requests

Read the "Everything Else" section. Although it is humorously written, you should be able to attain help from that point.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.