Dona Ana County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Will be interesting. One issue many are hesitant on is the terrain and the order factor is the large amount of volunteer entities and ems with low budgets. This has been the issue for many with fees and costs.

They do have a simulcast vhf system but they avoided new towers over time in the right areas relying on existing sites designed for 25khz and the older wide band. They addressed some of it with the voting system but unless they built or the state built in the problem areas I think theyd have same issues in those issue areas.

As for interference I believe clowns over time have been goofing off on a couple of county fire channels with dtmf tones endlessly.

Another issue is the interference south units get near chaparral and Anthony as Alamogordo parks, zoo, recreation use the same output. Being the very high long ridge site it has effect on interference for south daso in monitor or sometimes while they transmit and have the mic off hook interference comes through from Alamogordos output.

The only solution for portable being the main issue for coverage is using vehicle repeaters and removing all the 25 and 45 watt radios in units replacing those with 110watt bricks on the vhf system. Several have done this which has not be discovered by anyone in numerous counties where they held back off the 700 for now.

With their car to car pairs in csq you can see how this is a issue as they do utilize CC a lot between another with the interference issues.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Curious to see what this is ........
I am as well since they left out 2 of biggest vendors in state which makes me wonder who they will use and what decision came. Mobiles work fine power wise on the system but it's the portables they have issues with. Doesn't help their main sites are on old surveys done back before narrowbanding went to 25/30khz.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
By the looks it says the antennas will be changed or taller type installed on existing vhf by looks of it.

As for the shooting incident they shouldnt have had too many issues for their South repeater as its literally right there but I know this incident some of their deputies reposnded from North and didn't switch their portables to the chap channel as it's not simulcasted entire county. The only issues the south channel gets on the east end of gap is interference from a frequency Alamogorpd government uses. Most commonly happens when they use car to car that is csq and when the mobiles are off hook. You'd think a coordinator would realize the height of those on long ridge and the bleed over and ins it causes at this very high line of sight location which their South channel does get strong bleed over on east of gap.

Their sheriff has been very demanding of heavily use of encryption if they had ability which a lot of their field equipment cant do. I would imagine if she gets her way before elections she'll make that happen. Best thing for dona ana though would be elect someone else if you know their sheriff's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.