BCT15X: Blank Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well, came in to the shack this morning to find the display on one of my 15X scanners is blank. The backlight is still on but nothing on the display. I can connect it to ARC-XT Pro and use virtual control to see what the display should be showing but I get nothing on the scanner display itself.

Has anyone had a similar issue on this series (or similar, like the 996) scanners? Just wondering if there might be an easy fix. I wouldn't think a connection would have come loose since it is sitting stationary in the shack but who knows. It still receives fine, I just can't see what the display says (so setting the volume is a little more difficult, etc.). I guess I could always get an RH96 but if there is an easy (or easier, cheaper) fix that would be the preference.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

safetyobc

I haven't heard of this being common. I would go here: Uniden BCT15X Scanner and on the right side of the page "Ask a Question" button and ask the help desk and see if there is something they recommend. May require sending the unit to them?

Voyager

Most of the times I've heard of this happening, it was a loose cable (inside).

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

Update on this. I checked things out internally and also checked the ribbon cable between the display and the board (per a PM from a helpful RR user) but still have nothing on the display.

I plan to post on the Uniden site linked to by safetyobc sometime tomorrow (I'm too tired to mess with it now).

But if anyone else comes along that has an idea or if one of you who already commented has another idea, do share.

The help thus far is greatly appreciated!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
As per unden repair site $69.95 plus tax plus $10.00 shipping
Repair

Thanks for the link; I didn't have time earlier to search for it. When I began going through the steps to see what it would tell me to do it actually says the 15X is $79.95 to repair + $10 for shipping (+ the shipping cost for me to send it) so that would end up being about $100 when all is said and done. For 50% more (roughly) I can get a new one.

Also found a seller selling new front panels (buttons, display, everything) for $35. I'm thinking that sounds better than $100...

Obviously there are risks involved in those two options but...I'm considering what I'll do next. Scanner still works (I'm using ARC-XT and the VC feature to see the display (or what it would show) when I need to).

Thanks, again, for posting the link to the repair site...debating what to do.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to post a follow-up to this. Because it was cheaper, I went ahead and ordered the front panel from the seller on eBay. It arrived this morning and I changed it out in about 20 minutes. This fixed the issue.

It still had the plastic on the screen and the seller also included the black outer casing for the scanner, though it wasn't pictured. All in all I'm happy. Not sure why the other one failed but now I know it was the panel and not something on the main board.

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice or PM'd me in response to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.