DFW Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Primarily the aero medical helicopter use 131.675 for the Fort Worth area and 131.45 for the Dallas area for coordination with CareFlite. 123.025 is an air to air for them nowadays. I don't hear the media chopper(s) or DPD using 123.025 very much anymore like they used to. Primarily just the medical helos.

On the topic of the media birds, they do still use their 450 MHz frequencies. Depending upon who is using the helicopter at the time, you will hear them on their respective frequencies.

Brian
COMMSCAN

KTVT Channel 11 seems to be the primary on flight time, and you can hear the photo journalist contacting each of the stations on their respective 450 radio channel for coordination. The pooled feed is picked up by each station, but they very often refer to a Matrix, where they can pull up the video if their signal is too poor for a quality stream. They do have the ability to request exclusive time.

The LEO choppers can still be heard on 123.025 occasionally, talking to the media choppers and I recently heard FWPD Air 1 talking to DPD Air 1 during a chase that went into Johnson County.

Scottm467

Welcome to the Fort Worth area. As for DPS on the FWRRS, they are on the Johnson County simulcast site. It's really just a repeat of the Mineral Wells DPS traffic. There is also a TGID on the Parker County VHF TRS that is easier to listen to and carries the same traffic. These are so the local DPS units in those counties that might be having any issues hitting the VHF DPS frequencies can use them. One thing I've noticed is I don't seem to hear units on the site / TGID in Johnson County. I just hear the dispatch side of things. But to be fair, I haven't really listened to that TGID much in the last year or so. And I'm not constantly monitoring Parker County either but that DPS TGID on their system seems to be a lot more busy and I do often hear units as well.

At the end of last summer, the TWRD... Or was it TRWD... I can't remember right now, was still using the Azle PD old VHF frequencies. Azle abandoned those frequencies when they moved to the FWRRS. I had a great surveillance frequency for those game wardens that was a simplex frequency. I heard them all the time going back and forth between the courthouse and jail in Lake Worth as well as them doing surveillance on illegal hunters and other operations for a number of years. I believe that frequency was 153.845 but I would have to double check. The only bad thing is that I have not heard any traffic on that frequency in the last 3 years or so. I don't know if they just abandoned it or what but I always kept that one scanning because it was interesting to me to hear night time surveillances at 2:00 a.m. on people illegally hunting, fishing, and doing other things usually around Eagle Mountain Lake. Like I mentioned, it was a simplex use on the frequency so there was no repeater I ever heard used.

Every public safety user is far as law enforcement and fire, with the exception of the city of Hurst, is on the FWRRS in Tarrant County. There is one other FD, Rendon FD, that is still on a VHF frequency. I'm 90% sure Rendon is in Tarrant County but I would need to double check that again too and make sure they're not in Johnson County.

The VHF frequency you mentioned and the NTTA DPS traffic on the TRS you mentioned is all North Texas Toll Road Authority related. Other than traffic stops and wrecks and similar things, I never really hear the NTTA DPS guys doing any other stuff. I have found a few interesting TGIDs on that system in past years but they seem to either be patched in or maybe just not ever used except for very rarely. Sometimes you will hear some of the FWRRS interoperability TGIDs also on that system. You'll hear them on both systems at the same time. I think those get patched like that, at least in the past, so that some of the agencies, which used to include DPS, can all be heard and communicate with each other. I don't think that is really needed anymore at this point and whenever there is something interesting like a task force that is patrolling an area with the help of agencies like DPS, nowadays I just hear them using a few of the regular FWRRS Law Interop channels. I haven't heard them doing this since last year but periodically they will have a small task force with a few agencies helping in an area that might be having a lot of crime. They will sometimes have three or four of the interoperability channels they use kind of like one for dispatch, one for more tactical stuff, one for running license plates and DL checks, etc.

