Diff between ID Scan and ID Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrumpf

Premium Subscriber
My scanner (996xt) can switch between ID SCAN and ID SEARCH. Cant seem to find an explanation for those that I actually understand. Can someone help me understand these two options? Thanks in advance.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
In ID Search it will stop on any ID. In ID Scan it will only stop on IDs you have programmed.

Say you only want to hear fire. You program in the fire IDs and scan in ID scan. If you are in ID search you will hear everything on that system, fire, police, public works, etc.

Voyager

More accurately:

ID SEARCH will stop on any ID you don't have locked out or disabled.

ID SCAN will only stop on any ID you have programmed that you don't have locked out or disabled.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
More accurately:

ID SEARCH will stop on any ID you don't have locked out or disabled.

ID SCAN will only stop on any ID you have programmed that you don't have locked out or disabled.

I was trying to explain it as basically as possible to be more easily understood. I don't see where your explanation is more accurate. Obviously it is not going to stop if it is locked out.

It is best explained in the Easier to read manual:

IDs are not really scanned. The scanner checks for any activity in the trunking system and if any ID becomes active, the scanner will display it in 'ID Search' mode. In 'ID Scan' mode, the scanner will only display IDs programmed in to groups.

Voyager

I was doing the same thing - trying to explain it as completely as possible, yet accurately. I don't see where you mentioned any lockout or disabling.

But, that's OK. I get annoyed by most of your posts being links to Mark's manuals with no help for the OP, so we both do things to annoy each other. :D

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Some new people are unaware of the manual. This gives them the opportunity and self confidence to learn more on their own, and more about their scanner. I don't know why you feel you need to answer every thread on this site.

To "jrumpf" feel free to private message me anytime if you have questions. Being in the same county I can help you more than someone from wherever.

wtp

well here it is

the easier to read manual.
Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual
and don't forget to really mix it up
i use a combination of lock outs and saved groups
i keep the two dispatch channels as quick save and lock out everything i never want to hear like property appraiser and water along with others and in search i get to hear any new groups. like the radio guys that were playing around this week.

fmalloy

One thing I found is if you have TGIDs programmed with alphanumeric info for the display, if you are in ID Search and it stops on a TGID you already have programmed it doesn't display the alphanumeric data you programmed; it just displays generic TGID numbers.

ampulman

One thing I found is if you have TGIDs programmed with alphanumeric info for the display, if you are in ID Search and it stops on a TGID you already have programmed it doesn't display the alphanumeric data you programmed; it just displays generic TGID numbers.

I had to read your post several times, but not so with my 396T.

Amp

jrumpf

Premium Subscriber

I thought I read it only does that if you have audio programmed for 'ALL', I could be crazy tho.

Voyager

Mine displays the channel tag even when on ID SEARCH as long as you are on the same System (not a duplicate system with no tags programmed).

Status
Not open for further replies.