Disneyworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Hello --

I will be in Dinseyworld soon and was looking for information on thier TRS. I see the Reedy Creek Improvement System, however I see that only about a dozen talkgroups are listed. I seem to recall that once upon a time I saw a system that was specific to inside Disneyworld and the transportation system and such.

Hope some local experts cen enlighten me on the WDW monitoring action.

Thanks!

Ed

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
I'm really not local, but I was down there this past Easter.

Park ops, security, transportation, and such are on a Nextel system which can't be monitored. So pretty much the only things that can be monitored are RCID, Orange County, Orlando, the airport, and maybe a few low-powered freqs for shows, etc.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
That's correct. Disney sold off their 800 and 900 MHz systems and now use Nextel. No old control channels active anywhere. Some folks have mentioned some limited VHF/UHF conventional stuff, but I don't have the frequencies.

dsnymj

Premium Subscriber
wa2zdy said:
I was there in April and saw firefighters and EMS guys and they all had the same radios as everyone else.

It's possible that they carry a NEXTEL for coordination with the resort security folks, but they dispatch and run their tactical comms on the Motorola Analog/P25 system listed here:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1413

Next time you're there, call them up and arrange for a tour of the "LEGO" station/dispatch center... it's located at the back side of Epcot, across the street from the Caribbean Beach Resort.

pinetree

I just returned from Disney World last week 900 has no control ch. in use. There is some activty in the 400 range I listened to 461.300 during several parades. It is being used for parade control and preparation.
I talked to any DW workers that I could and everyone to the person NO one likes the Nextel system. It doesnt work well and the voice clarity is bad.
One said the during Katrina the nextel system went down and they had to use the older system.

Universal Orlando has a nice trunked system. I worked there for a while. It's good to know when rides are are down etc... However, you may not understand alot of what's being said because they use radio code just as many police depts. do, but it's different. I mean, there are similarities, but since theme parks have their own issues, they have their own 10 and 11 codes.

Well if you hear that a ride is 11-1, 11-2, or 11-3, it means it is down. 1is technical, 2 is accidental or safety related, and 3 is weather related. There's alot of 11 codes. There's little in the way of wordy code. UO, unlike Disney shys away from such terms as 'code brown' or 'protein spill'. Most code is purely numerical. However, the usage of such code is sporadic. Some attractions attendants are good about it,while others just use plain english, for which they can get repremanded.

Also of note, there are some channels not on the trunked system. These include parade channels (simplex), and also a few singe attraction only channels, also simplex, such as JAWS ship-shore radio.

There are numerous home right behind Universal Orlando, I'm sure they've got many full-time listeners. (not to mention the media. which, I assume was the reason WDW switched to Nextel.)

pinetree

Some of the comments that were made to me by those I talked to when I was there a month ago. The main reason for the switch to next to he## was the cost factor. The units cost less and many of the 800 and 900 radios were being broken by drop etc.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Anyone scanning at Disneyworld should not forget to monitor the Orange County Sheriff talkgroups for Sectors 5 and 6 (Dispatch 3344). Now that Disneyworld is covered by the relatively new Sector 6 of the Sheriff's Dept there is more presence and activity on the Disney property. I usually go for a week or two a year and was surprised by the number of traffic stops, something you never used to see on Disney roads. There was even a radar trap on the main road to the Magic Kingdom. The radio system apparently does have some coverage issues, as I heard deputies complaining of "no service" in some of the Disney Buildings.

Mark S

MattLarson

mshumeyk said:
Anyone scanning at Disneyworld should not forget to monitor the Orange County Sheriff talkgroups for Sectors 5 and 6 (Dispatch 3344). Now that Disneyworld is covered by the relatively new Sector 6 of the Sheriff's Dept there is more presence and activity on the Disney property. I usually go for a week or two a year and was surprised by the number of traffic stops, something you never used to see on Disney roads. There was even a radar trap on the main road to the Magic Kingdom. The radio system apparently does have some coverage issues, as I heard deputies complaining of "no service" in some of the Disney Buildings.

Mark S

WDW recently entered into a contract with the OCSO to handle traffic enforcement on Disney property.

Matt

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
mshumeyk said:
The radio system apparently does have some coverage issues, as I heard deputies complaining of "no service" in some of the Disney Buildings. Mark S

It seems that the closest site is about 8 miles NE of Disney. That may cause a problem, especially in the Magic Kingdom and all the tunnels.

Does anyone know if they (OCSO) are working on a site for the Disney area if they haven't done so yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.