Decode Westchester Police Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rszkodzi

How do police codes work?

I get the whole 10-xx code system, I found lots of references here and online through searches, but what does it mean when an operator says something that is not a 10 code, like 1648 or 1310 or something like that?

Is the first two digits a car code or post number and the last two the police code?

I am specifically talking about Westchester County Police/Sheriff.

Thanks.

-R

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
If a dispatcher is calling a unit it normally means:

First 2 numbers are city (Like 16 would mean Mount Pleasant PD)
3rd number shift
4th zone (0 tends to mean shift supervisor)

Last edited:

Alarms50

How do police codes work?

I get the whole 10-xx code system, I found lots of references here and online through searches, but what does it mean when an operator says something that is not a 10 code, like 1648 or 1310 or something like that?

Is the first two digits a car code or post number and the last two the police code?

I am specifically talking about Westchester County Police/Sheriff.

Thanks.

-R

First Westchester County Department of Public Safety (County PD) does not use 10 Codes, see this link http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Westchester_County_(NY). "Westchester Police Signal Codes" are what are used by WCDPS, not any other Police Agencies in the Westchester County.

Second the 1648 and 1310 you referenced are most likey car numbers, see post # 2 of this link http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...orum/200840-westchester-county-questions.html.

Third, everyone likes to help, but what irks me is when people like to guess about this or that, to me it is better not to post, than to post something that may or may not be the truth. It may be the way it is done in someplaces, but it may not be in the area the OP is interested in.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Third, everyone likes to help, but what irks me is when people like to guess about this or that, to me it is better not to post, than to post something that may or may not be the truth. It may be the way it is done in someplaces, but it may not be in the area the OP is interested in.

EDIT: Deleted/covered better in later post

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

It's great that people are nice and want to try to help, but I could never understand why people from out of state...sometimes way out of state...jump into other state forums and chime in on local issues that are usually pretty specific. Sure, of course it's an open forum and anyone is free to post wherever they want, but it just doesn't make sense. :confused: We get all sorts of "outsiders" popping into the NY forum to "help", and more often than not they're wrong and just add more confusion to the issue. Like the guy from Massachusetts who posts in here all the time, and can never seem to get anything right. :roll:

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I almost never post in other state forums. :wink:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Well I can't speak for others, but I spend 2.5-3mo a year in New York(And 2 weeks p/yr in Wayne Co PA)... I'm sorry. At least I double checked the wiki before posting

Does no one find it funny the guy who lives in New York was the guy Alarms disagreed with?

In the future, why assume someone is trying to be a know-it-all? Maybe, ask a question.... Or find out some background before assuming.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I found it funny that the guy that makes a stink about "people guessing about this and that", is the same one thats answers the post with "the 1648 and 1310 you referenced are most likey car numbers"..

"Most likely" does not sound like a definitive answer to me, but thats just me and im just saying. And from what I read in post 2, I don't see anything like those 4 digit numbers listed or described. All the numbers there had letters in them..

To the op, next time you hear numbers like that, look at the clock and see if the last 2 numbers come close to the actual time..

Alarms50

FYI - WCDPS Cars are usually 14xx or 16xx series for the individual cars. I did not post that 1648 or 1310 were definately actual car numbers because I do not have personal knowledge of these #'s. There are other series numbers for Special Units (i.e.99xx).

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
You're right, Dave.

This
Alarms50 said:
Second the 1648 and 1310 you referenced are most likey car numbers
And this:
I did not post that 1648 or 1310 were definately actual car numbers because I do not have personal knowledge of these #'s.

Does sound like he's doing this
Alarms50 said:
but what irks me is when people like to guess about this or that to me it is better not to post, than to post something that may or may not be the truth.

Not sayin, Just sayin.....

Last edited:

Alarms50

Fwi -

Answering something without personal knowledge is called what ? ? ?

See this link for pictures of Cars of the WCDPS Search results for westchester County police

Note: The following are actual car numbers for WCDPS per the above link: 1403, 1407, 1410, 1412, 1414, 1415, 1416, 1417, 1419, 1420, 1421, 1425, 1428, 1431, 1434, 1436, 1445, 1453, 1454, 1458, 1461, 1464, 1467, 1476, 1484, 1485, 1486, 1487, 1494, 1496, 1497. 1604, 1635, among other #'s, but no 1648 or 1310.

Does anyone see a trend here? Maybe, as I stated above, WCDPS Cars have 14xx & 16xx series
numbers.

This thread needs to be closed, the OP's question has been answered.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
This thread needs to be closed

That, I would have to agree with.

But just a tip for the future... If you come off in a condescending/demeaning manor, expect people to react in kind.

Heck, in my case you(and the other Gentleman) chose to assume things, knowing nothing about me, or how I spend nearly 30% of the year in NY.

Have a good night, and hopefully we can help each other out in the future.

rszkodzi

Thanks everyone. This was helpful ... err except all the flames.

What I found was a mix of car numbers and zone numbers in some instances, Signal Codes in another, Time in military time. and one other thing.
A note on the time, it looks like every conversation is ending with a timecheck in military time.
Makes sense, since their conversations are probably all recorded.

But I also found that officers are quoting the NYS VTL sections to describe events. Like the following:
I have a possible 1192 on the BRP. Meaning I have a drunk driver on the Bronx River Parkway.

1180 Speeding or Speeder
1192 DUI or DWUI

It took me a moment to find this out surfing through NYS laws online. I updated the Westchester WIKI with the information and as I listen on a regular basis I will add more.

-Regards
R

Status
Not open for further replies.