On the west side of Fort Worth, and possibly even all of Tarrant County, the DPS units seem to usually talk to Mineral Wells. They do talk to other areas but I hear them talking to Mineral Wells the most. I think 159.2125 and 159.210 are where I hear the majority of DPS traffic. But they still also use the 155.46 and other digital P25 frequencies for the area. And I do know that 155.46 is also used over in the Dallas side of the metroplex. But strangely, I don't hear them as often as I used to when they were analog. A buddy of mine that has his antenna up a lot higher is usually able to hear them with no trouble as well as other DPS stations I'm currently not hearing since they went digital. I'm in the process of putting up a 40-foot tower with a DPDProductions OmniX antenna so hopefully before too long I'll be able to hear those stations again.

I'm sure you already know this but FWPD, Arlington, and Grand Prairie PD are all encrypted now. Johnson County has encrypted all of their law enforcement traffic, with the exception of that DPS TGID, on their two sites. But thankfully the majority of the traffic is still in the clear. There are some other encrypted agencies or TGIDs but I'm glad we can still often hear most of the agencies. The FWRRS is growing and Ellis County recently got on it and before too long DPD will be on it as a different layer.

There's not a whole lot of users that are not trunked nowadays in the metroplex. Occasionally you can find some but as far as analog goes, the DPD channels for the most part are unencrypted analog for now and Dallas County SO is a mix of P25 digital and analog. Other counties that are both analog and digital, and I don't mean all of them use both, are Wise County, Palo pinto County, and Hill County. There is some encryption on some of those counties but they are still not TRS users just yet.

They do a roll call once a month on the Law IO Call TGID. There are some users on it that are not on the FWRRS at least yet. If you can catch one of those when they have it you can hear all of the agencies that have the capability to come over and use the interoperability channels. There's a good number of users and hopefully any future agencies will still be ones we can monitor.

I hope this helps a little. And if you move into the area, welcome to North Central Texas :)

Brian
COMMSCAN
[

Scottm467

Welcome to the Fort Worth area. As for DPS on the FWRRS, they are on the Johnson County simulcast site. It's really just a repeat of the Mineral Wells DPS traffic. There is also a TGID on the Parker County VHF TRS that is easier to listen to and carries the same traffic. These are so the local DPS units in those counties that might be having any issues hitting the VHF DPS frequencies can use them. One thing I've noticed is I don't seem to hear units on the site / TGID in Johnson County. I just hear the dispatch side of things. But to be fair, I haven't really listened to that TGID much in the last year or so. And I'm not constantly monitoring Parker County either but that DPS TGID on their system seems to be a lot more busy and I do often hear units as well.

At the end of last summer, the TWRD... Or was it TRWD... I can't remember right now, was still using the Azle PD old VHF frequencies. Azle abandoned those frequencies when they moved to the FWRRS. I had a great surveillance frequency for those game wardens that was a simplex frequency. I heard them all the time going back and forth between the courthouse and jail in Lake Worth as well as them doing surveillance on illegal hunters and other operations for a number of years. I believe that frequency was 153.845 but I would have to double check. The only bad thing is that I have not heard any traffic on that frequency in the last 3 years or so. I don't know if they just abandoned it or what but I always kept that one scanning because it was interesting to me to hear night time surveillances at 2:00 a.m. on people illegally hunting, fishing, and doing other things usually around Eagle Mountain Lake. Like I mentioned, it was a simplex use on the frequency so there was no repeater I ever heard used.

Every public safety user is far as law enforcement and fire, with the exception of the city of Hurst, is on the FWRRS in Tarrant County. There is one other FD, Rendon FD, that is still on a VHF frequency. I'm 90% sure Rendon is in Tarrant County but I would need to double check that again too and make sure they're not in Johnson County.

The VHF frequency you mentioned and the NTTA DPS traffic on the TRS you mentioned is all North Texas Toll Road Authority related. Other than traffic stops and wrecks and similar things, I never really hear the NTTA DPS guys doing any other stuff. I have found a few interesting TGIDs on that system in past years but they seem to either be patched in or maybe just not ever used except for very rarely. Sometimes you will hear some of the FWRRS interoperability TGIDs also on that system. You'll hear them on both systems at the same time. I think those get patched like that, at least in the past, so that some of the agencies, which used to include DPS, can all be heard and communicate with each other. I don't think that is really needed anymore at this point and whenever there is something interesting like a task force that is patrolling an area with the help of agencies like DPS, nowadays I just hear them using a few of the regular FWRRS Law Interop channels. I haven't heard them doing this since last year but periodically they will have a small task force with a few agencies helping in an area that might be having a lot of crime. They will sometimes have three or four of the interoperability channels they use kind of like one for dispatch, one for more tactical stuff, one for running license plates and DL checks, etc.

