• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Diamond X-50 Antenna Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoff5093

For the past month I've been trying to decide how to mount my antenna, up until today I have been using the radio while the antenna was in the tree at the second floor level, but today I finally got the ladder out from under the snow and went up on the roof, but didn't have many choices.

I found an old satellite mount that was still secured to the roof, so I did some make-shift mounting and it seems to work great! The holes were in the perfect location for the U-Bolt's.

Sorry for the crappy pictures though, but I only brought my camera phone up on the roof.

PIC-00082.jpg

PIC-00102.jpg

PIC-000342.jpg

PIC-00123.jpg

PIC-00142.jpg

geoff5093

Thanks! I hope to get a mast at some point for added elevation, but this will be more then enough for the mean time. If I left it where it was in the tree, I'm sure the signal would have dropped once the spring leaves came in.

KD4KNR

Not a bad idea!!!!!

Only thing I would suggest is attach a short section of mast to mount then the X50...

Steve
KD4KNR

n8emr

Get a short mast and get that up a little higher 5ft or so. Also DRESS those cables. The coax will be ripped to shreds laying on top of an shingles like that.

geoff5093

n8emr said:
Get a short mast and get that up a little higher 5ft or so. Also DRESS those cables. The coax will be ripped to shreds laying on top of an shingles like that.
Thats my plan, and I'm using 100ft of RG-58, I'm planning on buying 50ft of RG-8 or RG-213 to replace it with, so I'm not that worried about the cable setup now.

n8emr

geoff5093 said:
Thats my plan, and I'm using 100ft of RG-58, I'm planning on buying 50ft of RG-8 or RG-213 to replace it with, so I'm not that worried about the cable setup now.

I would go with LMR400, about the same as 213 in cost and has better specs.

af5rn

N1BHH said:
A buddy of mine put his X-50 up using plain old hose long hose clamps to the vent pipe on the back of his house. Sure works nice, and your looks good, too.
One thing you have to be careful about though, is that most modern homes have PVC vent pipes covered by a thin metallic cover. They look like metal pipe, but they aren't. And a tall and/or heavy antenna will tear off of there eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.