Do Your Homework Before Selecting A Scanner

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
For the newbie, posting an innocent question can lead to:

A long lecture about simulcast distortion and how this newbie might have to contend with it (or not).
At least one 6 paragraph post about how encryption (and RR) is killing the hobby
Four more posts ranting about encryption
One or two useful answers to the newbie about their question, location, and helpful links for antennas, etc.
Three more posts about how the SDS is a terrible scanner (from the same 3 who post that in each thread)
Two posts refuting the above, not defending the SDS, but pointing out Whistlers don't handle simulcast well
A post to gently remind us all to remain on topic
A political rant, something along the line of "some government bs"
Two posts about the Constitution and Free Speech
~ THREAD CLOSED ~

KB2GOM

"Then you'd need to get people to read it. "

True enough.

Well, how about the scanner manufacturers and all the folks who sell scanners offer it as a free download, perhaps a PDF file? Make it as accessible as possible at no cost. I bet it would reduce customer service and returns issues.

This is not a theoretical construct. I've seen it happen with other technology-based equipment.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin

Kd8lzl

I was lucky enough to come by this forum a few years ago when I decided that I wanted a scanner. I'm a ham and have some knowledge of dstar and dmr. I didn't have much knowledge about p25 and that was what I have in my area. Hats off to everyone here that puts this together! It was a big help to me!

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
@dwh367 - No good deed goes unpunished.

You cannot be too nice to some people (in person though), because they have a tendency to drop your name to others and say, "He's a good guy, he'll help you out for free." If I offer to help someone, I'm offering to help THAT SOMEONE, not an endless parade of people I don't know and have never met. I think it's rude of people we've done favors for to volunteer our time and effort, like we have all the time in the world to drop everything and cater to their every whim.

Yes, it can be very irritating at times too. Back in the 80's I was the Computer Marketing Manager of a Radio Shack Computer Center, but even after I left the company I still got calls from people that wanted support. Well, 10 years after leaving the company I got a call from some dude I had never met... at 11:00pm at night, got me out of bed, who wanted me to fix a problem with the second-hand TRS-80 Model III he picked up at a garage sale. Really? Not only that, he wanted me to drive out to his home over 20 miles away for a "friendly service call and tutoring session". I was pissed off. So I told him, "Sure, that will be $35.00 per hour, two hour minimum plus mileage." He had the unmitigated gall to get indignant and say, "Why can't you do it for free? It's not worth that much money". I told him, "First, I don't know who the F you are, let alone why you are calling me at 11:00 at night, so you better not give me your address, because if I do show, you'll not like it". I then slammed the phone down and blocked his phone number.

I still end up helping selected older people with things as time allows, but I always tell them that this is for them, please don't pass my name around. Older folks are nice, they will honor that request. Sorry for venting.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You cannot be too nice to some people (in person though), because they have a tendency to drop your name to others and say, "He's a good guy, he'll help you out for free." If I offer to help someone, I'm offering to help THAT SOMEONE, not an endless parade of people I don't know and have never met. I think it's rude of people we've done favors for to volunteer our time and effort, like we have all the time in the world to drop everything and cater to their every whim.

Yes, it can be very irritating at times too. Back in the 80's I was the Computer Marketing Manager of a Radio Shack Computer Center, but even after I left the company I still got calls from people that wanted support. Well, 10 years after leaving the company I got a call from some dude I had never met... at 11:00pm at night, got me out of bed, who wanted me to fix a problem with the second-hand TRS-80 Model III he picked up at a garage sale. Really? Not only that, he wanted me to drive out to his home over 20 miles away for a "friendly service call and tutoring session". I was pissed off. So I told him, "Sure, that will be $35.00 per hour, two hour minimum plus mileage." He had the unmitigated gall to get indignant and say, "Why can't you do it for free? It's not worth that much money". I told him, "First, I don't know who the F you are, let alone why you are calling me at 11:00 at night, so you better not give me your address, because if I do show, you'll not like it". I then slammed the phone down and blocked his phone number.

I still end up helping selected older people with things as time allows, but I always tell them that this is for them, please don't pass my name around. Older folks are nice, they will honor that request. Sorry for venting.

How did this “dude” get your phone number?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
At that point they went off the rails about how they had just spent over $400 on that scanner and that they had gotten ripped off and on and on.
Considering he just spent what he considered to be a large sum of money on a door stop, he was probably more angry with himself than he was with you. People tend to lash out more when they realize they made a big mistake.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
You cannot be too nice to some people (in person though), because they have a tendency to drop your name to others and say, "He's a good guy, he'll help you out for free."

One of the members of our group, became a wizard with repairing Astro Sabers. He was able to acquire a lot of parts while Motorola was still actively selling that model. He became the go to person, created a "stock" codeplug which we all used, and did most of the work for free (except parts), because he enjoyed it. Now people call him demanding programming for APX radios, and he has decided he longer does free work. People get MAD at him for not giving them a free codeplug/programming/tuning. It's really amazing, how entitled some feel.

N4DJC

Many of us remember when it was a much simpler hobby. I got out of it years ago and just re-entered after retirement. It was eye opening for sure.

It requires far more technical knowhow, with a more than rudimentary knowledge of computers. Add in complex systems and settings....it's not for everyone.

