Display screen blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

davynavy

Premium Subscriber
When I got up this morning and went into my office, I noticed that the display screen on the scanner was blank. It is still working, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
One guy reported a blank screen a few years back and for him it was the ribbon cable that connects display to main board. I had similar problem with my Radio Shack Pro 2055.....that one was an easy fix, I just carefully removed the ribbon cable off main board and re inserted it. Had to do this twice with that radio. But as far as yours, U might wanna wait till others chime in on here. I am not familiar with the BCD996T radio. Could be something else.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Could be a loose cable - or display gone bad.

Read here:
Blank Display?
When you look closely at those ribbon cables its hard to imagine them getting loose! They are tucked in pretty good. My pro 2055 was an old radio I got off Ebay cheep so I didnt worry about doing a home repair on it, and luckily it worked. But I'd be afraid to mess with one of my newer radios though.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
check the contrast setting by pushing the volume button a few times and see if the display comes back on.

RBMTS

I had that happen once on my 996T (which is still on the desk beside me). I performed a master reset and it was back to normal. I don't know what happened and never happened again (knocking on the wood of my desk). Thought I would mention it before you start taking the covers apart. I hope it is just as simple for you.

Scanner Reset To initialize the scanner's memory, turn off the scanner. Then press 2, 9, and Hold while turning it on. The scanner will give you the option 'Restore Preprogram List? "Yes"=E/No="."', if you say 'Yes', the scanner reloads the preprogrammed systems.

Important! This deletes all preprogrammed data.

davynavy

Premium Subscriber
I had that happen once on my 996T (which is still on the desk beside me). I performed a master reset and it was back to normal. I don't know what happened and never happened again (knocking on the wood of my desk). Thought I would mention it before you start taking the covers apart. I hope it is just as simple for you.

How do you do the master reset?

tvengr

Well Known Member
check the contrast setting by pushing the volume button a few times and see if the display comes back on.
Pressing the volume knob changes the brightness and color. Adjust Contrast is in the menu under Settings. I run mine at 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.