DSDPlus DSD+ error -5

jtn0123

Premium Subscriber
I am setting up DSDplus and got everything to load besides reading my SDR, thanks to this post.
I was using two SDRs originally but to just get this to run, I am trying to set it up with just one SDR.
1R.bat gives me this:
1710141300775.png
I have played around with changing the link ID but no luck. What should I try to get it to connect?

When I run FMP24.exe this is what it shows.
1710141162119.png

Thanks

noamlivne

Your 1R.bat file has -i20001
Your FMP24.bat should have -o20001

Here is an example for the 1R.bat
DSDPlus -r1 -O NUL -i20001 -F6

And this is and example for the FMP24.bat
FMP24 -i1 -o20001 -P-1.0 -f868.4375 -g32.8 -rc

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
And for heaven's sake, turn down that gain. 49 gain is way too high. When focused on FMP24, turn the gain down by pressing "g" or turn it up by pressing "G". And as you turn it down, pay attention to how the noise floor drops and the rogue signals go away. There will be a sweet spot where the noise floor is much lower but a particular legitimate signal is as strong as it could be above the noise (SNR - signal to noise ratio). You want the best SNR. Right now your dongle is overloaded. I know, that's not your current problem, but once your current problem is fixed that will be your next problem.

Mike

jtn0123

Premium Subscriber
Hmm. I am still getting the same error, but I am also getting an error that I didn't have before. For whatever reason it says 'RTL SDR device #1 is in use' when I launch the FMP24.bat file. Then it closes out the cmd line.

I was using both batch files as recommended in post two.

I went ahead and installed a fresh version of DSD+Fast Lane and redid the batch files but the same SDR device #1 is in use error. I can run other SDR (SDR++) software and it can read the SDR as well.

1710171437585.png1710171297221.png

@mtindor Thanks for the advice definitely will have the gain turned down, especially once I can get past this setup error.

Justin

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Do you really have two SDR dongle plugged in? If so, I would reboot the machine and then try again. And I would really recommend running a non modified version of fmp24-cc.bat. Along with 1r.bat

Get one dongle working before you worry about two dongleS

You can trunk with one dongle anyway

jtn0123

Premium Subscriber
That is what makes no sense, I only have one SDR dongle plugged in. When I use other software, which I closed before this it shows just one SDR. I have fresh restarted the computer and launched the fmp24-cc.bat and it is detecting two sdrs.

I just tried this on my desktop computer and I got the same error, that was after I redownloaded all the files and didn't alter anything, and launched the fmp24-cc.bat stock, same error. I think it's something between my SDR dongle and DSD either the script or something else.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
After your reboot and try with just one dongle, if you still get the "dongle in use" message with only one dongle plugged in, you change i1 to i0 in the 1r.bat.

FMP24 2.86

Usage:
FMP24 [options] Normal operation
FMP24 -h Show help

Options:
-i0 Use first available RTL SDR device [-i0]
-i<num> Use RTL SDR device specified by <num> (1-255)

That’s tells fmp24 to use the first available dongle. It’s not a fix for the problem, if it’s seeing more than one dongle but it should get you up and running.

jtn0123

Premium Subscriber
After your reboot and try with just one dongle, if you still get the "dongle in use" message with only one dongle plugged in, you change i1 to i0 in the 1r.bat.

That’s tells fmp24 to use the first available dongle. It’s not a fix for the problem, if it’s seeing more than one dongle but it should get you up and running.
This did it!!

This is my 1R.bat:
DSDPlus -r1 -O NUL -i20001 -F6

This is my FMP24.bat
FMP24 -i0 -o20001 -P-1.0 -f868.4375 -g32.8 -rc

The original issue is fixed and the follow on one that showed up, and using the single sdr it established the FMPx link.

Thank you, now time to learn the rest of the software.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that if you only have one dongle plugged in to the PC, and dev manager and or FPM24 see more than that, then that may point to a driver problem which at some point should be fixed.

slicerwizard

That is what makes no sense, I only have one SDR dongle plugged in.
Looks like you're not installing the USB driver properly.

Problems like this are usually caused by installing the USB driver for the wrong device. Unplug all dongles, then use Device Manager to delete them. Plug in a dongle and then do the following:

Run Zadig.

Under Options,
make sure to select "List All Devices"

and unselect "Ignore Hubs or Composite Parents".

Then choose the dongle's Composite Parent and install the driver.

jtn0123

Premium Subscriber
own that gain. 49 gain is way too high. When focused o

Looks like you're not installing the USB driver properly.

Problems like this are usually caused by installing the USB driver for the wrong device. Unplug all dongles, then use Device Manager to delete them. Plug in a dongle and then do the following:

Run Zadig.

Under Options,
make sure to select "List All Devices"

and unselect "Ignore Hubs or Composite Parents".

Then choose the dongle's Composite Parent and install the driver.
For what it is worth I have fully fixed the obvious driver issue here. Zadig wasn't really working fully when it came to updating the driver for my SDR. I had to install one set of drivers using Windows via windows update and then use Zadig to overwrite the driver with its recommended version.

Going back to my original want, I have two SDRs actually working now, one with the control channel and the other with the voice channel. Pretty awesome stuff.

Thank you all for your help.