Digital Scanner Suggestion for Newbie???

ViragoXV

I have a friend who looking for an entry level scanner which doesn’t break the bank. My assumptions are it must be digital and hand held. The scanner can’t be as costly as my Uniden BCD-436HP. Tons of bells and whistle are not needed. My friend’s main goal is to monitor local emergency organizations. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Mike

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
It would be better if your "friend" would join and ask him/herself. That way we can be sure exactly what they want and what their budget is.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
My friend’s main goal is to monitor local emergency organizations. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Where is your friend located? Would rather not make a blind recommendation without this info. Also "Digital" is a blanket term which encompasses several different voice modes: P25 (Phase-I or Phase-II), DMR/MotoTRBO, NXDN/IDAS and (less commonly so) ProVoice. So yeah, specific info is needed in order to make a recommendation. Welcome to the RR forums, not all "digital" scanners can bring in all digital systems / modes...

Last edited:

ViragoXV

Her zip code is 19610, and I only suggested needing a “digital” scanner because of my own ignorance, yet seeking being able to hear the majority of emergency traffic.
Thanks in advance for your insights.
Mike

ViragoXV

It would be better if your "friend" would join and ask him/herself. That way we can be sure exactly what they want and what their budget is.
As mentioned below, I’d hope to enable her to hear the majority of basic emergency traffic. The budget is about $300 +/-.
Thanks! Mike

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Berks county public safety is on a p25 phase 2 simulcast system, with law enforcement totally encrypted.

So anything lesser than a Uniden SDS or a Unication G pager will more than likely deliver limited success with the simulcast. So double the budget and throw another c-note and you’ll be in the right neighborhood.

bearcatrp

How is your 436 handling the simulcast in your area? Am assuming she is close to you. The 325P2 would be the least expensive that handles phase II. But as posted above, only the SDS series handles simulcast the best. My 325P2 does pretty good with simulcast but its patchy at times. It does eat batteries but there are work arounds such as invest in rechargeable batteries or like me, I use a external USB battery. Keep an eye in the for sale section as sometimes you get lucky from someone dumping there radio cheap. Good luck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned below, I’d hope to enable her to hear the majority of basic emergency traffic. The budget is about $300 +/-.
Thanks! Mike
As jt has already noted,what with law enforcement, for all the agencies in the county, being encrypted, and everything that is not encrypted is P25 Phase II on simulcast sites, a $300 budget is not going to stretch far enough to be useful. A P25 Phase II capable scanner is going to be over your budget target, even if your friend is extremely lucky enough to be at a location where simulcast is not a problem. Other than a lucky find on a previously owned scanner, a Phase II capable scanner is out of reach, even if their location mitigates simulcast issues/

You might want to look at the feeds available for that area on Broadcastify feeds and the calls nodes. You might find that most of what is wanted can be monitored in that manner. The disadvantage for feeds, though, is that you are limited to whatever a feed provider has included on the channel. Also, unlike having your own scanner, you cannot choose to hold on a specific channel for an active incident. Depending on how the provider has configured the agencies on the feed, what really interests your friend is likely to be interspersed with radio traffic not of interest. The cost advantage of pursuing the options for feeds and calls is that these can be monitored on an inexpensive tablet, or cell phone. The cell phone could be an older model, no longer used as a phone, but still capable of internet access with a browser to access one or more feeds. There are a number of tablets, including Amazon's Fire Tablet line, that can be found that are $100 or less.