Pro-668: DMR Firmware - Answer from Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
After reading all the cross-talk( A.K.A. finger pointing,double talk,b.s,ect.), the moral of the story is this: In the future, buy a Whistler Brand scanner,not a radio shack re-badged!!! That way you'll get Whistler's support for the scanner, not a bunch of finger pointing-DOUBLE-TALK!!!!! David Richman.

If the firmware is same and the scanner is re branded wouldn't one be able to just apply the update for example one is a whistler 2000sux and other is a radio shack pro 2000sux just re badged to a whistler 2000sux? If not wow a whammy they pulled on the rs owners. You'd think firmware would be kept so the same exact model could be brought up regardless rs or whistler rebadged housing. To me it is like a girlfriend turning into a wife. You inherit her problems and life once you set it to stone and tie a knot. When whistler bought rs you'd think they would apply that to a purchase of existing problems that also brought the good.

dkf435

Really do not care how this story gets twisted, Radio Shack and Whistler is making money off the continued sale of radios that they are now not being supported in any way shape or form.

The little 30day warranty thing is true and they are using smoke and mirrors to make it so it looks like a one year(the defective 668 radios will probably go to an auction site for dumping as the PRO 18 radios were done) so people will keep on buying radios from Radio Shack that are at a DEAD END of their life cycle.

Radio Shack is telling tales to everybody to keep selling an equal priced radio as the previous Whistler models with no future value and are now obsolete because they are not having a simple software/firmware update when the radios were being advertised as being able to be updated and is "just like the Whistler model but had Radio Shack name on it "

I average around 2-3 new receivers a year and guess who is not getting business this year, was looking at the 1095 for mobile use. Probably be another HP2 or 436/536 but would of liked the remote head.

David

NC1

Again, I ask for the SOURCE of your information. I don't own 668's anymore, so I have no horse in the race either.

Merely making an ASSUMPTION based upon your self-induced "vast knowledge" without FACTS is not any more accurate than someone saying the sky is green based on what they "feel" that day.

You actually DON'T know the answer, and do a great disservice by spouting like you DO

My source is all the posts of people talking with RS, and people talking with Whistler, and what each company has said so far. I urge you to read the posts yourself. And it would be logical to think that if there were a clause in the contract, it would have been brought up as a valid fact. Given the obvious absence of such a claim, there is none.

Furthermore, RS said they talked with Whistler but they were unresponsive. If the contract had preventive measures, there would be no negotiation on behalf of RS. This is not just a guess, all one needs to do is look at what has transpired so far. If a rock comes crashing through a window in your house, and you look out and see someone running away, you can safely assume who did it without having to see the actual act, it tells it's own story and no proof is needed.

It is not just what has been said that has to be taken into account, you also have to look at what is missing. There is no evidence of a preventive clause in the contract, so we can safely conclude that there is none.

It's still Whistlers baby as far as the consumer is concerned, or at least that is the impression I get anyway.

D

darunimal

Other facts include Radio Shack scanners get firmware updates later then the Whistler do and is subject to approval from Radio Shack, it ensures that no updated firmwares cause problem, by way of Whistler owners, they are the beta testers for new firmwares.

I suspect, so Radio Shack does not have to flush out a Scanner support team, if there are no "negatives", when the firmware seems stable, then it will be furthered to the powers that be, at Radio Shack.

I wouldn't expect a firmware release until after NXDN is released. Mind you, it shouldn't take the 28-29months, that it's taken another to release an Android App or the 12 months to get a working firmware to make the WIFI dongle work, for a control software that was non-existent for an additional 11 months

So stay level headed and be patient, both parties still have a better track record than our the other manufacturer who failed miserably, while they spent valued resources printing Manuals for thousands of scanners for 102 curmudgeons owners who "would never buy a scanner without a paper manual", instead of sourcing quality parts, with proper QA done to them.

Last edited:

NC1

The firmware / software person DonStarr has stated the contract issue. Those are the facts now get over it.

I believe he stated there was a clause in a previous agreement with a different product, and surmised that this COULD be the case here as well. I could be wrong about that because I can't find it now.

I did not see a firm contract issue, but even if there were, then like I said before both parties could amend it to benefit the consumer. So there really is nothing in the path to upgrading the firmware. Contracts are changed every day when both parties agree to do it. One party does not want to.

Even if it is in there, the contract clause argument is nothing more than defensive posturing.
How much somebody paid for a product (or didn't pay) is deflection of the issue.

Whether it is a boy or a girl, it's still their baby :)

D

darunimal

So when are you and everybody else going to stay level headed and show patience!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Since no one here knows the real answer and the last few pages are just repeating the same thing over and over I think it's time to close this.

When and if this does happen we can have a new thread discussing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.