DSD FME

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Looks like you missed a few dependencies to install, namely ncurses, you may have also missed the nifty automatic install script. I'd delete the current dsd-fme folder you have, and run the installer script by copying, pasting, and running these commands into the terminal, one at a time.

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwvmobile/dsd-fme/pulseaudio/download-and-install.sh
chmod +x download-and-install.sh
./download-and-install.sh

The version in the repository doesn't work because OSS audio hasn't been supported in Linux in like 10 years or something like that, and the port audio code is kind of broken as well. That's why I made the pulse audio branch, to fix the audio.

When you get it installed, you will want to run the virtualsink.sh script and launch dsd-fme it with the command
Code:
`dsd-fme -N 2> log.ans`
and open your pulse audio volume control and route audio in and out. Here is a video where I kind of show how to route the audio when you have it up and running. Just pretend the media player is the same as GQRX, you'll be routing the audio the same way, just put the audio into the virtual sink and have dsd-fme listen to the virtual sink.

OK Thank you, I will try to start over again with this and hopefully I will get it right. One thing though, when I install and run, can I simply listen to what I tune in without recording it?

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Thank you, I will try to start over again with this and hopefully I will get it right. One thing though, when I install and run, can I simply listen to what I tune in without recording it?
OK I was able to install with no problem but cant go any further with the part after this: "When you get it installed, you will want to run the virtualsink.sh script and launch dsd-fme it with the command"
If I run that command: `dsd-fme -N 2> log.ans` I get no response, see pic below named screen1.png. I watched video and copied the virtualsink.sh script and ran it but I got another error:

bob@bob-HP-EliteDesk-800-G2-DM-65W:~$ ./virtualsink.sh
bash: ./virtualsink.sh: No such file or directory
I am missing a step or two somewhere, sorry. Please help when u have a chance! If I run "dsd-fme I get this screen in pic 2, so that part is working.

Attachments

• screen1.png
    screen1.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 29
  • dsdfme.png
    dsdfme.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 30

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
bash: ./virtualsink.sh: No such file or directory

Oh, right, almost missed that part. Either copy and paste the virtualsink.sh script from the dsd-fme folder into your working directory, or call it from the dsd-fme folder each time. You may need to run chmod +x virtualsink.sh first to give it permission to execute. Make sure to only run the script one time after each boot, or else you'll end up with multiple sinks, one for each time you run the script without a reboot.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Oh, right, almost missed that part. Either copy and paste the virtualsink.sh script from the dsd-fme folder into your working directory, or call it from the dsd-fme folder each time. You may need to run chmod +x virtualsink.sh first to give it permission to execute. Make sure to only run the script one time after each boot, or else you'll end up with multiple sinks, one for each time you run the script without a reboot.
OK Let me do those things and I will post back.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK Let me do those things and I will post back.
OK I did everything you suggested and the virtualsink.sh working and I checked the pulseaudio vol control and everything is just like in the video. When I type in "dsd-fme -N 2> log.ans" (without quotes) I get the screen below. But what is supposed to happen? I set it for DMR but where do you enter the frequency? Can I monitor instead of recording with this? Is there a way to use GQRX or something where I can hear audio? Not sure what to do at this point. (!) I tuned in to a DMR freq in GQRX and selected virtualsink2 in the audio output in GQRX. I noticed some text appeared in the Terminal and it briefly turned light green at one point. At bottom of last pic is the text that appeared. I notice when there is a DMR signal, that text area turns light green then back to white.

Attachments

• dsd22.png
    dsd22.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 41
  • dsd gqrx .png
    dsd gqrx .png
    555.7 KB · Views: 42
  • bottom.png
    bottom.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Just set the frequency and VFO in GQRX to what you want to listen to, and route the audio into it, but make sure to route the audio out from DSD-FME to your normal speakers, and not back into the virtual sink.

Screenshot_66.png

Screenshot_65.png

Just as a personal note though, going back and using GQRX after using SDR++ for so long, its kind of a pain and has this weird tuning lag and other little things, I wasn't having a good time with it.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Working fine, I just had to make sure my input was set to Virtual Sink and then my output to Built-in speakers and setting Gqrx currently, I have attached the settings i used for anyone using Gqrx. When selecting Mode: Narrow FM remember the three dots .... to bring the more options menu up
set for gqrx.png

Also, worth mentioning, quite a while back it was mentioned that if you do decoding and use GQRX, click the three dots next to mode, and change the settings to match whats in the photo. Probably was also why I was having a hard time getting anything decent out of GQRX.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I have done what you said, checked all settings but I am still confused what all this is supposed to do! I am trying to decode DMR, I see activity on GQRX and occasionally hear the DMR data noise but nothing on the Terminal. I dont understand if GQRX is just playing the digital DMR noise, how do I get it to produce voices when they talk? It doesn't seem like dsd fme is hearing. Scrfeen not showing anything but the block letter intro page in terminal. I pressed "esc" to get into menu and made sure DMR is selected. There are other things in there but I didnt touch anything. I noticed when there is a signal, on the Pulse Audio volume control RECORDING tab, no signal showing on bottom bar below the top bar with the 100% on it.

