DPS San Antonio Now P25 - 155.445

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does know if DPS in Harris County has gone P25? I only know of the TSA currently using digital in the Houston area.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Nope. Everything in Regions 1, 2, and 6 is still analog. That includes Dallas, Houston, Lufkin, Tyler, Bryan, Waco......actually everything east of I-35 and I-37.

225Texas

rattlerbb01 said:
Nope. Everything in Regions 1, 2, and 6 is still analog. That includes Dallas, Houston, Lufkin, Tyler, Bryan, Waco......actually everything east of I-35 and I-37.

DPS Houston will be going P25 very soon!!!! The current system seems very weak. Start saving, guys and gals, P25 is taking over, where trunk radio systems aren't.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm still hearing W'falls on 155.445 analog this morning. Anyone know when the change over starts for area 5?

Jim

mam1081

Feed Provider
otter9309 said:
Is DPS using a network ID code of 293?

Only the Decatur repeater so far that I know. The others seem to be standardized with 155.4675 and 155.4525 in the low 100's. Use the NAC decoder to find yours in your area.

Lindsay, what's the NAC in SA?

Wayne

Premium Subscriber
DPS SA is P25

There was some pretty good tropo ducting Sunday morning and I picked up San Antonio DPS (KKI 413) on 159.2100 digital as well. Traffic seemed to be primarily east side patrol along I-10.

Wayne

mam1081

Feed Provider
Many times the Guadalupe Co DPS units that get out east of Mile marker 622 get on 159.21 (or used to in analog). It seems they swap back and forth between there and the Guadalupe Co SO and sometimes Seguin PD channels.

rbarker

Robert
DPS Austin will be digital for a few hours and then go back to Analog. Last night they were hitting the 159.2175 mobile relay in New Braunfels digital but a few hours later they were back on 159.21 analog.

Cowthief

DPS and APCO25

Hello.

DPS has found that APCO25 has not nearly the range of analog, dispite what Motorola has told them.
The other trouble is that APCO25 or IMBE as it really is, will not go thru a lot of older repeaters that use phase modulation in place of true FM.
The other real issue is that although the military can do 136 MHz to 174 MHz, none of the AN/xRC radios can do IMBE.
For the actual files on IMBE, what P25 is based on, clock here.
http://www.dvsinc.com/products/products.htm
Note: you must be a qualified engineer working in the telecomm or communications industry to get the prototype boards.
Just about every ham on the planet has tried to get the eval' chips, so the company has gotten tight on policy as of late, but the web based stuff is still free.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Cowthief said:
Hello.

DPS has found that APCO25 has not nearly the range of analog, dispite what Motorola has told them.
The other trouble is that APCO25 or IMBE as it really is, will not go thru a lot of older repeaters that use phase modulation in place of true FM.
The other real issue is that although the military can do 136 MHz to 174 MHz, none of the AN/xRC radios can do IMBE.
For the actual files on IMBE, what P25 is based on, clock here.
http://www.dvsinc.com/products/products.htm
Note: you must be a qualified engineer working in the telecomm or communications industry to get the prototype boards.
Just about every ham on the planet has tried to get the eval' chips, so the company has gotten tight on policy as of late, but the web based stuff is still free.

That would be the first time I have heard that. First, here in Grimes County, a detective I know transmitted with a portable from US 290 in Waller and was repeated clear as day across the NEW repeater, since the old repeater of course wasn't designed for anything other that analog. The digital may not allow you to extend coverage by more than 5-10 miles, but it does make handheld coverage better. Our PD units are unrecognizably broken up on the Local SO repeater, which is primary dispatch for both agencies, from inside the police station. If they switch to digital, clear as day. This is just a single case study though.

Status
Not open for further replies.