DSD FME

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
FWIW, I can confirm that on the P25 P1 system I monitor, the audio_work branch Whitelisting works as expected, as does Talkgroup Hold. I can't think of any improvements I'd like to see. I definitely appreciate all of the hard work that went into making this the best (IMHO) sdr program that I know of.
I'm glad to hear its been working so well, I'm tempted to just promote it to main and call it a day.

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I agree. It works perfectly on what I listen to, which is mainly P25 P1/P2 and DMR (BS/MS). We do have YSF here, but I rarely listen to it. It seems to me that audio_work is better with simulcast systems than the current Main branch, as it has very little simulcast distortion. Anyone else's mileage may vary. DSD-FME has vastly improved my listening experience.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm tempted to just promote it to main and call it a day.

DSD-FME is an amazing program to add to my listening tool box, it has abilities other software doesn't. The fact that @lwvmobile has put in so much time and effort to make it a very responsive program means he deserves our thanks.

While he says he is tempted to ... call it a day I don't think he will, there is always that one little thing he notices could make it better and just can't help himself from tinkering or testing something new. That is what makes the program so great!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
So, does anybody have any Motorola APX (or similar) P25p1 radios with 'Soft ID' and 'Unit to Unit GPS' capabilities? I am attempting to debug/implement both features in DSD-FME, and so far only have a sample size of 1, so its kind of difficult to tell for certain if the long/lat calculations are working correctly. I could use some more samples for validation/testing/corrections if so. (MFID 90 Opcode 6)

Also, same for DMR Embedded GPS. I could use samples for validation/testing/corrections. Keep in mind, I do not mean LRRP, I need samples with the Embedded GPS format (link control opcode 8).

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't want/expect anyone to be a personal tutor for me. But I must say I've having a hell of time getting things set up on Windows 10 using WSL. I went to the DSD-FME Wiki page and it looks like the automated install cannot be done (the download no longer exists). So I went to the manual install. I did the PREREQUISITES and rebooted.

Then I was instructed to download the Appx Bundle for Ubuntu (but the link takes me to a page where I can only install it via the App Store thing. I can't seem to download anything, and thus can't renamed anything, unarchive anything, etc. I did install Ubuntu 22.x.x via the App store though.

But I don't know where to go there, or if I need to do something else [instead of installing via the App Store] in order to get things sufficiently prepared.

Mike

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I don't want/expect anyone to be a personal tutor for me. But I must say I've having a hell of time getting things set up on Windows 10 using WSL.
I'm not going to pretend to understand how to configure and setup the WSL version either, I didn't write the WIKI entry for that, I don't use that method, and its also an outdated entry and missing steps. There are several hoops to jump through just to get it to work properly even when you do get WSL setup, and then everything compiled.

I have some users who know how to/can compile with Cygwin, but that is also a pain, but I use it to distribute precompiled versions that are all zipped up and ready to be used in Windows. If you just need the latest precompiled version, which is right now, up-to-date with the github code, then I would download the main 20230915 zip file and the 20231029 zip patch file found here. @RaleighGuy can probably help you out more than I can, I think I put him through the paces enough times that he has it down pretty well.

If you are looking to keep a bleeding edge up-to-date with the github code version, then its probably honestly a lot easier to do so with a VM running Linux Mint (or any Ubuntu/Debian derivitive), a Raspberry Pi, or an old computer with a aforementioned Linux Distro on it. Those versions have it down to a T for a three line copy and paste to install all dependencies and build themselves.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not going to pretend to understand how to configure and setup the WSL version either, I didn't write the WIKI entry for that, I don't use that method, and its also an outdated entry and missing steps. There are several hoops to jump through just to get it to work properly even when you do get WSL setup, and then everything compiled.

I have some users who know how to/can compile with Cygwin, but that is also a pain, but I use it to distribute precompiled versions that are all zipped up and ready to be used in Windows. If you just need the latest precompiled version, which is right now, up-to-date with the github code, then I would download the main 20230915 zip file and the 20231029 zip patch file found here. @RaleighGuy can probably help you out more than I can, I think I put him through the paces enough times that he has it down pretty well.

If you are looking to keep a bleeding edge up-to-date with the github code version, then its probably honestly a lot easier to do so with a VM running Linux Mint (or any Ubuntu/Debian derivitive), a Raspberry Pi, or an old computer with a aforementioned Linux Distro on it. Those versions have it down to a T for a three line copy and paste to install all dependencies and build themselves.

