DSD FME

Mudary

2914,B,MCSO2_Disp

I think xxxx,B,xxxxxx is banned, try A (allow)

I could be wrong.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
OK, to answer my own question. No, the P25 command doesn't seem to allow group.csv files. When I issue the start command I get the error "Unable to open group file 'test.csv'". I used the example 'group.csv' and configured it with
The group file will import and every trunking system decode can use it in the same format. If it shows "Unable to open group file 'test.csv' it means that dsd-fme couldn't find the .csv file you specified. Probably in a different folder, or different name of something.

Give it a few seconds and it fills in all the information about WACN/SysID/NAC CC frequency RFSS/Site numbers and it tells you if it is P25p1 or p2 and if it is Simulcast or not (QPSK for Simulcast and C4FM for non-simulcast. Also, thanks to lwvmobile I learned that the bit rate will toggle from 4800 for phase 1 and 6000 for phase 2. Probably everybody knew that. but, I didn't.

If you ever need to manually switch between QPSK and C4FM @ 4800sps, you can tap the 'm' key in the ncurses terminal, if you ever need to QPSK/C4FM @ 6000sps, you can use the 'M' key. Its useful when browsing like you are.

I found a new system while exploring and thought I was really on to something. It decoded pretty well. I then went through the 'log.ans' file with grep and found all the frequencies that the system uses. I then went to RRDB and did a frequency search for all systems in the area and , awww, it was a known system. So much for my safari.

I spend a couple of hours mapping out a large Cap+ system once on a remote, only to find it much later on. But, there is a sense of reward in mapping out a system for yourself. Then again, I also don't mind P25 just filling it all in for me either. Much quicker, and no human error involved (outside of code blunders). I kind of wish more DMR systems used the Absolute Channel Assignments and NXDN systems used the DFA systems they have available to them to allow auto frequencies.

I've started testing other P25 systems in my area and if it is a P25p1 non-simulcast it seems to do every bit as good a job as OP25. Like you said be sure all filtering or signal modification is turned off. I had de-emphasis on and as soon as I unchecked it the audio was perfectly clear.

Well, its an honor to be compared to OP25 (God knows I bother Boatbod often with dumb questions lol), but I'm not going to lie, OP25 should perform better on multiple fronts, the most important one is that it can open as many channels as it needs to for voice paths as long as its in the allotted bandwidth of the pool of devices (or single device) that it has available. I can literally only tune to a single frequency at a time as is. Not to mention, simulcast.

But, I did find the DSD-FME with the -ft parameter makes a nice hunting tool. I went CC crawlingand looked for P25 CCs and when I found one I launched the start command

Yeah, the -ft switch is probably the most useful, since most people are interested in DMR and/or P25, so that does both, so that's probably about 85% of what people are interested in, there seems to be a sharp decrease of interest if it isn't DMR or P25, and then NXDN way back in third place for interest. Probably because the distribution of other system types are much less than DMR and P25.

n5pwp

The group file will import and every trunking system decode can use it in the same format. If it shows "Unable to open group file 'test.csv' it means that dsd-fme couldn't find the .csv file you specified. Probably in a different folder, or different name of something.
I finally caught it. I got caught by another one of those sneaky ' '. For some reason when I'm typing I forget that I don't need spaces between every object.:cautious:
If you ever need to manually switch between QPSK and C4FM @ 4800sps, you can tap the 'm' key in the ncurses terminal, if you ever need to QPSK/C4FM @ 6000sps, you can use the 'M' key. Its useful when browsing like you are.
I dumped the dsd-fme help screen to a text file. I have picked up on some of the nice keyboard shortcuts. I missed that one.
I spend a couple of hours mapping out a large Cap+ system once on a remote, only to find it much later on. But, there is a sense of reward in mapping out a system for yourself. Then again, I also don't mind P25 just filling it all in for me either.
I have read some articles online about P25 systems. It seems to me that in a simulcast system there are transmitters located throughout the area of coverage. But it seems there is only on transmitter with the CC. I have found several systems where the CC is barely readable but I can go to their voice channels and they are perfectly fine.
Well, its an honor to be compared to OP25 (God knows I bother Boatbod often with dumb questions lol),
Yeah, me too. I took all of what I learned from him and applied it to the Osmocom version. I like the -X parameter for auto-tuning. It works nicely. But even it will drift over a period of time. When I haven't heard a transmission in a while I can watch the TSBK count on the UI and then look at the CC frequency. If I see it alternating between the primary and secondary frequency I scroll down to the Error Tracking screen and when I see the Tune Errors way off I know its time to stop it running and restart it. That's why its nice to put that sort of information on the screen so you can tell when there's an issue. I'm not sure why it drifts but it does. I'm using a TCXO V3 RTL-SDR Blog dongle on a RPi and it is rock solid.
Yeah, the -ft switch is probably the most useful, since most people are interested in DMR and/or P25, so that does both, so that's probably about 85% of what people are interested in, there seems to be a sharp decrease of interest if it isn't DMR or P25, and then NXDN way back in third place for interest. Probably because the distribution of other system types are much less than DMR and P25.
I need to check out the multi.py way of running OP25. It's supposed to allow the tuning of DMR and NXDNs systems. I should see how well OP25 does in that respect.
Mike

n5pwp

I've been playing with DSD-FME for a while and have noticed something strange with it and the 'Groups' file.
GroupName Anomaly.png
I mentioned before that there appeared to be a linefeed in the group name part of the display where it causes the '[A]' after the name to appear on the next line. This doubles the number of lines being taken up. I thought maybe I needed to shorten the name. When I did that I got an addition to the display. Now the name shows up twice. Once showing the edit and one that shows the name BEFORE the edit. What's going on with that? Does it store the name somewhere and it creeps back into the display?

