Digital Mode Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just my opinion, but I think that if the Digital Mode upgrade prices were a bit less we all would be more likely to add these modes. When NXDN was introduced I added it without reservation to my BCD436HP for $30, I do not need DMR or Provoice right now in my local area, but when I travel I could use it. But at $60 each I can't justify the expense. If Uniden would maybe do a trial run of discounting these upgrades, they may be surprised how many upgrades they may sell.

I think the price is reasonable considering Uniden had to pay for the license to use them and make them available. I'd rather pay for the option if I need it rather than to have to pay for it up front in the price of the scanner if I don't need it. I like having choices!

GROL

Try that argument with your cable company to get them to unlock HBO on your set top box. Good luck!
I don't pay for HBO because it is the same garbage time after time. The cost is not worth what you get. Same as DMR upgrade. P25 is the mainstay of public service. If DMR were the mainstay then it might be worth the cost, but then if it were not included as P25 is then sales of the base scanners would likely suffer due to total cost. The cost of DMR is set by the consumer. If it were not it would be less. If all think $60 is close to Uniden cost then they have been had. Stop paying for the upgrades and see them go on sale.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I don't pay for HBO because it is the same garbage time after time. The cost is not worth what you get. Same as DMR upgrade. P25 is the mainstay of public service. If DMR were the mainstay then it might be worth the cost, but then if it were not included as P25 is then sales of the base scanners would likely suffer due to total cost. The cost of DMR is set by the consumer. If it were not it would be less. If all think $60 is close to Uniden cost then they have been had. Stop paying for the upgrades and see them go on sale.
You still haven't said why you think $40 is a profitable selling price.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's like anything else. There was a time air conditioning didn't come with a new car. If you wanted it you had to pay a lot extra. Today air condition in a vehicle is considered standard equipment that comes on almost all vehicles and they just build it into the total price. So the guy living in Alaska who might not need it, may not even want it still has to pay a lot for it in every new vehicle he buys.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If all think $60 is close to Uniden cost then they have been had.
-
You are going to have to support that statement with some actual facts (not opinions or guesses) if you think anyone is gullible enough to believe your continued trolling and rhetoric on this topic. And again, it's not up to us to provide any proof to you about Uniden's pricing... you're the one that's claiming that you know how much it should cost, and telling us we've been "had".

We've heard all of your opinions and guesses, time for some facts on your part.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
The cost of DMR is set by the consumer. If it were not it would be less. If all think $60 is close to Uniden cost then they have been had. Stop paying for the upgrades and see them go on sale.
Let’s take a vote and set the price. I say $5.00. No one buy an upgrade until Uniden sets the price to $5.00. While we are at it stop buying those expensive SDS scanners until Uniden sells them for $50.00. After all we the consumers set the price.

GROL

-
You are going to have to support that statement with some actual facts (not opinions or guesses) if you think anyone is gullible enough to believe your continued trolling and rhetoric on this topic. And again, it's not up to us to provide any proof to you about Uniden's pricing... you're the one that's claiming that you know how much it should cost, and telling us we've been "had".

We've heard all of your opinions and guesses, time for some facts on your part.
No one here has yet to provide any evidence to support the pricing of the Upgrades, There has only been opinion. No evidence regarding actual cost and any profit margin. As far as we all know, it could be $5 cost with a margin of $55 or anything between that and a cost of $55 and a profit margin of $5. No one has of yet been able to support any opinions that $60 is the best price point (Price Point: Understanding the Difference Between Price). Considering the cost of DMR on other radios, it seems to provide a substantial profit to Uniden, but until we can know what the actual cost is, even your opinion is not yet validated.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
No one here has yet to provide any evidence to support the pricing of the Upgrades, There has only been opinion. No evidence regarding actual cost and any profit margin. As far as we all know, it could be $5 cost with a margin of $55 or anything between that and a cost of $55 and a profit margin of $5.
-
No one here including yourself above all others has any evidence, so there's no point in your continuing to troll about it... we are waiting for proof from you to back up your claim that we have all been "had" by paying $60 for DMR.

If all think $60 is close to Uniden cost then they have been had.

