• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Doing GMRS right...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
Well, got my license done. I'd slap myself on the back but my arm is still in the bent position DUE TO GOVT FEES. j/k

Glad to have it, now I'll go after my tech paper.

Sporkupine

Let's not forget about these guys, who effectively expand the reach of the busy and short-staffed FCC:
Amateur Auxiliary

The AA is, in my experience, a group of petty, irritating busybodies with the same approximate civil authority as Ann Landers. In short, they don't matter.

Sorry, nothing personal...and your experience may differ. I'm just going on what I've seen over the years, which is that every piece of personal and anecdotal evidence that mentions these duffers also mentions them being gigantic wieners with no real case besides having an axe to grind.

I'd love to see some concrete evidence to the contrary, but so far I haven't...

Last edited:

Sporkupine

thanks spork! I was hesitant about saying the same thing! I guess you would call them saps?
Please excuse this post..I am incredibly drunk...but I've been through enough in life that I'm not afraid to call them as I see them...

The problem with AA is that they are full of the letter of the law but none of the spirit...

Call me starry-eyed, but I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt..

There is a difference...you must try to TEACH first, before you try to ENFORCE...

We were all new once. Nobody can become a good operator without good advice.

So many of the AA slips I've seen could be addressed with a simple 2 minute QSO...

I have no hesitation to get in someone's face (figuratively speaking)..right on the air...when they're being a LID...but you have to EDUCATE, and not just SCOLD.

Most people want to do the proper thing, if they only knew what the right thing was...instead they just get dressed-down with no advice to make them better...

There is so much potential in our hobby...you have to do what you can to mentor, rather than just excoriate.

I have found that I've never gone wrong in life assuming people are smart, but I have gone wrong a lot by assuming people are stupid.

I'm glad I'm not alone in trying to help...

Also, I need another drink. ,,,,,,,,,,:)

Last edited:

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
Much has happened since just last week. Took the Tech Exam on Thurs. and only missed one question. VE said to take the General Test right there; uh...yeah, and then I got humbled. I crammed the Tech exam in 2 nights. General may require more than that.

Based on recommendation by PTO, I've bought the Wouxun KG-UV2D with all the bells and whistles. Should be on the air this week. Also bought a mobile dual band antenna. What sucks is that there are no GMRS repeaters where I live. I coulda saved $85 and just get my tech, but, oh well, at least I have the paper for GMRS.

I'm really impressed with all of you Hams out there. Very supportive and the kind of people I prefer to have as company.

Status
Not open for further replies.