• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Difference between an ATAC 3000 and 9600 comparator

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanuel32804

Hi all,

Does anyone know the functional difference between these two comparators? I've looked at their spec sheets and they both seem to be almost identical, aside from the 9600 being a few years newer and having a slightly lower delay. I also noticed that the 3000 is programmed with RSS whereas the 9600 is via CSS. Is that right? I'm trying to get my hands on a comparator to use with some quantar receiving units and I want to make sure the one I get will work.

Thanks,
E

RFI-EMI-GUY

I believe there is distinct firmware differences, yet the hardware is same. IE: You can downgrade firmware.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The 3000 can perform analog voting, whereas the 9600 is digital only. Keep in mind, the 3000 still needs V.24 connectivity for analog voting.

emanuel32804

Ah that's good to know. I was wondering about that. Can they be done simultaneously as a mixed system?

emanuel32804

Ah it looks like it gets complicated when trying to send mixed over v.24 over IP because of the guard tones. I might just stick with digital only.

Do either of you know how or if multiple channels works in an astro system like this? I read in the ATAC specs that the comparator supports something like 30 sites with 15 channels across them (numbers could be wrong from memory). What does that mean in a practical sense? Surely one repeater cannot TX on multiple frequencies simultaneously, right?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Ah it looks like it gets complicated when trying to send mixed over v.24 over IP because of the guard tones. I might just stick with digital only.

Do either of you know how or if multiple channels works in an astro system like this? I read in the ATAC specs that the comparator supports something like 30 sites with 15 channels across them (numbers could be wrong from memory). What does that mean in a practical sense? Surely one repeater cannot TX on multiple frequencies simultaneously, right?

I think the ATAC 3K can do 16 base station sites with 32, 48 and 64 base station port expansions. 9600 supports 15 base station sites.. Those are base stations for ONE Channel. a chassis supports a single channel - a single frequency. This can be confusing because Digitac spoke of base station ports as being "channels" when in fact the chassis supported receivers only on one frequency (* unless your recklessly fiddling with multi frequency multisite) .

* You normally can have a single TX/RX site and many voted RX sites on same frequency pair. Or simulcast with many TX/RX sites on same frequency pair. Or you can multi cast with TX/RX sites where the TX frequencies are different and same RX frequency throughout. Or you can have different TX/RX pairs at many sites, though the receive site diversity improvement will be lost.

emanuel32804

Ah alright, that's much more in line with what I was expecting. I wonder why the documentation even mentioned multiple channels.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Ah alright, that's much more in line with what I was expecting. I wonder why the documentation even mentioned multiple channels.
In reality a conventional system has no channel limitation other than rack space in the equipment room . The comparator for each channel are independent of each other. Trunking systems on the other hand, are limited in number of channel grant updates the control channel can broadcast within a period of time. A lot of Motorola's advertising brochures are meant to wow folks writing big checks and are barely helpful for outside engineers who are not privy to system planners, secret sauce and make it work option$.

emanuel32804

Oh jeez, don't get me turned on to a trunking system... I've already dumped enough money into this :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, typical moto being money-grubbing with their marketing for the channel count... I have a couple channels that are direct only just because I don't have the hardware to repeat multiple channels, and I guess it's staying that way for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.