Diamond x50 vs X50na ?

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Like many connectors, there are different ways of attaching the coaxial cable. I haven't had any more trouble with N's over the so called 'UHF' connectors. Frankly, I find it easier. I always get connectors (or at least try) with a soldered center pin and crimp outer shield. Of course you will need the correct crimp tool(s).
The only stickler point is getting the correct measurement for the 'cuts' for the center and jacket' but that applies to any connector. ;)

I've been dealing with Shireen Inc. based out of Germantown, MD 301-838-4380 (this isn't eBay I'm talking about);

(and no, I'm NOT connected to them in any way, I just like their products!)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Like many connectors, there are different ways of attaching the coaxial cable. I haven't had any more trouble with N's over the so called 'UHF' connectors. Frankly, I find it easier. I always get connectors (or at least try) with a soldered center pin and crimp outer shield. Of course you will need the correct crimp tool(s).
The only stickler point is getting the correct measurement for the 'cuts' for the center and jacket' but that applies to any connector. ;)

I've been dealing with Shireen Inc. based out of Germantown, MD 301-838-4380 (this isn't eBay I'm talking about);

(and no, I'm NOT connected to them in any way, I just like their products!)

Yep, I use a lot of RF Industries stuff at work.

But for some of the older hams, they really like UHF connectors since they can use their 60 year old 300 watt Weller solder gun to install UHF connectors on the RG-8 cable.
Decent crimp tools are not expensive, and with a bit of practice, it's not hard to install a good N connector. I usually encourage any ham or other hobbyists that is serious to get a basic crimp tool set so they can install the right connectors to match their equipment.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The "A" I would assume is Amateur.
North American band plan. As the NA band plans are different from the Japanese band plans, some of the Japanese antenna manufacturers, such as Diamond, use the "A" suffix to indicate that the antenna is tuned for the NA band plan.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
But for some of the older hams, they really like UHF connectors since they can use their 60 year old 300 watt Weller solder gun to install UHF connectors on the RG-8 cable.
LMAOROTF. That makes my day. (y) :ROFLMAO: Do they still sell those things??

some of the Japanese antenna manufacturers, such as Diamond, use the "A" suffix to indicate that the antenna is tuned for the NA band plan.
I'm glad you brought that up. I now see the 70CM plan in Europe is lower than NA. At least one Chinese antenna manufacture is selling 440/70CM antennas that are designed for Europe here is the US. :mad:

KC5ULU

Well I have a yaesue ftm 500 usuing as base this Antenna will be 30/40 feet high... I'm just confused about the connector is all the female vs thr uhf or what. I don't think nornal coax will screw into the female n connector
The type N connector is a better connector and more waterproof , it has a gasket in it unlike the more common pl259 connector and if your using uhf like the 450mhz band You might want to use a better connector and , as for rg8x well its lossy at the higher frequencies Like 8bd per 100' and if you get better coax either install yourself a n connector or order it that way and a pl259 for your radio so your better choice is type n for the antenna .

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
All one has to do is look at the business end of both connectors.
259's are fine below VHF, not much above. I don't get the die hards that still want to use it especially above 2 meters.