Droid : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
DROID Google Android phone.............. get it.........you will never go back.

I just got one on an upgrade on my Verizon account. I can't even begin to describe it here but it's freakin amazing. It is ultra stable, solid and just works. I have had various windows mobile units and this thing is just amazing. Everything just works the way its supposed to. Nothing freezes, nothing stalls, nothing hesitates. The experience is similar to surfing the web on a desktop. Everything is just seamless and refined. The physical construction is immediately noticeable. If you want a small and light phone then this is not for you. But, if you want a pocket PC that is basically like shrinking a Panasonic Toughbook to the size of your checkbook then this is it. It's metal and solid. I got the snap over rubberized cover and slide in holder that makes it totally ruggedized and immune from any dings but is very handy and easy to grab when a call comes in. The battery seems to be very respectable due to all that it's capable of. I started with a full battery and turned on the slacker internet radio streaming utility at around 9 PM. It's now almost 2 AM and I am at onl 1/2 battery. The experience is comparable to using a desktop PC.

I am 100% sold on the Android OS. Screw Windows Mobile. I will never go back..

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I second that for being "old school". I'll stick with my moto job site phone! All those new smart phones they've come out with are all display and no durability. Give the droid a drop test on some concrete and see how well it fares!:lol:
N9ZAS

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Mancow,

I currently use an iPhone 3G but I'm considering a move to Droid for many reasons, including the irritating can't change the iPhone battery issue. If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for a data plan and are there any little hidden charges they're not enlightening me to regarding data usage. I'm not a big fan of VZW but I know from experience that like them or not they do seem to offer the best coverage of all carriers. I like the iPhone, but I have a feeling I'd love the Droid.

Thanks.

Astrak

Windows Mobile vs. Android: WinMo Is Better Than You Think You can't count out WinMo until you know everything it offers. I think the older WinMo phones were slow and laggy, I'm currently on an HTC touch Diamond and have never had to soft reset or had a problem with lag or freezing apps. Plus TouchFlo 3D is a great UI that mostly covers up the WinMo UI. I do like some of the HTC android phones with HTC Sense UI. Google looks promising, seeing that it is open source and you aren't tied down to the OS or phone manufacturer unlike Apple.

mancow

Database Admin
I previously had the touch pro which was just the diamond with no keypad. Its a nice phone and worked ok but it didn't seem too durable. I had to send the first back for a warranty return. The Droids physical construction seems /uch more robust. Its all metal and extremely solid. The biggest difference is the android OS. Its right on par with Apple and is just rock solid ans blazing fast. My touch pro would freeze at times or hang but this never does. Installation of apps is super fast and simple too. There are tons of them in the market store.

Mine is on the Verizon 3G network and was just an upgrade purchase from the htc touch pro. I was previously an Alltel customer until they were acquired.

Windows Mobile vs. Android: WinMo Is Better Than You Think You can't count out WinMo until you know everything it offers. I think the older WinMo phones were slow and laggy, I'm currently on an HTC touch Diamond and have never had to soft reset or had a problem with lag or freezing apps. Plus TouchFlo 3D is a great UI that mostly covers up the WinMo UI. I do like some of the HTC android phones with HTC Sense UI. Google looks promising, seeing that it is open source and you aren't tied down to the OS or phone manufacturer unlike Apple.

rckydenver

mancow, I heard that possible there will be an software update on the Droid approx on the 11th of Dec, fixing the camera focus and possible adding a flash player, let me know how the flash player works once it updated thanks.

I did look at this phone the other day and it if very nice gold and black and well belt, wish they would of cover that hole on top to keep water out. I was thinking from switching from Sprint to Verizon but i'll be looking at fifteen dollars more. With Sprint I have 450 mins with the Data plan for 69.99. With Verizon the 450 plan is 59.99 with additional 29.99 with Data and add another 2.99 for Voice Mail.

According to the Sprint forums there suppose to be new phone in the pipes, maybe the first quarter of 2010. And of course dont forget if 4G comes around expect an increase on that.

Thanks

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
I read that Flash is on its way. That's what it said when I was sent to a web page from a link when I tried to open a Flash based App. They mentioned something like early 2010. I hope they hurry up.

So far this is the happiest I have been with a phone. One of the other big gripes I had with the Touch was the lack of carry options. It seemed everything was either really flimsy or cumbersome. I got the optional holster / snap on cover for this one. The covers snap over the front and back and are kind of a rubbery flat matte plastic. It comes with a matching rotating clip holster made of the same stuff that allows it to be quickly removed to answer a call. Plus it keeps the display facing inward and away from potential damage. I'm sure I'll find faults over time but so far it's a winner.

Astrak

I previously had the touch pro which was just the diamond with no keypad. Its a nice phone and worked ok but it didn't seem too durable. I had to send the first back for a warranty return. The Droids physical construction seems /uch more robust. Its all metal and extremely solid. The biggest difference is the android OS. Its right on par with Apple and is just rock solid ans blazing fast. My touch pro would freeze at times or hang but this never does. Installation of apps is super fast and simple too. There are tons of them in the market store.

Mine is on the Verizon 3G network and was just an upgrade purchase from the htc touch pro. I was previously an Alltel customer until they were acquired.
I would agree with the construction of the Moto droid being much better, the Pro has a keyboard and diamond doesn't BTW. As soon as I got the phone I got rid of the Sprint ROM that came with the phone and the lag and bugs disappeared with the Mighty ROM that I installed, I don't know if VZW was able to be unlocked and a ROM flashed to it. Google looks like they have a promising OS with Android, hopefully the HTC HD2 will come to the US in both WinMo and Android versions. YouTube - HTC HD2 - A Closer Look

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you drop the droid,does the mother ship show up?:lol:
Sorry. I had to!
N9ZAS

Status
Not open for further replies.