DCNR Antenna?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
The rangers at our local state park are encrypted. They have been using the standard antenna for the state system for awhile. I now notice another antenna on all their vehicles. It is black and square. Can someone tell me what this is for?

pi1.jpg

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Antenna for GPS, WiFi, and cellular. Typically used if they are running Cradle points.

Standard State issue for DCNR, PSP and other Commonwealth vehicles.

EMT1301

Premium Subscriber
What talkgroup are they using that is encrypted?
In District 4, Rangers primarily communicate on DCNR Ranger 04 for law enforcement operations. They interop with our 911 center on that talkgroup for traffic stops, etc. It has almost become their day-to-day operations talk group.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The rangers at our local state park are encrypted. They have been using the standard antenna for the state system for awhile. I now notice another antenna on all their vehicles. It is black and square. Can someone tell me what this is for?

That's the antenna that Harris sends if you order the WiFi/LTE/GPS option with your mobile radio.

Could be used for a number of things:

-More recent high end public safety radios will not only do traditional LMR radio type stuff, but they'll also have an option to link back into the P25 core via LTE networks. Helpful if LMR coverage is not available everywhere.
-The Harris radios can act as a WiFi hotspot if they have the LTE option.
-The GPS portion is useful for vehicle location to dispatch.

Or, as others said, could be used for their Cradlepoint modems, or multiple other options.

The antenna in front of the lightbar is a multiband VHF/UHF/700/800MHz antenna.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Most of the PA DCNR I’ve come across with our contract are using APX 8000’s with the mobile docking station.

Same with the State forestry guys unless they are an actual warden, their vehicles have the 8500’s.

Buildings have Consolettes , and use the mobile antenna with the ground plane kit or the occasional discone type.

The Forrestry guys also keep BK radios in their bags. Never asked them what they use the BK’s for but assuming it’s for the VHF repeaters they still use for where then State System doesn’t work.

French Creek State Park has some dead areas as well as Tuscarora, which their park rangers were using Schuylkill County PD talk groups since their radios wouldn’t work on Starnet ( last time I was up there last year)

kb3ouk

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the DCNR stuff seems to vary by district and even by what county in the district. Here in Fulton there are 2 rangers that mostly patrol state forest land and then a ranger or 2 at Cowans Gap state park and they use the county sheriff's channel if they're on a traffic stop, need assistance, etc., I've even heard the Cowans Gap ranger come up on the county's fire dispatch channel requesting an ambulance before. The other 2 rangers will check in and sign off with the county at the beginning and end of their shift every day.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Seems that way here as well along with the Game Commission. Blows my mind as to why either had to go capital E. But then again I say that for anything that is capital E. Or lowercase e.

At least with winter on the way I’ll hear more from PennDOT.