On the west side of Fort Worth, and possibly even all of Tarrant County, the DPS units seem to usually talk to Mineral Wells. They do talk to other areas but I hear them talking to Mineral Wells the most. I think 159.2125 and 159.210 are where I hear the majority of DPS traffic. But they still also use the 155.46 and other digital P25 frequencies for the area. And I do know that 155.46 is also used over in the Dallas side of the metroplex. But strangely, I don't hear them as often as I used to when they were analog. A buddy of mine that has his antenna up a lot higher is usually able to hear them with no trouble as well as other DPS stations I'm currently not hearing since they went digital. I'm in the process of putting up a 40-foot tower with a DPDProductions OmniX antenna so hopefully before too long I'll be able to hear those stations again.

I'm sure you already know this but FWPD, Arlington, and Grand Prairie PD are all encrypted now. Johnson County has encrypted all of their law enforcement traffic, with the exception of that DPS TGID, on their two sites. But thankfully the majority of the traffic is still in the clear. There are some other encrypted agencies or TGIDs but I'm glad we can still often hear most of the agencies. The FWRRS is growing and Ellis County recently got on it and before too long DPD will be on it as a different layer.

There's not a whole lot of users that are not trunked nowadays in the metroplex. Occasionally you can find some but as far as analog goes, the DPD channels for the most part are unencrypted analog for now and Dallas County SO is a mix of P25 digital and analog. Other counties that are both analog and digital, and I don't mean all of them use both, are Wise County, Palo pinto County, and Hill County. There is some encryption on some of those counties but they are still not TRS users just yet.

They do a roll call once a month on the Law IO Call TGID. There are some users on it that are not on the FWRRS at least yet. If you can catch one of those when they have it you can hear all of the agencies that have the capability to come over and use the interoperability channels. There's a good number of users and hopefully any future agencies will still be ones we can monitor.

I hope this helps a little. And if you move into the area, welcome to North Central Texas :)

Brian
COMMSCAN
This is the reason radio systems are encrypted. Thanks

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
This is the reason radio systems are encrypted. Thanks
I don't understand, what exactly is the reason why radio systems are encrypted? There was lot of very public, very legal information in that post you quoted... I guess I missed the top-secret information part. I'm having a bit of trouble connecting the dots between system admins, department heads, and city officials justifying the need to spend taxpayer dollars, the long and tedious process of reprogramming radios, and re-educating users on encryption and a few individuals talking on an online forum about the scanner information in DFW.

Anyway, Thanks to everyone that has provided this very useful information! I will get this programmed into my scanners. I'm sure I'll be back for some more questions very soon.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello again everyone,
I have been monitoring the FWRRS for a little bit now. I have been monitoring the Dallas Simulcast site and am receiving it well. I see 5 channels listed in the database under Interoperability Talkgroups (DFW ISSI 1-5). I also saw talkgroup 40000 listed in the wiki>Unknown talkgroups listed for this site. I haven't picked up a single transmission from this site. Does anyone have any further information on this site?
I also wanted to ask about GMRS in this area. I did a search online through some of the popular databases but not much was shown. I have my scanner setup and have had it on record but haven't picked up anything on the GMRS repeaters. I would think this area has quite a bit of GMRS activity. My scanner setup is not ideal at the moment either (South Tarrant County, bottom floor apartment with stock antenna) so it really doesn't shock me in the least bit that I'm not picking up certain things.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
The Dallas site(s) are still being built and set up. My understanding is that public works stuff will be transitioned to the system first, followed by public safety. Estimated time is this year, into next.

Can't say I've looked or noticed any General Mobile Radio Service stuff recently.

