• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DCS compatibility between Cobra microtalk and Btech GMRS-V1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreca

I have purchased a Btech GMRS-V1 and am trying to get it to work with my cobra micro talk cxr900. I have set the frequency to 16 DCS 6 on the micro talk. The GMRS-V1 is setup with DCS 0043N for both TX and RX. When I key the micro talk up, it breaks the squelch on the GMRS-V1, but when I key the GMRS-V1, the mircotalk does not receive. I have tried both DCS 0043N and DCS0043I setting on the Btech. I have also tried other codes on both.

What could I be doing wrong? Any assistance would be appreciated.

n1das

DCS code #6 may be a different DCS code than 043N in one of the radios. Code #5 or #7 could be 043N. Not all radios have implemented the same set of DCS codes. The owner's manual for each radio may have a table of DCS codes it supports. DCS 043N is one of the 83 original Motorola DPL codes so both radios should have it.

Do you have a scanner or another radio that can read and display DCS codes? That will tell you what DCS code each radio is sending when code #6 is selected.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nd5y

If the Btech GMRS-V1 is anything like the UV-82 it can scan and detect received DCS or PL. You need to set the V1 to DCS search and transmit on the Cobra until you find the tone. It takes a long time unlike modern scanners.

mooreca

Thank you. Looking it up, the GMRS-V1 does do DCS scanning, so I will try scanning that this Friday when I get a chance. One more question. I will be atving in a couple weeks and we have permission to use a repeater in the area. The repeater uses a PL code of 141.3. Can I use a DCS code in addition to the PL code so that my radios break the squelch for only my group? This was unclear to me in the documentation that n1das sent...

nd5y

The repeater uses a PL code of 141.3. Can I use a DCS code in addition to the PL code so that my radios break the squelch for only my group?
Your radio can't do both PL and DCS on the same channel at the same time.
You would have to program one channel with PL and another channel with DCS and scan or switch between them.

Some repeater controllers can be set up as a community repeater and accept different PL or DCS tones for different groups of users (but they can't talk at the same time). In that case you would program your radio with different channels with different tones for the different user groups. You would need to find out from the repeater owner if it is set up that way or like most repeaters with only one tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.