Last edited:

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
No one has of yet been able to support any opinions that $60 is the best price point (Price Point: Understanding the Difference Between Price).
I am sure Uniden marketing strategist are happy you explained to them price point. I am sure no one in Uniden ever heard of this before. Not while getting their business degree or during the years of experience they had in pricing goods. They been in business since 1966. I am sure that is taken into account when they price their items. You should actually apply for a job at Uniden so you can school all the executives on how to properly price their products.
Let’s agree on this you believe $40.00 is a good price without any evidence, Uniden believes 60.00 is good price, that has evidence, we just can’t see it. You don’t want to pay 60.00 for the upgrade. That is your choice. I don’t want to pay $650.00 for scanner that is my choice.
I am moving on from this thread, you can get the last word in on I am being had.

Ubbe

TYT pay license fees for DMR and they do not have any trunked DMR radios that I know of. Uniden pays fees but Whistler do not under their own brand name. TYT sell their DMR radio for $100 and their license fee for each radio has to be included in that cost. A couple of years ago I looked in a lot of documents and came to the conclusion that a license for a trunked DMR radio cannot be more than $15.

Uniden have costs to add firmware code to handle the enabling of the key that are entered and the web site functions to handle the key purchase and the logistic to register and report the number of DMR licenses that are enabled for each time period and also Uniden are a company that has to make a profit from everything they do. If they just had the DMR enabled in all their scanners and not needed to add all the extra to handle the logistics for user enabling they could just add that $15, or less, to each scanners cost.

List of companies paying DMR license fees

/Ubbe

GROL

-
No one here including yourself above all others has any evidence, so there's no point in your continuing to troll about it... we are waiting for proof from you to back up your claim that we have all been "had" by paying $60 for DMR.

Troll? I have a legitimate question, Would Uniden maybe sell more upgrades if they lowered the price. $40 was my suggestion, and at no time did I say I was sure it was the best price point. I would certainly buy the upgrade if it were a bit cheaper. All I hear almost everyone saying is that you know better than I that $60 is the best price point, but no one including myself as I have already said, has any clue what the cost is for Uniden, or what the profit margin is. You can no more be sure than I can, that $60 is the best price to sell the most upgrades (price point). And businesses are not always certain they are selling at the right price. Frequently they are not. I seriously doubt any real marketing study went into the price of the upgrades. That would be lot of expense for such a minimal product. All that we can be sure is that Uniden set a price, and they have sold units.

GROL

-

So we believe $60 is close to the Uniden cost? How do we support that? If it were, what would be the incentive for Uniden to even bother with doing it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So we believe $60 is close to the Uniden cost? How do we support that? If it were, what would be the incentive for Uniden to even bother with doing it.
-
As expected, you offer no facts or proof whatsoever for your ridiculous statement. Anyway, thanks for proving to us that you're just trolling.

I seem to have a few refills left on my prescription from the good "Doctor", So.......

k4.jpg

GROL

[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, I did not say that anyone paying $60 for the DMR upgrade has been had. I said "IF ALL THINK $60 IS CLOSE TO UNIDEN COST then they have been had." The cost to Uniden of course, not the cost to the end consumer. I was stating that I sencerly doubt the cost to Uniden is close to $60, and that I believe if anyone thinks so, then they have accepted a false premise. For whatever reason some are offended that my opinion is the price is too high. There is no direct competition to these upgrades. If enough people shell out $60 for the DMR upgrade the price will never drop.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm, I did not say that anyone paying $60 for the DMR upgrade has been had. I said "IF ALL THINK $60 IS CLOSE TO UNIDEN COST then they have been had." The cost to Uniden of course, not the cost to the end consumer. I was stating that I sencerly doubt the cost to Uniden is close to $60, and that I believe if anyone thinks so, then they have accepted a false premise. For whatever reason some are offended that my opinion is the price is too high. There is no direct competition to these upgrades. If enough people shell out $60 for the DMR upgrade the price will never drop.
[/QUOTE]
I've read your bio in the QRZ.com website - Thank you for your military service. Since you've been involved with military comms most of your tenure, I wonder if you feel the same way with what the Gvt has to pay for our military equipment. I think what these companies charge for their equipment is outrageous let alone what the Gvt has paid for toilet seats. I have bought at ham flea markets surplus HF thru UHF satcom antennas for pennies on the dollar - I can't justify the cost to our Gvt of what these companies charge for this equipment - although that is what Capitalism is all about - making profit for their products. I listen to the Barta busses here in Berks Co PA who use a DMR system; I would have gladly paid a $100 for the DMR upgrade considering the amount of time and fuel I saved by listening to their system for road closures and traffic tie-ups for when I travel. And their are many DMR systems to listen to here in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.