Hello again everyone,
I have been monitoring the FWRRS for a little bit now. I have been monitoring the Dallas Simulcast site and am receiving it well. I see 5 channels listed in the database under Interoperability Talkgroups (DFW ISSI 1-5). I also saw talkgroup 40000 listed in the wiki>Unknown talkgroups listed for this site. I haven't picked up a single transmission from this site. Does anyone have any further information on this site?
I also wanted to ask about GMRS in this area. I did a search online through some of the popular databases but not much was shown. I have my scanner setup and have had it on record but haven't picked up anything on the GMRS repeaters. I would think this area has quite a bit of GMRS activity. My scanner setup is not ideal at the moment either (South Tarrant County, bottom floor apartment with stock antenna) so it really doesn't shock me in the least bit that I'm not picking up certain things.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
The Dallas site(s) are still being built and set up. My understanding is that public works stuff will be transitioned to the system first, followed by public safety. Estimated time is this year, into next.

Can't say I've looked or noticed any General Mobile Radio Service stuff recently.
Is he talking about GMRS in that sense or the GMRS Phase 2 system?

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
I also wanted to ask about GMRS in this area.

It used to be really active in the area, repeater wise. Dallas County REACT has two repeaters up, 600 and 675 both the with 141.3 tone. Those are the two locally with the best coverage from what I've been able to find. Throw your call out and see if anyone is monitoring, I listen as much as I can.

dmh77yy

I haven't really used ADS-B exchange or anything other than FlightAware as I have a feeder for them. I will definitely be setting it up once I can get to a suitable location.

If I remember correctly, I think I read a post a while back saying that "DPS 101" is just the callsign DPS uses for its helicopters. Is that the callsign for the particular helicopter in DFW? I'm showing N844TX as the helicopter based out of mesquite. Doing some research on the Texas DPS site, it says they operate 15 helicopters. I would think there is more callsigns that just that one.

I'm probably going to go down the rabit hole on this next one. I'm seeing Dallas PD "Air One" tail numbers to be N1510L & N1511L and Fort Worth PD "Air 1" tail numbers to be N206FW, N911FW, & N505FW. Are all of these helicopters active or are some used as a reserve? Do either department have more than one up at a time? Do either one of these have a calling channel or do they just happen to pop up on a given channel that is in use for whatever incident. Are the helicopters for FWPD ever heard on PD channels due to encryption? Also, Other than Tower and Helicopter Air2Air (123.025mhz) are there any other frequencies you will hear these helicopters on?

I pretty much have all of the CareFlite, Air Evac, and Teddy Bear Transport tail numbers (Used for ADS-B). I'm having trouble obtaining all of PHI's tail numbers. I'm seeing that PHI 2, 3, 8, & 10 are in the area but only have tail numbers N465P, N433P, N330PH. Does anyone happen to know the other tail number?

I also did some research on news helicopters. I found the "Media" section under Dallas County and found those frequencies to be interesting. I'm not sure how old those are but it seems like at one point the DFW area had 4 news helicopters:
- KDFW (Fox 4) "Sky 4" using 166.2500 for Eng/Sky 4 & 450.3125 PL131.8 for New desk/Sky 4.
- KXAS (NBC 5) "Chopper 5" using 450.1125 for Chopper 5/News Reporter & 450.1875 PL114.8 for News desk/Chopper 5.
- WFAA (ABC 8) "Telacopter 8" using 161.7000 PL146.2 for ENG/Telecopter 8 & 450.0875 PL156.7 for News desk/Telecopter 8.
- KTVT (CBS 11) "Chopper 11" using 450.5125 PL103.5 for News desk/Chopper 11.
During my research, I found where Sky Helicopters that they are doing ENG with Fox4, ABC8, and CBS 11 using a R66 with the tail number N611HD. I also found where NBC5 is using a R44 with tail number N801TV called "Texas Sky Ranger". Does anyone know if these frequencies are correct or active?

Are there any other Law Enforcement, Fire, Medical, or News helicopters in this area that I havent found yet?

Also, in the media section in the Dallas County page, I noticed a section for Traffic Reports, what are these used for?

I see where Dallas PD is also using the Dallas City Local Government Motorola type II trunking system. is this system patched with the UHF conventional channels listed in the database? Is this trunking system in place until DPD moves over to the FWRRS? Is there any other information about them switching over?

