Digital Mode Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROL

Just my opinion, but I think that if the Digital Mode upgrade prices were a bit less we all would be more likely to add these modes. When NXDN was introduced I added it without reservation to my BCD436HP for $30, I do not need DMR or Provoice right now in my local area, but when I travel I could use it. But at $60 each I can't justify the expense. If Uniden would maybe do a trial run of discounting these upgrades, they may be surprised how many upgrades they may sell.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Just my opinion, but I think that if the Digital Mode upgrade prices were a bit less we all would be more likely to add these modes. When NXDN was introduced I added it without reservation to my BCD436HP for $30, I do not need DMR or Provoice right now in my local area, but when I travel I could use it. But at $60 each I can't justify the expense. If Uniden would maybe do a trial run of discounting these upgrades, they may be surprised how many upgrades they may sell.
Don't hold your breath that that's:) going to happen

KA0KDW

Only reason NXDN was sold at $30 was because Uniden’s software hadn’t been updated to support NXDN. Once it was updated the price went up to $50 for the upgrade.

I believe provoice and DMR were $30 to begin with until the software was updated to support those two modes.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Unless you know, positively, that an area you might travel to or through has a ProVoice system, and has no intention of upgrading anytime in the near future, I would not purchase the ProVoice upgrade. That format is no longer actively supported and most original users of ProVoice have either converted their system to a different type (most commonly P25 Phase II), or have plans to do so.

Uniden's cost for the upgrades includes both the royalty they pay to the owner of the IP involved, plus some amount to recoup the firmware development costs to enable the scanners to handle these formats, as well as some margin of profit.

togo54

Premium Subscriber
It's the same reason folks pay 100+ dollars or more each month to watch HBO, Showtime and Cinemax each month....Greed!!!! The f#@king American way. America would be more broke than it is without it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
It's the same reason folks pay 100+ dollars or more each month to watch HBO, Showtime and Cinemax each month....Greed!!!! The f#@king American way. America would be more broke than it is without it.
I wouldn't call it "greed" but would call it "profit" motive" Everyone is "in business" to make a profit, including every working individual. Individuals won't work if it costs them more money to work than not to work.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The price Uniden charges is partly determined by the market for that product. If no one ever bought these upgrades at the street prices, Uniden would have to reevaluate that pricing. Or, if profit margins were already slim, be consigned to sell fewer upgrades.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If I'm already paying $500-$700 for a scanner and want/need additional modes/upgrades, I'm not going to worry about another $60/ea. If people "need" them they'll buy them. Uniden knows that.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
Greed!!!! The f#@king American way.
I can’t wait for you the develop a scanner with all these cool features and sell it for no profit. Let me know when you start your noprofit scanner company so I can buy one cheap. After all I am entitled to have you do all the work and invest all the money while I enjoy your product for nearly nothing. Entitlement!!!! F#@king communist way.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Well let's see, if you want to monitor a DMR Cap+ system (very common dmr system) you have an alternative: get a Moto XPR 6550 or 7550 with the correct Moto CPS, along with the programming cable and impress battery & charger. If you buy the radio used you might be looking at $650 total if you find good deals on ebay. Btw, if you need to monitor a Moto connect+ system you gotta buy another option board, another several hundred $.

Now, if you bought a UHF XPR (most common band for commercial) but then stumble upon a VHF DMR system, you need to buy another XPR radio in the vhf band.

After buying all the above items, you might travel into another area and find a Hytera XPT trunked DMR system - you'll need to buy a lot more $$ stuff from another company to monitor that system.

Also, the commercial radios require you to have the color codes and talkgroups pre-programmed, there is no TG or Color code search, and no LCN finder.

So for me, the Uniden upgrades are a pretty damn good bargain...

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
You think that's bad you should check out the healthcare industry. They charged one of my relatives $40/pill for aspirin! Another time they tried to bill for an xray that was never taken. When confronted they refused to remove the charge. I then simply told them to produce the xray that they took. They couldn't and removed the charges. Insurance is another one..

But digress..

togo54

Premium Subscriber
I can’t wait for you the develop a scanner with all these cool features and sell it for no profit. Let me know when you start your noprofit scanner company so I can buy one cheap. After all I am entitled to have you do all the work and invest all the money while I enjoy your product for nearly nothing. Entitlement!!!! F#@king communist way.
The used Whistler WS-1080 that I paid $200 for handles DMR just fine without having to pay someone to unlock it to do so.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The used Whistler WS-1080 that I paid $200 for handles DMR just fine without having to pay someone to unlock it to do so.
Your Whistler does not have the ability to properly trunk track DMR trunked systems because Whistler did not pay licensing fees. It can not follow the data from the control channel to properly trunk track DMR or NXDN trunked systems. Uniden scanners can, hence the upgrade fees.

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
Why should the cost be a factor?? I feel if your scanner is programmed to receive these frequencies, then YA , use all the features it comes with. I remember the old days when everything was analog and the tones for the police were in effect, but now it's so easy to program for your area .

GROL

-
Exactly... and it's far better that way, rather than Uniden adding their licensing costs for those upgrades to every scanner sold and not giving buyers a choice.
These paid upgrades are similar to a sales/marketing terminology I never heard of until I worked for Xerox several years ago. Value Add! You can have the basic product, but for a value add cost you can have this. Frequently the technology was already in the multifunction device, but you had to pay extra to unlock it. It's another way to make more after twisting the customer's arm to buy more. Sort of like extended warranties.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
These paid upgrades are similar to a sales/marketing terminology I never heard of until I worked for Xerox several years ago. Value Add! You can have the basic product, but for a value add cost you can have this. Frequently the technology was already in the multifunction device, but you had to pay extra to unlock it. It's another way to make more after twisting the customer's arm to buy more. Sort of like extended warranties.
They are also very common for radio options in the LMR industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.