Double Homicide suspect from OC ex cop on run in Riverside. Just shot 2 PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkthing

I have never seen so many peoe on the scanner app. It's flooded

A very large listener turnout indeed, it's been like this all afternoon today.

The amount of craziness this guy has managed to cause is impressive. Sounds like something straight out of a movie. On Sunday he killed a basketball coach and her fiance, and today he ambushed not one, but two random marked police cars in two different cities. An LAPD one Corona at around 1:30am, and then 20 minutes later a Riverside unit that was on its way to a security detail for someone he had threatened. And in a bizarre case of mistaken identity, police shot two innocent newspaper delivery women who were driving a vehicle similar to Dorner's...and then in the same neighborhood they made the same mistake the same thing again with a black Honda pickup...WTF. His actual pickup truck was later found on fire in Bear Mountain.

In his manifesto, Dorner states that he is specifically targeting LEOs.
"The CHP issued a 'blue alert' statewide warning police officers to be on high alert for the alleged cop killer, and used the statewide network of electronic highway signs to urge anyone who spots the truck the suspect is thought to be driving to immediately call 911" (Source).
The LAPD has increased security details outside of its headquarters and police station. A few other people on his hit list have also been assigned security details of their own.

One news report claims that police are on such high alert that at the various roadblocks they've set up, traffic has actually been shooed away traffic at gunpoint. Dorner is supposedly an expert marksman and is heavily armed (one Barrett .50 cal rifle, a regular semi-auto rifle, handguns, and a freakin SA-7 Manpad rocket launcher). He has vowed that he will use every bit of his military intel training and is confident that he will escape.

Apparently in 2008 he was fired from the LAPD after reporting an incident in which fellow officer Teresa Evan used excessive force on a subdued suspect. I've read part of the super-long manifesto, it's pretty interesting and (though rambling), is clearly written.

Anyway, I found several pages with tons of pics about this unfolding event:

65+ pics > Photos: Former L.A. police officer wanted for three killings – - The Daily Breeze Media Center
12 pics > Manhunt in LA | Reuters.com

Last edited:

mke65

It's really weird because I heard the initial call out yesterday in San Diego calling out to all the officers on CHP's Channel indicating to be on the lookout for a former lapd officer wanted in the homicide of 2 people in Orange County. They went on to describe him etc....

I had a hunch this was going to grow into something much larger.

spectr17

What channel did the inital shots fired call go out on this morning? I tried digging in the archives buy no luck.

I heard control on EV-1 San Bernardino passing officer to be on the lookout for suspect after Riverside shooting around 1:45 am. I didn't hear the initial call, just the officer alert that was broadcast giving suspect vehicle info and DOT. SBSO sent units to assist Riverside SO in setting up a perimeter and CHP blocked off some off ramps. Corona blue & green channels got real busy and then pulled their feeds offline. At one time they said they had found the suspect's vehicle abandoned by Santa Ana River Regional Park and they later said it wasn't the right truck and the he was still in the truck, last seen EB on Magnolia from the shooting location. A lot of comms on Riverside City PD also.

I heard San Bernardino 8 and 40King light up around 9:45am this morning over a burning vehicle by Snow Summit. When I heard them trying to get the VIN, talk about a possible ambush and armored trucks on the way up 330 I figured it was the suspect.

2nd feed that has SB 8 mtn also. San Bernardino County System 6, 7, 8 - East Valley and SB Mtn Police, Fire, EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Last edited:

daneg

I heard control on EV-1 San Bernardino passing officer to be on the lookout for suspect after Riverside shooting around 1:45 am. I didn't hear the initial call, just the officer alert. Corona got real busy and then pulled their feeds offline.

I heard San Bernardino 8 and 40King light up around 9:45am this morning over a burning vehicle by Snow Summit. When I heard them trying to get the VIN and armored trucks on the way up 330 I figured it was the suspect.

2nd feed that has SB 8 mtn also. San Bernardino County System 6, 7, 8 - East Valley and SB Mtn Police, Fire, EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Thanks, I'll dig around in there.

spectr17

One note, that 8 Mtn feed is broadcasting tac channels, something the TOS for feed providers DOES NOT allow. Not sure who is providing that feed but they need to delete those tac channels that were giving officers's locations and tactics over the air. I sent a report to admin to get that done ASAP.

Last edited:

neoengel

One of the reasons for the large listener count - direct link to the audio feed was posted to a notable 'anonymous' forum, I'm surprised RR's bandwidth hasn't been drained yet.