I still hear Dallas PD using the analog trunk TG's for their undercover units doing stings or surveillance, but sometimes its weeks without hearing anything and then they will be very active for a few days. Hit or miss on these. Its usually in the downtown area or southeast at night. They also used this extensively during the riots of 2020 after someone started jamming the UHF channel they were using. Most common on this system are police academy and dispatch training stuff.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I didn’t even think about the confusion. Thanks for pointing that out. I’m asking about General Mobile Radio Service.
Usually, the confusion on 'which' GMRS is being discussed is when someone from well out of the area drops into a thread on the GMRS trunked system, to say that GMRS cannot be trunked,

I presumed you were talking about the General Mobile Radio Service since, from your location & antenna situation in southern Tarrant County, I'd be mildly surprised if you could even get a whiff of the trunked system used by Garland, Mesquite, & a few others.

billpritjr

In my observations, Texas DPS activity in Denton County is almost entirely run thru the Denton County trunking system, on Denton County Patrol-1.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
It used to be really active in the area, repeater wise. Dallas County REACT has two repeaters up, 600 and 675 both the with 141.3 tone. Those are the two locally with the best coverage from what I've been able to find. Throw your call out and see if anyone is monitoring, I listen as much as I can.
Thanks for the info. Does Dallas County REACT allow these repeaters to be used by GMRS licensees when they are not using them for REACT business? I know areas don't like their repeaters being used by anyone other than REACT.

As far as getting on the radio... I've got everything ready to install but realized my NMO drill bit is in storage lol. :rolleyes:

nd5y

Thanks for the info. Does Dallas County REACT allow these repeaters to be used by GMRS licensees when they are not using them for REACT business? I know areas don't like their repeaters being used by anyone other than REACT.
There used to be a lot of ham-type chit chat on them a long time ago. I never heard any REACT business except for nets. I don't know if that's still true today.

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
Does Dallas County REACT allow these repeaters to be used by GMRS licensees when they are not using them for REACT business?
Yes they're open for anyone licensed, we've moved our event comms to another system however we still occasionally use 675 as a backup if needed.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread since it still pretrained to DFW. I currently am living in Euless (only for a few months) and have been mostly scanning the Northeast Tarrant site and it's talkgroups. I am also able to pick up Fort Worth layer 2 quite well but only get one bar on my BCDx36HP/BCD996P2 scanners. My question is about talkgroup 7325 "FWPD All Call" on the Fort Worth CityWide - Layer 1 site. The database indicates it is NOT encrypted but I haven't heard anything on this talkgroup. Is this talkgroup used very often? I wasn't sure if it is in fact encrypted or I am just not getting a good enough signal from my location to monitor this talkgroup.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread since it still pretrained to DFW. I currently am living in Euless (only for a few months) and have been mostly scanning the Northeast Tarrant site and it's talkgroups. I am also able to pick up Fort Worth layer 2 quite well but only get one bar on my BCDx36HP/BCD996P2 scanners. My question is about talkgroup 7325 "FWPD All Call" on the Fort Worth CityWide - Layer 1 site. The database indicates it is NOT encrypted but I haven't heard anything on this talkgroup. Is this talkgroup used very often? I wasn't sure if it is in fact encrypted or I am just not getting a good enough signal from my location to monitor this talkgroup.
I'm way too far away (in Dallas) to be able to hear Layer 1 nor Layer 2. There's a handful of other talkgroups assigned to FWPD that are not flagged as encrypted, but, again, I can't verify how many, if any, of them are active. You might program a few more of them, just to see if you get anything. Other than taking one of the scanners farther into Ft. Worth to see if a better signal makes any difference. Maybe one of our resident Fort Worth/Tarrant County members will see your query & chime in.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Funny....because so much of FW is E, I put that All Call TG in the BCD996P2 at work this last weekend and for 8 hours on Sat and Sun, nothing! I'm guessing little or no use.
Related sorta...I have had Weatherford CityWide in my scanner for the 3 years I have lived out here...after the storms on Thursday was the FIRST time I have heard them use it...they switched comms related to the storm damage to CityWide.

Status
Not open for further replies.