Attachments

• vol.png
    vol.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I noticed I had the wrong setting in Pulse audio for gqrx.....it was supposed to be on virtualsink2 but was on speakers...I changed it so now look at attached pic, there are things that appeared in Terminal. So this is as far as I have gotten so far.

Attachments

• dsd3.png
    dsd3.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 34

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Hit file and open a new terminal tab, and then run the command

tail -n 40 -f log.ans

See what the console log shows, looks like it got a color code of 12, but doesn't look like there is any sync right now. Does that frequency stay pretty busy, or is it mostly dead? Could also be settings inside of GQRX, make sure its set to NFM, and has the settings mentioned in the photo above, and that the gain and all that stuff is adequate.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
here is what the comand: tail -n 40 -f log.ans showed:

But nothing else happening. I will call it a night for now, getting tired. Now sure whats up with this. Do I have to set anything other than which mode, (DMR, P25 etc) I want to decode in the dsd-fme menu? Yes that freq is kinda quiet....I just put in an 800mhz P25 control channel which is always active. But not sure how wide to set filter in gqrx, currently at 12 hz

Attachments

• dmr.png
    dmr.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well, looks like its decoding just fine, its just idle, guess they don't have much to talk about right now. When they start talking you should be able to hear it just fine. If not, might double check to make sure the audio to the speakers aren't muted or something.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Well, looks like its decoding just fine, its just idle, guess they don't have much to talk about right now. When they start talking you should be able to hear it just fine. If not, might double check to make sure the audio to the speakers aren't muted or something.
OK I will go thru everything again in morning, thanks for helping.

hamradionl

DSD fastlane run for some years. There are some new encr. DMR so lets try DsD-FME, but i get to old for this :)

While using windows 10
Using SDR# as receiver Virtual audio cable A, not able to get any signal pipe in to DsD-FME
Using SDR++ as receiver over network, not able to get any signal in to DsD-FME

May overlook something?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I think I have it working because I did hear dispatchers voice come thru talking to patrol. I think there must be some other kind of non-voice signals coming through on that freq in addition to the dispatch, because when there is a voice, some fields in the call information section of dsd-fme turn RED. And the surrounding text briefly turns light green. But most of the time, when theres a transmission the audio graph in gqrx shows activity, but no voice......I will try to find a more active DMR freq. then see how it goes.

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well I did get this to BRIEFLY work...all of a sudden I was getting audio from PD dispatcher. Then a while later not fully working. It's wierd cause I triple checked all settings in gqrx and pulse audio. I see a signal show on fft when theres a transmission and in the Terminal where dsd-fme is, the text below "input/output" turns light green when theres a transmission but I dont hear voice. In Level shows between 29 and 50% so I know theres a signal getting thru its just not audible. Can't troubleshoot much more cause everything looks like its ok in all settings. It was nice when it was briefly working, audio was really good but no clue why it wont work now.

Keep in mind that depending on the system and who is using it, time of the day, day of the week, etc, there may not be voice carried every the sync lights up green. It could just be short idle data bursts every minute. It could also belong to a trunked system so you only catch voice when it rotates to that particular LCN. I've got some systems nearby that voice activity seldomly occurs on, its just not busy, or only used during certain times of the day, etc.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is the signal level? Is it good/bad/ugly? If its good, and it sounds like it is if you heard some clean audio earlier.

While using windows 10
Using SDR# as receiver Virtual audio cable A, not able to get any signal pipe in to DsD-FME

Well, which version are you using, the precompiled version? Or one of the branches from Github?

What kind of system are you trying to decode? Depending on which type of system it is, you may need to configure for that system type in particular (especially NXDN)

Other than that, as long as the VFO is set up correctly in SDR# (don't ask me proper setting on that one) or in SDR++, should be pretty good with good signal, and correct decoding types selected.

Not quite sure what you mean? Are you using SDR++ with a networked based device, or are you trying to use SDR++ and have DSD-FME connect to it with the direct audio link tcp?