Thanks. I didn't realize (hadn't looked) that you didn't write the wiki article on github for DSD-FME. I did get all the down to the section now where I deal with pulse audio. BUT, I would much rather do as you suggested and get the latest precompiled version and then the zip patch.

I'm fine with Linux in general since I've been a Linux sysadmin since 1994. But the remote machine I want to put this is on is a Win10 machine and I really don't want to move away from that (because I run DSDPlus and SDRTrunk on it too). I'm going to go the easiest route for Win10 :)

Thanks,

Mike

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Also, probably just worthwhile to revisit this post I made a while back, It's literally a video of me extracting and running wav files through dsd-fme in a windows 11 vm.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I didn't realize (hadn't looked) that you didn't write the wiki article on github for DSD-FME. I did get all the down to the section now where I deal with pulse audio. BUT, I would much rather do as you suggested and get the latest precompiled version and then the zip patch.

I'm fine with Linux in general since I've been a Linux sysadmin since 1994. But the remote machine I want to put this is on is a Win10 machine and I really don't want to move away from that (because I run DSDPlus and SDRTrunk on it too). I'm going to go the easiest route for Win10 :)

Thanks,

Mike

Install instructions sent with file links in DM to @mtindor thanks @lwvmobile

Is the patch file at the link you provided in post #707 the same as sent me earlier? It has a different number on it so wanted to check.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I notice that if I run the prebuilt Win executable using -N, the data completely breaks apart as its scrolling down the screen. If I don't use -N, it looks good but it just constantly scrolls things down the screen with none of it standing still (if you get what I'm saying).

I am logging in over Anydesk to a remote location, and that remote location is running Windows 10. Do you think this has something to do with me accessing it remotely, or something to do with me not having hte windows environment set up properly.

I sort of got the notion that the data [for the most part] would stay static on the screen as far as system details (network / site / freqs and such) and that there may only be some scrolling if there was activity on the system. But what I'm seeing is everything repeating immediately, just scrolling down the DOS window.

Mike

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
If you use the -N option to use the Ncurses Terminal, you have to pair it with 2> log.ans or similar if you want a log file (or in otherwords, to shift the stderr output from the console terminal to a file) or you can use 2> /dev/null in Linux or 2> NUL in Windows to send it out into the void.

LimaZulu

I was just wondering if there is another software as an alternative of sdrpp that can be used for trunk tracking, either windows or linux? If yes, what's the lightest one of them?

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
I noticed something when I was testing with the Audio_Work branch; if I have a Talkgroup ID (TGT) that matches a Radio ID (SRC), it will display both the expected Talkgroup name and the Talkgroup name that matches the Radio ID, in the Call History. It's interesting, and I still have testing to do, but it may satisfy anyone wanting to alias the RID. I've attached a picture that may help explain better. Also, this could be an effect of me fiddling with the source code...

This is the contents of my group config csv (911 is the dispatcher's RID):
DEC,Mode(A- Allow, B - Block, DE - Digital Enc),Name of Group,Tag (do not delete this line or won't import properly)
105,A,MedLink,Ambulance
106,A,Testing,Testing
911,A,Dispatcher,RID

Attachments

• fme_rid1.png
    fme_rid1.png
    124 KB · Views: 42

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
can you also send those instructions to me, or even better, make them public.
It should all be available on the Github page in various places, its not going to hold your hand or anything, but there are instructions and examples in multiple places, including in the zip files on the release page, examples folder, and so on.

You can also look through the last few pages of this particular thread and find descriptions of using DSD-FME for various tasks.

Marco192

not my question ... I was referring to windows/wsl installation instructions mentioned above

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It should all be available on the Github page in various places, its not going to hold your hand or anything, but there are instructions and examples in multiple places, including in the zip files on the release page, examples folder, and so on.

You can also look through the last few pages of this particular thread and find descriptions of using DSD-FME for various tasks.
not my question ... I was referring to windows/wsl installation instructions mentioned above

It is really a lot easier than you think, I was able to download the Windows version and get it running in just a few minutes, fine tuning took a bit longer. All I did was follow the instructions and sample BAT files in the install zip and on Github.

Zeifer69

Hi, I am using the windows version and I listen to a conventional NXDN system with several TG but there are some with encryption.
Is there any way to mute the encrypted voice?