After I got my SDS200 issues fixed with a replacement (thanks to Joe Bearcat), I've been perfectly happy.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Long story short I was trying to help someone with a problem they had with their scanner (on another platform). They had just received it brand new and couldn't get it to work correctly. After some research I narrowed the problem down to simulcast distortion.

I mentioned to them that the Uniden SDS series would have been a better choice for their particular area. At that point they went off the rails about how they had just spent over $400 on that scanner and that they had gotten ripped off and on and on.

I sent them a link on things to to try in order to get their current scanner to work with their simulcast system. I also sent them a link about SDRs. They wouldn't have any of it. I finally ended having to block them just to get them to shut up.

The moral of the story is if you're new to scanners do some research before you buy your new scanner. If there's something you don't understand then ask questions. Ultimately it's up to you to figure out which scanner will work best for your needs. It's not Uniden's or Whistler's problem if you got the wrong one. You ordered it and they sent it. Their job is done at that point.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

Thanks for at least trying to help!

I had a person who balked at the cost of scanning, then got the wrong one (BC-125AT that won't work) and almost ended up the same way, but luckily was reasonable and got put on the correct path.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I will say, there are a few users here who always post helpful, insightful information, focused to the question at hand in response to newbie questions.

So many questions end with the first post as we slide off topic into esoteric discussions to show the vast knowledge and impressive experience we have, that usually is so way over a new enthusiasts head, they give up and never ask a question again.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
So many questions end with the first post as we slide off topic into esoteric discussions to show the vast knowledge and impressive experience we have, that usually is so way over a new enthusiasts head, they give up and never ask a question again.
So true! Some newbies have to wonder if they need a masters in electrical engineering just to own a scanner.

west-pac

We can stress buying the scanner that you need, versus buying a scanner based on looks, price, etc... but unfortunately most people don't come looking for advise -before- purchasing. They only come looking for help after becoming dissatisfied with their purchase.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Let me start off by saying as a newb to this, it can be very, very complicated. I jumped in whole hog without doing a ton of research because my wife loves listening to this stuff. It started with an app on my phone listening to the local PD. Bad on me honestly. Since I got my 996 a about 4 weeks ago I’ve read so much my brain hurts, but I like a challenge. This so called hobby, will now become an obsession to learn. All that said, most have been very helpful so far. I get it when guys have been around forever and just understand the complexity of it, and just reply. I’ve done it. Kinda like the big Ford site I’m a super mod on. I just ordered a SDS200 to replace the 996 based on my county. After that wall of text, I think this fun, and a very good challenge for me personally. I’ll retire in a year or so, and will have more time. I’m just tweaking my outside antenna set up and will get some new cables we I get the new unit. Will I need help, hell yeah. I would say the only thing that really confusing to me at this point, is some of the abbreviations you use. Only I get right for certain is TGID. Thanks, from the new guy.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Let me start off by saying as a newb to this, it can be very, very complicated. I jumped in whole hog without doing a ton of research because my wife loves listening to this stuff. It started with an app on my phone listening to the local PD. Bad on me honestly. Since I got my 996 a about 4 weeks ago I’ve read so much my brain hurts, but I like a challenge. This so called hobby, will now become an obsession to learn. All that said, most have been very helpful so far. I get it when guys have been around forever and just understand the complexity of it, and just reply. I’ve done it. Kinda like the big Ford site I’m a super mod on. I just ordered a SDS200 to replace the 996 based on my county. After that wall of text, I think this fun, and a very good challenge for me personally. I’ll retire in a year or so, and will have more time. I’m just tweaking my outside antenna set up and will get some new cables we I get the new unit. Will I need help, hell yeah. I would say the only thing that really confusing to me at this point, is some of the abbreviations you use. Only I get right for certain is TGID. Thanks, from the new guy.

This stuff is complicated. As a hobby, radio can range from very simple (like using an AM radio to listen to far off stations), to extremely complex (amateur radio). Add in that there are a few of us on this site that work in the industry.
Trying to gauge someones knowledge and provide the correct level of information, is extremely difficult, especially on a communications medium where we have to try and guess peoples emotions, sense of humor, demeanor, etc. It's easy to get things wrong.

Sounds like you have a great attitude about this sort of stuff, and are willing to learn. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good help here, but it is absolutely like trying to drink from a firehose if you don't pace yourself well.
People are usually trying to be as helpful as they can, and sometimes miss the mark.

As for the abbreviations, it's one of the big stumbling blocks. Learning to share information with others without using techno-babble and the abbreviations takes some skill.

Now you have me wondering about which Ford site?

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
This stuff is complicated. As a hobby, radio can range from very simple (like using an AM radio to listen to far off stations), to extremely complex (amateur radio). Add in that there are a few of us on this site that work in the industry.
Trying to gauge someones knowledge and provide the correct level of information, is extremely difficult, especially on a communications medium where we have to try and guess peoples emotions, sense of humor, demeanor, etc. It's easy to get things wrong.

Sounds like you have a great attitude about this sort of stuff, and are willing to learn. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good help here, but it is absolutely like trying to drink from a firehose if you don't pace yourself well.
People are usually trying to be as helpful as they can, and sometimes miss the mark.

As for the abbreviations, it's one of the big stumbling blocks. Learning to share information with others without using techno-babble and the abbreviations takes some skill.

Now you have me wondering about which Ford site?
Thanks for that. I know there’s stumbling blocks along the way.
SVTPERFORMANCE.COM