I also started getting core dumps while running the program. I thought maybe the group.csv was causing the problem so I backed out the '-G'. I also noticed that I was leaving the '-mq' in the start command. Which requires tapping the 'm' key to toggle it back to C4FM. I backed that out too. The core dumps stopped. So I added the '-G' back and I got no core dumps. So I added the '-mq' back and so far I have not gotten any errors. So...?? I figure it was just 'one-of-those-things.
Mike

n5pwp

Something has changed. Now, even though I have some TGs 'B'locked, they are still playing through. I can see the 'B' in the Call history window. I thought if you are 'B' it would not allow the audio through. It seemed to work for a long time. Then it stopped. I wonder if there is something in the code that gets dropped out after a particular branch? I tried doing a Rest Call History but that didn't affect it. It cleared the Call History screen but has no affect on its behavior.

I tried going through the source module for the NCurses stuff to see if I could find the extra linefeed or why the Call History would break the line. But, obviously I'm not a good enough programmer to find it. It looks like C and I gave up on C and C++ and all the derivatives years ago. I'll leave it to the pros.
Mike

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Pretty sure I've addressed both the extra line break issue, and calls that are 'blocked' still playing.

See information in link below on what I said about formatting the group.csv file and line breaks

As far as blocked calls, it only prevents them from being tuned on a voice call grant, if the call occurs while hunting for the control channel, or on the second slot from the TSCC 'CSBK' slot on the control channel, the call may still play. Usually, it should at least mute, but it'll still show up in the call history.

n5pwp

Pretty sure I've addressed both the extra line break issue,
Well, you quite clearly did address that. The strange thing is I don't remember reading that post. I apologize and am duly admonished. :oops:
As far as blocked calls, it only prevents them from being tuned on a voice call grant, if the call occurs while hunting for the control channel, or on the second slot from the TSCC 'CSBK' slot on the control channel, the call may still play. Usually, it should at least mute, but it'll still show up in the call history.
I obviously did not grasp the significance of the explanation when I read it before. I guess it just seemed to be some outlier condition and didn't let it sink in. Since you had said that the tags were being skipped I didn't think the field limiting ',' needed to be there for the tag field so I left it out and, of course, each line was terminated with a line feed. I have now corrected it and it has cleared it up for all entries but one.

1421,A,IAHSec,

This one continues to show the edited version of the name plus the original version. Who knows whats being saved in files so I loaded my group file into a hex editor:

dsd-fme group file Hex.PNG
I have heard of things being saved in files like pictures that have been modified to hide something and people have been able to go back and remove the obfuscation to reveal what was being hidden. I thought maybe text files could do that too. I was looking to see if my text editor saved that one string for some reason. As you can see the string is not saved. Also, I noticed that there are still x'0a's at the end of each record. But, since I placed a coma delimiting the 3rd and 4th field I hope that is not causing a problem.

All of this has been done on Linux. I have not brought the file over to Windows where it can screw with the formatting differences between the DOS world and the Unix\Linux world.

So we're better now that I terminated the records properly. But that anomaly with the IAHSec record is really consternating.
Mike

n5pwp

I have now corrected it and it has cleared it up for all entries but one.

1421,A,IAHSec,
Let me slap my own wrist. On 'closer' observation this dummy had entered the record twice. I originally had it written out as 'IAH Security' and for who knows what reason I entered it again as 'IAHSec'.

AAAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh....

n5pwp

One more thing. I'm using DSD to decode Amateur radio DMR. When the TGT id is displayed that should be the Talkgroup number. Is the SRC the DMR ID of the ham that is transmitting? IF not, what is it?
Mike

n5pwp

Thanks. I wonder if we could add the DMR ID database as a -G group file to get it to display the callsign? Is there a limit to how big the group file can be? I have a DMR HT and it has the database stored internally and it displays callsigns. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Mike

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Is there any guarantee that the radio will remain with the same user? I know with public safety I've given up trying to assign names to unit IDs since they swap out radios so frequently. Just an FYI.

n5pwp

Bote: Yes, the DMR ID is connected to the amateur operator's callsign. It's not like when police are assigned a different car/radio and the RID doesn't go with the officer. I tried connecting RID's with individual police units and it was a waste of time. Ham callsigns stay until the ham operator goes SK (Silent Key).
Mike

ki4hyf

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I wonder if we could add the DMR ID database as a -G group file to get it to display the callsign? Is there a limit to how big the group file can be? I have a DMR HT and it has the database stored internally and it displays callsigns. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Mike
I don't think there is RID support right now, but it would be nice. I would imagine it's not high on the priority list.

n5pwp

ki4hyf: Yeah, I thought some more on that and we're currently only looking at the TGT id not the SRC id. Oh well.
Mike

n5pwp

Thanks. I wonder if we could add the DMR ID database as a -G group file to get it to display the callsign?
I'll answer my own question again. You don't need the database DSD-FME already displays the information if it is programmed into the radio.

DSD-FME DMR Callsign.png

I guess that's what the D Xtra field is for.I have seen other calls come in with names and callsign and email addresses...
Never mind.
Mike