Last edited:

spectr17

From feed provider TOS

Law Enforcement Feeds

Feed providers agree to ONLY broadcast routine dispatch and special events channels and talkgroups for law enforcement agencies.

I agree to NOT broadcast dedicated tactical, car-to-car, SWAT, narcotics, detectives or any other channels or talkgroups that are not routine dispatch or special events related.

There is a real obvious reason feed providers shouldn't be broadcasting tac channels.

karldotcom

I was listening for a couple hours today and you are right, they were giving the road numbers and lat longs of where the search dogs were, etc.

SCPD

QRT
What a stupid thing to say.

There will be investigations into each shooting. I don't see standards being lowered because of the Dorner situation. It would seem fear has a lot to do with these mistaken identity shootings, but it does not justify the results.

We also don't know the circumstances of these mistaken ID shootings. There might be reasons we are unaware of that caused the officers to start shooting. We need to stop speculating and passing judgement until all the facts are in.

dgower, these comments are not directed at you, but pertain to the comment you quoted and similar comments posted here.

spectr17

I was listening for a couple hours today and you are right, they were giving the road numbers and lat longs of where the search dogs were, etc.

Yes, 8 tac 1 was definitely going out live and I'm pretty sure I heard tac 2 also. Not cool to have the trackers and deputies exact location and movements going out like that. It sounds likes it's still going out live. :mad: I've got good buddies on that mtn. Please hit the report button on that feed to get them tac channels off. Thanks.

Confuzzled

They definitely need to be charged, but there's a history of whitewashing these types of things in SoCal.

spectr17

RR is promoting that 8-1 feed on their Facebook page. Great. Lets see what they value most, officer safety or money in their pocket.

spectr17

SBSD - HeadquartersThursday February 7th, 2013 :: 09:13 p.m. PST

Advisory UPDATE - The search for Christopher Dorner will continue throughout the night in the Big Bear Valley

DATE/TIME: Thursday, February 7, 2013
INCIDENT: Search for Murder Suspect
SUSPECT: Christopher Jordan Dorner, 33 years of age – 6’0”, 270 lbs, blk hair, brn eyes

SUMMARY: UPDATE – Thursday, February 7, 2013, at 9:00 p.m.,
An extensive search for the suspect, Christopher Dorner, will continue throughout the night. Law Enforcement personnel from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, Los Angeles Police Department, Riverside Police Department, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, FBI, Irvine Police Department, Orange County Sheriff’s Department, Pomona Police Department, US Forest Service and CalFire will continue to search the forest area and go door-to-door in an effort to find Dorner. If the weather changes drastically during the night and hampers the search, then multiple two man units will be patrolling the area.

Helicopters from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will continue to assist ground searchers by conducting aerial support.

Additional deputies are continuing to patrol the Big Bear Valley and citizens are urged to immediately call 911 if they see anything suspicious. Residents are advised to open their doors only to those they know, or uniformed law enforcement officers.

Schools in the Bear Valley Unified School District are expected to be in session Friday morning.

***Media note*** There will not be a Sheriff’s PIO at the command post throughout the night. If there is any change in the search for Christopher Dorner the media will be advised by the Sheriff’s Department Public Affairs Division and a PIO will respond to the command post if needed. Sheriff McMahon is expected to hold a news briefing Friday morning at 9:00 at the same location.

RadioDaze

RR is promoting that 8-1 feed on their Facebook page. Great. Lets see what they value most, officer safety or money in their pocket.
I think it's unlikely the suspect is in possession of a wireless device, which could enable him to be tracked. So he's probably not monitoring the feed. Indications are that he's familiar with the area, which means he's probably equipped to monitor the local LE directly. Typos in his manifesto notwithstanding, his intelligence should not be underestimated. He has a LOT of specialized training.

spectr17

I think it's unlikely the suspect is in possession of a wireless device, which could enable him to be tracked. So he's probably not monitoring the feed. Indications are that he's familiar with the area, which means he's probably equipped to monitor the local LE directly. Typos in his manifesto notwithstanding, his intelligence should not be underestimated. He has a LOT of specialized training.

That could be true but OTOH, Pablo the cocaine kingpin, was tracked by his cell. He just couldn't give up his nightly calls to his son. You can't assume anything. And say for example he grabs someone or breaks into a place and that person WAS listening to cell app, well there ya go. Let's keep the cards close to vest for the deputies sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.